Please suggest a method for free 100GB+ cloud storage

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Tempers.
I have a 100GB folder which contains all of my medias (mostly videogames music, nothing very sensitive).
I have some backup HDD but I prefer to store them in the cloud.
Do you have experience please with some storage provider that offers 100GB storage for free? Any suggestion? (like segmenting folders...etc).

Thanks

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm not aware of anyone offering free 100gb+ cloud storage. Highest free tier I've ever seen is like maybe 20GB at best, and I suspect that'll always be the case because storage is expensive. You could probably cheese it by just signing up to as many cloud storage services as possible and using their free tiers, but I suspect that would be too messy and cumbersome.

AFAIK the cheapest options for cloud storage usually falls to Google/Apple/Microsoft, I believe all three have 200GB offerings for like $3 a month, that's the best you'll ever get.

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks. Probably I will use multiple accounts.
It's not important, just a backup in case I ever lose my storage.

I'm searching online if I can also find some free service to upload a file to multiple sites...

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for all the suggestions. I probably will create multiple accounts.

Yahoo mail gives you 1TB for free, but sadly doesn't offer any cloud storage service (like Drive).

JerryCordova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Managing a hefty folder of media can be a challenge, especially when it comes to finding the right cloud storage solution. Personally, I've found that office 365 cloud backup is a game-changer. It seamlessly integrates with my workflow, offering reliable storage and easy access to my files from anywhere. Plus, the peace of mind knowing my data is secure is priceless. I once lost all my game saves due to a hardware failure, and since then, I've made it a priority to back everything up. It's saved me more than once.

Last edited by JerryCordova,
Reactions: depaul

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Free, there is a way, but you'll need to do a few tasks every month to not raise suspicions, no warez, no weird stuff, but you can enroll in MS Dev program, they give you an E5 license MS 365 account, with up to 5TB Onedrive, look it up.

Bunnyale

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
If You have videos in collection, you can host them with an unlimited amount storage on YouTube. Simply upload them to YouTube and select the “Private” or “Unlisted” to make them available for you only. I'm not sure abt music of .mp3 is possible to store their, but guess you can check it out with your YouTube acc. Also, at least 2 y ago, Gooogle photo storage was unlimited if the quality was below 2048px or if you let google resize them. i.e. with Google Photo you could store above the drive limit of 15 GB. Hope they didn't change their terms and the option is still valid.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you doing this for purely backup reasons or for remote access? Because one option may be to ask your parents or someone with decent enough upload speed to run an RPi and maybe setup tailscale or some other VPN on it for secure remote access.

I personally wouldn't trust any service which provides a significant amount of cloud storage for free/cheap long term.

Also, if for backup purposes, I'd encrypt/obfuscate any files in case someone goes on a copyright spree.

Reactions: Bunnyale and depaul

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Be careful, my browser won't even open the site due to "too many redirects"
https://www.terabox.com/terabox-cloud-storage-for-pc-free-download
Tried that
Post automatically merged:

So far so good with Terabox.

It definitely offers 1TB free storage.
There is a 4GB size limit per file. You can compress everything and split by 4GB size (my purpose is just to backup, not to access my files everyday..).

image_2024-03-27_105700247.png

Last edited by depaul,

Bunnyale

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'm also not sure abt reliability of Terabox.
It looks like they guarantee it as safe only for 200 MB even at package description... and there it's mentioned limit to save not more than 20 files.
Really strange source without any identification who is keeping your data. Looks really risky...

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember trying a host that allegedly offered "1TB free" but I could never actually make use of it so I just gave up. If 1TB was that easy to give away, then why can't MEGA do it too? Haha (they did give away 50GB before and now it's only 20GB).

That being said, 128GB and 256GB USB sticks are very cheap nowadays (from reputable stores, not AliExpress who claims to sell 256TB for $5) and you could carry it in your pocket/wallet so it'd be even better than cloud hosting (without access to the internet).

Reactions: Bunnyale and depaul

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't complain. In fact I'm very happy with Terabox.
Just I hope the host is reliable and sustainable. There is always a risk it goes out of business some day... but I think Terabox will be a successful business.

image_2024-03-27_230630212.png

Reactions: Shane_Hussy

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That being said, 128GB and 256GB USB sticks are very cheap nowadays (from reputable stores, not AliExpress who claims to sell 256TB for $5) and you could carry it in your pocket/wallet so it'd be even better than cloud hosting (without access to the internet).
Online data storage solves the off-site problem for those poor souls without friends.

I hope you don't care about privacy by using Terabox
VeraCrypt? I wouldn't trust any "cloud" provider. Neither in privacy nor in reliability of service.

There is a 4GB size limit per file.
Is their storage formatted with FAT32 or what? (Joking:rofl2:)
Seriously: This is a speed bump, but it can be handled like you said.

===========
Terabox looks too good to be true, are there any risks in trying?
↓↓↓
To partially answer my own question: Login security looks underwhelming. Password length limited to 15 chars (WTF?), which makes KeePassXC estimate an entropy somewhere around 80 to 90 bits for a random password (without extended ASCII). This is probably on the lower end of complexity for withstanding bruteforce attacks… Given 56 bit DES was bruteforced end of the 1990s and can now be done at home with a single big NVIDIA.
Also: No OTP based 2FA.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...