MSXAdvance compatibility - many games in gamelist.txt don't work

patters

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have experimented a fair bit with MSXAdvance but I can only seem to get quite simple games working. Nemesis is probably the best title that actually works. The included gamelist.txt file suggests that titles such as Nemesis 2, Salamander, F-1 Spirit, Fantasy Zone, King's Valley II should all work. I can't get them booted at all. I am attempting to run the ROMs. Should I be using disk images instead perhaps?

I have tried various BIOS images, but the only ones that seem to work reliably are the "MSX System v1.0 + MSX BASIC", or CBIOS 0.21 (latest 0.29 doesn't seem to work). Is there in fact a way to get the above games working with MSXAdvance?

Last edited by patters,

patters

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If I change the mapper manually in the emulator menu I can at least get some of them to start but they all seem to have some sprites missing in game, or crash within a few seconds.

The only one that seems to be stable that uses a different mapper to the default Konami4 one is R-Type.

I also tried the older versions of MSXAdvance in case compatibility suffered in v0.4, but I experienced similar results. It seems odd that so few of these mappers apparently work, especially since some of the archived pocketheaven forum comments from that time suggest that compatibility was good:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070612060046/http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=3768

Has anyone had better luck?

Last edited by patters,

patters

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, finally got it. Basically MSXAdvance 0.3 and 0.4 are quite badly broken :(
MSXAdvance 0.2 is much, much more compatible. Nemesis 2, Salamander, F-1 Spirit, Penguin Adventure all work properly with this version. I still can't get King's Valley II nor Fantasy Zone working though, even trying all the way back to the initial 0.1 release. Strangely, they had been reported working.

EDIT - ok, King's Valley 2 is now working. Some of these games have separate SCC audio versions, and occasionally they don't work properly whereas the main release does. This in itself is also odd, considering that MSXAdvance supports the SCC audio chip. Still no joy with Fantasy Zone though.

Last edited by patters,
Reactions: hippy dave

patters

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think there are a lot of broken ROMs out there or odd ones that may have been converted from tape or disk. Fantasy Zone certainly works using:
Fantasy Zone 1 - Sega (1987) [GoodMSX] [698].rom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to