Sonic Mania for Wii

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you be so kind as to share the files?
I tried to do it myself and it didn't work.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Did you download the mod archive? On the page I linked to, click the "Manual Download" link and then the "Download" link to get the mod in a zip file. From there, just extract it and follow the instructions in my post above. I can't share the files here since I'm not the one who made the mod.

EDIT: It looks like the folder structure was changed slightly in the latest release on github. You'll need to take that into account.
Post automatically merged:

latest wii version with cmake, which I wasn't going to share. I did this today, but it's untested:
I just tested it and it works fine. :)

However, a problem I've had with ALL of the Wii builds I've tried (whether from github, this thread or my own builds) is that none of the ending videos play. I just hear a few seconds of the streamed audio on a black screen and then it goes straight to the credits. I'm sure this is already a known problem but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,
Reactions: luizal

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
For anyone having trouble on compiling Sonic Mania for Wii with the new CMake method starting from git 431b6b2, here's my method of how did i build it for Wii (on Windows), with latest devkitPPC/libOGC: (thanks @godreborn for some tips) ;)

1. Open MSYS2
2. Git clone the Sonic Mania decompilation repo by Rubberduckycooly (https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-Mania-Decompilation) with this command: git clone --recursive https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-Mania-Decompilation.git
3. Go into the folder /Sonic-Mania-Decompilation/dependencies/ folder
4. Delete the old RSDKv5 folder
5. Inside the /dependencies/ folder, git clone the RSDKv5 decompilation for Wii repo by Mefiresu (https://github.com/Mefiresu/RSDKv5-Decompilation) with this command: git clone --recursive https://github.com/Mefiresu/RSDKv5-Decompilation.git
6. Rename the RSDKv5-Decompilation folder to RSDKv5
7. Return to the base repo (Sonic-Mania-Decompilation) folder with cd .. several times until you're on the base folder
8. Run this command: cmake -H. -Bbuild-wii -DGAME_STATIC=ON -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/opt/devkitpro/cmake/Wii.cmake
9. Once finished, go to the build-wii folder with cd build-wii
10. Once on the build-wii folder, simply run make
11. Wait for a while to compile...
12. Once finished you'll see your new RetroEngine.dol file ready to use, on the folder /Sonic-Mania-Decompilation/build-wii/dependencies/RSDKv5/

I'm gonna test this build and if we're lucky i will post the new build with Plus DLC enabled here later.

Latest build of Sonic Mania for Wii (with Plus DLC enabled) as of May 15, 2023 :)

With latest commits from:
Mefiresu's RSDKv5 Decompilation for Wii until git 431b6b2
Rubberduckycooly's Sonic Mania Decompilation until git 551516f

This still require the meta.xml file of Sonic Mania from official release of the Wii RSDKv5 decompilation, as well as the Data.rsdk of the game (with the Plus DLC purchased or enabled) to be at root:/RSDKv5/Mania/Data.rsdk

Please test this build, thanks ;)

Attachments

• SonicMania+PlusDLC_RSDKv5_Wii_15052023.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Last edited by SaulFabre,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
another successful compile. I tested it on the vwii. one thing worth noting is that the controller had to be turned off, then back on for the inputs to work. however, it is a version 0.10, so expect bugs. it did run at full speed as well:

View attachment 330183

Amazing; if it can work on the Wii I wonder if someone can make it work on the Dreamcast? Although the load times would be murder.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the No Special Stage Decorations mod didn't include the 7 extra Plus stages, I made a new one from scratch to cover all 14 of the ones in Mania Plus. The download and install instructions are in the link:

https://gamebanana.com/mods/443928

As an aside, I've noticed that the special stages seem to run faster in the Wii port than in any of the other console/handheld ones I've tried. I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I'm playing in 240p on the Wii. But even with the above mod they still run super slow on Vita and Wii U.

And about the videos not playing, I read that it's because the Wii doesn't have enough RAM or something. I even tried shrinking the videos down in ffmpeg with the theora codec, to no avail. I must have tried a dozen different resolutions and output settings. I'm guessing it must be about more than the size of the videos.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The decomp expects videos with the Theora codec. I don't think other formats would work without some coding changes.

That's a shame because the Wii can play high quality videos, like in Rayman Origins for the Wii.

If you could use a different decoder you could just make bigger file sized videos in a different format and it would play just fine.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone having trouble on compiling Sonic Mania for Wii with the new CMake method starting from git 431b6b2, here's my method of how did i build it for Wii (on Windows), with latest devkitPPC/libOGC: (thanks @godreborn for some tips) ;)

1. Open MSYS2
2. Git clone the Sonic Mania decompilation repo by Rubberduckycooly (https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-Mania-Decompilation) with this command: git clone --recursive https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-Mania-Decompilation.git
5. Inside the /dependencies/ folder, git clone the RSDKv5 decompilation for Wii repo by Mefiresu (https://github.com/Mefiresu/RSDKv5-Decompilation) with this command: git clone --recursive https://github.com/Mefiresu/RSDKv5-Decompilation.git
7. Return to the base repo (Sonic-Mania-Decompilation) folder with cd .. several times until you're on the base folder
8. Run this command: cmake -H. -Bbuild-wii -DGAME_STATIC=ON -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/opt/devkitpro/cmake/Wii.cmake
12. Once finished you'll see your new RetroEngine.dol file ready to use, on the folder /Sonic-Mania-Decompilation/build-wii/dependencies/RSDKv5/

I'm gonna test this build and if we're lucky i will post the new build with Plus DLC enabled here later.

Latest build of Sonic Mania for Wii (with Plus DLC enabled) as of May 15, 2023 :)

This still require the meta.xml file of Sonic Mania from official release of the Wii RSDKv5 decompilation, as well as the Data.rsdk of the game (with the Plus DLC purchased or enabled) to be at root:/RSDKv5/Mania/Data.rsdk

you've convoluted the instructions a bit. step 2: don't use --recursive. it won't make the RSDKv5 folder at all, so you won't have to delete anything. and step 5, you can name the repo folder whatever you want by adding a name after the github url, so just name it RSDKv5. btw, you do want recursive here. recursive means subfolders, including git repos, so it will download the github contents from other repos if they're linked. I'd also suggest make -j in msys or make -j$(nproc) in linux. this will utilize all your cpu cores. I was able to build atmosphere in 3 minutes this way, when it would take about 15+ minutes otherwise.

DDinghoya

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South

1. Open MSYS2

@SaulFabre In my case, I tried running it with the attached file, but only got a black screen.

It works fine in the previous version 11052023.

Last edited by DDinghoya,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame because the Wii can play high quality videos, like in Rayman Origins for the Wii.

If you could use a different decoder you could just make bigger file sized videos in a different format and it would play just fine.
WiiMC can play 720p AVC MP4/MKV with LC audio like 192KB/s AAC (or AC3) just fine at about 3,000KB/s for the video stream. Or it can do 5,000KB/s if you encode using the much older H.263 codec, keeping video quality top-notch.

Reactions: Garcimak

sucrose1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I could never get this project to work, no matter what I did for the boot.dol file or the Sonic Mania resource files, the Wii would always hang on a black screen. Oh well.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could never get this project to work, no matter what I did for the boot.dol file or the Sonic Mania resource files, the Wii would always hang on a black screen. Oh well.
  1. Use the most recent build posted in this thread.
  2. Try a different Data.rsdk file. The one with the CRC32 checksum of 2287228D is known to work. Most others I've tried didn't work.
  3. The folder structure on your SD card should look something like this (and note that the default locations changed at some point):
  • sd:\apps\SonicMania\boot.dol
  • sd:\RSDKv5\Mania\Data.rsdk
If you do all of the above, it should work.

Reactions: raxadian

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. Open MSYS2

Oh My RDSKv5U????

So i can now play Sonic 1 on me wii tnx

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can guarantee that it's def user error on your part. If you don't follow the instructions to the 'T' then there's bound to be a hiccup somewhere affecting Sonic Mania's functionality on Wii.

YZWuT5O.jpg

Y2jO70f.jpg

WHX7V9B.jpg

FNceIUj.jpg

tBJjb7O.jpg

S/N: Don't mind the game version that's being referenced in the homebrew channel. I've upgraded to the latest version since then.

Reactions: jeannotte

sucrose1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I narrowed the issue down to a slightly bad rsdk file. It was good enough for use on a PC with the original executable, but not good enough to work with the Wii executable DOL file.

Cotton_Candy_2C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to play all of these decomp titles, Mania is working, but 1, 2, and CD crash on the "Mod loading done!" screen. I have no clue if I just need a better file for Sonic 1 and 2 since I just downloaded them off of some link online since I doubt the Origins rsdk files will work, but Sonic CD's rsdk I took directly from the Steam release so I am not sure what the issue is. Mania also has an issue where the loading times are really long, and I don't know if that is just an issue on my end or not

Cotton_Candy_2C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured out what to do, you have to take the Origins Data.rsdk files, extract them using this, replace the "rsdk_files_list.txt" file with this one, get the rsdk files from the mobile versions of 1 and 2, and the rsdk file from the Steam release of CD, extract them using this, add the Music and SoundFX folders to the Origins files, then repack them. The only issue is that both Sonic 2 and CD have issues, with Sonic 2, any sound from the "Global" folder refuses to play, and with CD, the collision detection with enemies, monitors, and bosses are absolutely atrocious, allowing you to hit them when you are nowhere near them.

Also, this isn't really an issue with the Wii port and more of an issue with the way Origins handles things, but since menus are handles within Origins itself, you cannot select different characters in Sonic 1 and CD, you can in Sonic 2 by going into the multiplayer menu, selecting a character, then going back to the title screen, but you can't select Sonic & Tails. You also can't save since they removed the menus, and you aren't able to pause in CD without adding extra files from the Steam release

Last edited by Cotton_Candy_2C,

TwisterThok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I've downloaded the latest build of the port, and it was running pretty well! (Especially the Special Stages, I can finally beat those without wasting an hour!)

Though, a problem arrived when I played Titanic Monarch. For some reason, the mini boss at the end of act 1 crashes the game with a garbled "an exception occurred" screen. The same thing happened with the Metal Sonic boss fight.

Does anyone else suffer from this bug? Or is it just me?

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey all, the forwarder for wii just gives a question mark "?" icon when i install it. does anyone have a working forwarder for sonic mania plus, the one you get from building yourself? i have the dol on apps/sonicmaniaplus
Thanks.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo