Seraph

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I installed my Wiikey a few months ago and I guess when the Wii gets too warm with the disc inside it stops recognizing backups. Do people leave their Wii's on standby mode and still play everything perfect with a Wiikey?

Could it be a media/burning problem? I'm using TDK for my media and my burner in my laptop isn't so good. Could it be my install? I was using a crappy battery powered iron and it was a little messy. If I leave my Wii in off mode everything works great.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read somewhere on the forum that the heat from standby mode fries backup discs, so it's a good bet that's your problem.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an article I read:

"owners listen up, as the next bit of information regarding Ninty's console could just save yours from bricking. It seems that WiiConnect24, the system built into the Wii that's designed to keep the console connected to the internet when set to standby mode, has been reported to cause hardware failure - this after the aforementioned console has been on standby with WiiConnect 24 enabled for long periods of time.

It seems that usage of WiiConnect24, despite allegedly being power-friendly, heats up the console more than if the console itself is turned on and being played games on. Hot enough, in fact, to cook the main CPU, causing brick-age."

Elm

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That story is mainly correct. However, it's the GPU that fries, not the CPU. (sorry, it's instinct to correct
tongue.gif
)

Seraph

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

"owners listen up, as the next bit of information regarding Ninty's console could just save yours from bricking. It seems that WiiConnect24, the system built into the Wii that's designed to keep the console connected to the internet when set to standby mode, has been reported to cause hardware failure - this after the aforementioned console has been on standby with WiiConnect 24 enabled for long periods of time.

It seems that usage of WiiConnect24, despite allegedly being power-friendly, heats up the console more than if the console itself is turned on and being played games on. Hot enough, in fact, to cook the main CPU, causing brick-age."

Elm
Yeah, I've read reports of that and I don't think it happened to a lot of people, did it? I never took my Wii off on standby for 6 months until I got my modchip and haven't had a problem. And I've left it on standby for maybe at least a month or more only turning the Wii on/off a couple times.

So most likely the discs get too warm?

captain^k

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Not that I am aware of.

The Nintendo Australia support team seem to be well trained at denying the existence of any faults in the Wii until you send them your console for them to have a look.

Heh
frown.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Elm
Except its more likely to first fry your GPU, causing random pixels everywhere on screen.

Seraph

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With the amount of Wii's sold, the overheating doesn't seem like a widespread problem. When I first heard about the problem many people said their Wii's were fine.

So I guess no one with a Wiikey leaves their Wii on standby? Is it just a Wiikey thing? I've noticed one of the features for the new Xecuter Wiip v2says it has no problems in all temperatures.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not just a wiikey thing, as far as I know. It's all Wiis. Nintendo needs to make a firmware update that makes the fans run once on the hour when the Wii is in standby to cool it down.

As long as you're not leaving the Wii in standby for more than a week or two you should be fine. My friend left his on for a few weeks without playing it, and it died. So if you plan on leaving for a while or not playing your machine turn off the system completely, or just turn off the WiiConnect24.

Seraph

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not just a wiikey thing, as far as I know. It's all Wiis. Nintendo needs to make a firmware update that makes the fans run once on the hour when the Wii is in standby to cool it down.

As long as you're not leaving the Wii in standby for more than a week or two you should be fine. My friend left his on for a few weeks without playing it, and it died. So if you plan on leaving for a while or not playing your machine turn off the system completely, or just turn off the WiiConnect24.

Well the original question was if backups booted with no problems when the Wii was getting too warm. I've actually left mine on standby for a while when there was a drought of games as I've stated before, and have had no problems with it.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I go through spell where I won't play for a week or so. The discs get real warm and I always wondered if that could become an issue at some point. My first Wii did have the graphical glitches as described on this thread, and I wonder if it was due to overheating. That was with an unchipped Wii, so it's not a fault with the Wiikey. I have since however, turned off WiiConnect.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I found an easy way to fix this, What i did is brought a 360 and put my wii in the cupboard, It hasnt been turnt on in weeks.

Seriously tho, It doesnt seem like a major issue. Im sure if u keep you're consoles well ventilated they'll be good.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States

Elm

Except its more likely to first fry your GPU, causing random pixels everywhere on screen.
thats alot more fun
wink.gif

bleh124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I can't recognize any problems described here.
Me and a friend of mine both have a wii with wiikey installed from the moment chip was released.
I play more often then my friend and we both leave wiiconnect24 on, discs in wii (original's and backup's) and we never had 1 single failure or graphic problems, temp problems, nothing.
My has never been turned of since the day i bought it (+/- 3 months after release) so is my friends wii (wii release date) (only for chipping it went of power
smile.gif
), never we have disabled wiiconnect24 and we never eject disc out of tray when we don't play and wii is still working perfect.

I turn my wii on maybe 1 time a week and my friend , well lets say 1 time a month
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
What is the definition of a long time?
My wii and friends wii have had periods that they haven't been turned on for almost 2 months (standby mode, wiiconnect24 on), no problemo.
So i don't get it.

Mr_Grinch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiikey installed, I find if I leave it on standby that some discs won't boot straight after turning the machine on. Seems to be the same ones each time, NTSC version of Resident Evil 4 as will Mario Party 8 but Super Paper Mario will boot everytime.

After the machine has been on for 5 minutes or so, these backups boot fine. Since turning the machine off "fully" (holding power button for ten seconds till light turns red) I've had none of these problems.

When the machine is in standby, it does get quite warm but not dangerously so. I'm taking it my machine heats up in standby which affects the drive, when switched on the fans will kick in though and cool it down. More than likely when they've been on long enough, the unit has cooled down enough so that it doesn't bother these discs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @SylverReZ isn't Oculus and Meta Quest the same?