OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Slimmmmmm said:
Great guide m8
wink.gif

Maybe some "optional extras" can be added or links to relevant topics, things like how to trucha patch IOS etc. I saw a new tool for doing this here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=156187

[...]

No, just how to get homebrew running. I want that even noobs learn what is required for what and what not. If i put something else in the guide, people will start think it's required to run homebrew.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No, you couldn't brick your Wii using this tools, otherwise WiiPower wouldn't had write this guide, he's the MAN, so far the bricks that have been hapening here at GBATemp are because of people deleting IOS, or installing bad .wad files..!!
smile.gif

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Diviance said:
Perhaps a stupid question; But is it possible to brick the system using this softmod?

The only way i could imagine you could brick your Wii using the tools in my guide would be if you get problems with the HackMii installer while installing BootMii as boot2. That's the only brick danger i'm aware of(and using AnyRegionChanger, but that's described). But tema twizzers waited months to release BootMii to make sure it's safe to install. If you would still worry, wait for the next BootMii release(and a few days for volunteer guinea pigs) which will fix some bugs.

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
Hi i was reading this guide again and perhaps you should post a direct link to the HBC 1.0.1 (I could provide if you need) As well in my experience 1.0.2 (The one used by hackmii installer) dint work for me. It could go next to the hackmii installer link just a thought.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
djda said:
Hi i was reading this guide again and perhaps you should post a direct link to the HBC 1.0.1 (I could provide if you need) As well in my experience 1.0.2 (The one used by hackmii installer) dint work for me. It could go next to the hackmii installer link just a thought.

What do you mean with "didn't work for me"?

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
Well the installer worked but the HBC it installed on my wii gave me errors. Whenever i either reloaded or exited it would give me a black screen. If i booted apps out of the HBC it would give me a black screen. Im running 3.2U and cIOS rev10.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
djda said:
Well the installer worked but the HBC it installed on my wii gave me errors. Whenever i either reloaded or exited it would give me a black screen. If i booted apps out of the HBC it would give me a black screen. Im running 3.2U and cIOS rev10.
You can get 1.01 from the official website, about halfway down the page http://hbc.hackmii.com/download/
It should work for you considering you are on 3.2 and already softmodded.

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
Oh yea i stated in my previous post i reinstalled the 1.0.1 i had on my wii for the past few months just wanted to give an idea to others who may have experienced the same problem but thanks anyhow

dj_linz6

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
ok thanks for the great guide... i followed it .. got the homebrew channel up no problem. arranged my sd card with apps folder etc... but nothing comes up on the hbc? this is the same sd card i used with bannerbomb. i just did bannerbomb and bootmii - and i didnt get any errors requiring new ios or anything. just worked perfectly. tried with another sd card aswell.

i tried to get homebrew browser on the wii using wiiload... that worked.. and it said i had some other apps installed? but i couldnt see them in the channel. and, yes the meta.xml and the icon were present in each folder. then homebrew browser, and i cant get it working again..

ive got a japanese wii, menu 4.0J... and its a got a wiikey modchip installed. but im not sure of the exact version of the modchip, since i bought it from a friend, and he doesnt know what version it is.

will that make a difference? and i didnt install any cios/ios... cos i dont need the backup loader.

any ideas guys?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"Prepare your storage device by creating a "apps" folder on it. Basically everything needed to run applications is a sub folder of this "apps" folder with a boot.dol or boot.elf in it."

Maybe i need to spell it differnently, for application "x" you need:
/apps/x/boot.dol on your sd card.

SublimeAndEtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
"Prepare your storage device by creating a "apps" folder on it. Basically everything needed to run applications is a sub folder of this "apps" folder with a boot.dol or boot.elf in it."

and in case you didn't get what this quote meant, the application name is actually used for the folder holding the .dol file. The file itself inside the folder should simply be named boot.dol

Example: /apps/NeoGammaR2/boot.dol

Coopers22

Trophies
XP
Country
OK. So I put the bannerbomb private folder on my 512 Mb SD card which i formatted to FAT.

I also put the hackmii beta 2 installer renamed to boot.elf in the root.

Now, when I start my wii, and Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Channels --> SD Card.
A message appears asking to "load boot.dol/.elf".

I chose yes, then it goes to a black screen, and my wii drive light flashes.

However, running Loadmii seems to work.

But so far, I an not able to install the HBC.

Can anyone help me get past this or is it a known issue?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do you have WiiConnect disabled as advised? If not this could be the problem.

If you can load LoadMii, are you able to load the HackMii installer v2 with LoadMii?

Coopers22

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks.

I definitely have wiiconnect24 turned off.

I didn't think of trying to load the hackmii installer with loadmii. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

dj_linz6

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
SublimeAndEtc said:
WiiPower said:

and in case you didn't get what this quote meant, the application name is actually used for the folder holding the .dol file. The file itself inside the folder should simply be named boot.dol

Example: /apps/NeoGammaR2/boot.dol

Thanks. But, yeah, I understand - that's exactly what I've got... sd card with /apps/homebrew_browser/boot.dol and the xml and png and other files..
I dont understand what's happening, cos I've followed the guides and everything else has worked perfectly upto this point!

It's really frustating that the apps are not showing up! what should i do? try another sd card? and like i said, i tried using wiiload to install the homebrew browser... and it saw that i had the "heliumboy" app installed! which i had previously copied to the sd card! but it wasnt showing in the main homebrew menu...

is there anything else special that i have to do to softmod.. the way i see it.. just bannerbomb.. and then install the homebrew channel out of bootmii... am i missing something?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dj_linz6 said:
[...]

Thanks. But, yeah, I understand - that's exactly what I've got... sd card with /apps/homebrew_browser/boot.dol and the xml and png and other files..
I dont understand what's happening, cos I've followed the guides and everything else has worked perfectly upto this point!

It's really frustating that the apps are not showing up! what should i do? try another sd card? and like i said, i tried using wiiload to install the homebrew browser... and it saw that i had the "heliumboy" app installed! which i had previously copied to the sd card! but it wasnt showing in the main homebrew menu...

is there anything else special that i have to do to softmod.. the way i see it.. just bannerbomb.. and then install the homebrew channel out of bootmii... am i missing something?

Are you using a sdhc card? If yes, well, some sdhc cards are not compatible with HBC. And bannerbomb, BootMii and HBC have next to nothing to do with a softmod, they are just for running homebrew which you can use to softmod, but it's not its purpose.

On the root of the sd card, there has to be a folder apps and inside that there has to be 1 folder for each app, and inside that, there has to be a boot.dol. That's it, if you did this, and it does not work, your card is not compatible, it's a bug or whatever.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Great guide. Now I can install HBC.

But no matter how hard I search, I found no simple complete guide for softmod. Would you please make one. Thank you.

OR Any requirement if I want to install cIOS38 rev13 from HBC ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol