Hacking Looking for info regarding what I need

Pyrofyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been reading the stickies, that haven't helped much (partly because of their age) and some other recent threads, to get info, but haven't gotten as much as I would want. I'm really interested in modding my Wii, and if possible getting my cousin's modded too (before she leaves to japan in a month @_@), but it's so confusing because not to long ago (a few months) most places stated that I would need different versions based on when I bought my Wii, but what I'm seeing now is that the only difference is really the country in which you bought it.

So, as such I have quite a few questions, and I'd love any replies really. :3

1)I bought my Wii around xmas (shortly after), does this mean that I can use the "Key-Clip" http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12713

2)Is it okay for me to use the "Key-Clip" and will it work fine?

3)I understand that taking apart the Wii is easy, with this solderless method I shouldn't have much to look out for right? I'm used to opening DS's by now, so I figure the Wii shouldn't be much different, just no tugging, keep screws safe, etc?

4)Do I NEED a specific 'high-end' DVD-R/RW drive? The current one is just an updated Wii one. I know of the Verbatim discs being the best, and that's fine and all, but the drive is the main problem, cause it would mean spending another 100 or so bucks on it depending.

5)Is the compatibility near perfect or is it what's listed from the GBAtemp lists? Cause if so, the compatibility seems poor (although the lists seem old)

6)Are there cheaper modchips than the Key-clip that are just as easy to install?

7)Is there anything else I need to know in specific?

--
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps :0

Pyrofyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It dropped quite fast, I'm guessing this is also a fast subfora?

If no one can answer my questions, can they at least point me to the most accurate guide for searching for what modchip is best, and which to use for which Wiis?

DarkSzero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
1) I bought my NTSC Wii a couple weeks before 2007's Christmas, and it has a D2C Chipset, so I bought a D2CKey. Not sure what's the thing you linked.
2) Don't know what that thing is.
3) I had someone install the chip for me, but I watched the whole process. Shouldn't be much of a hassle, the only thing I think that was hard, is the 30+ soldering points the chip has (it's one of the first editions of a d2c chip), and doing that in the Wii's small DVD drive. But if you're used to opening DS, I think you won't lots of problems.
4) The DVD burners I use are all from more than 2 years ago, and the sucess ratio is very high. Actually, it seems to depend more on the media than on the burner.
5) My D2CKey haven't disappointed me even once. The biggest problem I ever had was Movie/Sound desync, but it was with I believe a PAL game.

6 & 7) Not sure.

Pyrofyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks that does indeed answer a lot of information!
ohmy.gif

Well the one I was looking at (linked) is solderless, and the 5+/30+ points is what turned me off, so yea that's why I chose that one (Although I've yet to choose any, that's just one choice)

Cresh07

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you go to the link in the description of the key clip (linked above) it says in bold

"And it support D2A/D2B and DMS console only, not support the D2C console, and don't support the pins-cut version too."

you wii is most likely D2C, Use your serial code (on the bottom of your wii) to check to see what your wii is HERE!!!...

I bought mine the day after thanksgiving 07, and mine is most likely the D2C.

Unfortionately i can't be more help, I posted a topic asking the same question exactly 1 min before you made this topic, but i never got any responce to that.

Pyrofyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got...

Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-D2C.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.

--
It seems that for the most part there is a big lack of Wii modding info, and it's more for peolpe who will simply delve into it, and I'm highly unwilling to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: