Graphics juggler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
today I decided it's time for more space, so I ordered a 1TB Simple Drive III from Hitachi.
I wanna set it up as an multi purpose drive so i can plug it into the wii but also can use it under win7 without having more then one partition.

So I thought I'll format that 1TB with only one NTFS partition and put my games as wbfs files in a folder called wbfs on that NTFS drive.
If I remember correct, usb loaders and most homebrew can work with NTFS, nowadays.(?)

my old hdd is old, crappy and small, so I wanna waste it.
The few games I got there on a wbfs drive, I wanna convert to non splitted wbfs files and put them also on the new NTFS drive.
I would use the Wii Backup Manager for converting and transferring.
That would be faster then redumping my discs, i guess.

is wbfs file the right choice? or what about the new ciso format that came up recently?
both filetypes won't waste space, like if they are "inflated" on ntfs drives?

I would like to hear your thoughts and if you think another HDD setup would be better.

m3xic4ndiy3i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
NTFS is a good election because u can easily defrag ur HD, WII Backup manager is to me (after test 3 or 4 WBFS managers) the most stable of all, even more is multitask.....(time is money
smile.gif
)

mmm i think u can let in that TB a little FAT partition, 10 or 15 Gb is okay:

1.- to dump games on it (because with USB Loader GX is not possible in NTFS)(but in FAT yes ! u can...) Then easily u can transfer to the NTFS partition
2.- ROM´s for your emulators
3.- Images (art), of the games discs
4.- a backup of all WII utilities u have all over the desktop.

dnt forget to make both partitions active........and if is possible first the FAT partition

from USB Loader GX readme:
QUOTE said:
Required

The partitions have to be formatted to FAT (or NTFS ...tested and working ..). Mark the partition you want to use for WBFS as Active.

If you make multiple partitions, the First partition must be the one for image,... and the second one for WBFS (for Wii games)

oooo if u want to defrag, try VOPT... thats because with perfectdisk (in m case )u can do a mess with the SMART Placement (for a normal use is the best to me)

ISO image format works fine to me...

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
really the only down side is that you must use a PC to put anything on it. this means that you must download games or you must dump the game with a different method and then convert it to whatever format you want to end up with. so dumping the average game and converting it is about 1h to 1h10min.

also only like 5 homebrew apps can access it, and maybe one or 2 will actually write to it. so no forwarder channels (yet) can load a dol from it. you will still need a fat partition somewhere if you want to have a loader save settings and artwork.

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you're both right.
a lil' FAT partition is a good point. I didn't thought of dumping wouldn't work, cos backups are read from ntfs. Thought both would work with ntfs.
so to dump my discs and for better hb compatibility I'll put a small FAT partition, then NTFS one on that drive.

Thanks for bringing that to my mind..

what about ciso? I guess forwarders and usbloader gx except uloader can't work with ciso either, at time. Do they work with with wbfs files ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1