Hacking VCFE Wip...

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm not sure why you are complaining. It's not like they are gonna be hard-coded into the app... throw the tpls into the folder and you are good to go.

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more wip update for the night.....

Unfortunately the tg-16 isos are not in a standard cd format. Fortunately there is a command-line tool that allows you to, at least partially, rip tg16 discs!

TurboRip 1.0

This tool is designed to rip an iso into a collection of wav files and iso segments for use on tg-16 emulators. Nintendo seemed to use a similar solution. When you rip via turbo-rip a ".toc" file is created. This file is extremely similar to the ".hcd" file I mentioned earlier and I can determine from it that the values are actually LBA values. So ripping the audio and generating the hcd file shouldn't be much of problem. The code portions of a file are extracted to individual isos. These isos are much larger than the bin files found in a vc wad, BUT if you zip them up the file sizes suddenly become very similar. So although I probably don't have the skills to do it, someone should be able to clean the crap from an iso, compress it with what looks like zlib compression (might be lz77 as well) and make bin files out of it.

So I hope that's helpful to someone... I'll look into it if I get more time, but atm I'm more interested in finishing my other apps.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just been using your U8 Tool v4.0 HowardC and it packs and extracts the files perfectly (and easy to use). You tool now allows users to use the original compress sound.bin file instead of the uncompress one (it plays the compress file no while using the other tools, it didn't play).

Compressing the banner.bin file using LZ77 works fine as well. But when compressing the icon.bin file with LZ77, both images just appear white. The image displays fine when the icon.bin is packed uncompressed.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
No, the SMRPG and CCL brlyt files are different than anything we've seen before. For one, in the NTSC-U region, they only have entries for en, es and fr. Also, there's a whole new area for ESRB rating.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, Mega Man, NES, US version had that too. Nothing really that exciting (well you could put your own message below the title of the game I suppose).

But that leads to me to ask why US games have the age ratings on the actual Cartridges, CDs or Channels while the European ones don't bother.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Oh, didn't know that Mega Man did it first. And I have no idea why it's just the US.

That being said, as HC is making the most comprehensive tools possible, he's going to want to take a good look at the new banner.brlyt for implementation in his tool.

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thanks to loes help I've finished the modifications needed to add esrb support and I'm ready for a release!

VC brlyt Editor 4.1

Because the brlyt's seem to be changing around a bit, I went ahead and added the option to search for any text entry and manually change it (no fancy gui to help you). This should future-proof the app a little and it should also allow me to poke around in the japaneese brlyt's a little easier when I'm ready to tackle them.

This is what was the info editor in the old thread, but it's been overhauled so much I changed the name. You can now change all the text entries, as well as change their length, edit/change the color scheme of the banner, and replace the logo.

But here is the catch:

THIS APP HAS NOT BEEN THOUROUGHLY TESTED!!!!

That's where you guys come in.
smile.gif
Don't worry though, there's nothing in a brlyt that can brick your wii... worst possible case is when you click on the game your wii locks up and you have to reboot. Please let me know how it works!

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
Yeah, Mega Man, NES, US version had that too. Nothing really that exciting (well you could put your own message below the title of the game I suppose).

But that leads to me to ask why US games have the age ratings on the actual Cartridges, CDs or Channels while the European ones don't bother.

The ESRB isn't recognized in all countries, so that might be it. It also might be that releases in other countries don't require it to be reviewed b the esrb, which would save nintendo some money. I'd say it's something like that.

The new banner for example... by reading the "groups" at the bottom of the banner, it appears that the South America region (spa) simply uses the American ESRB entry. I think the main reason for the "change" is to save space. There's nothing in the banners that require the presence of text entries for a certain region, and yet they were always there before. Ice Climber is my prime example.... for the German and Italian entries, the text read "VC_TITLE_GER" instead of an actual name, meaning basically that they had no intention of releasing the game in Germany, and yet they wasted all that space by adding the title.

I already had the brlyt editor setup to ignore blank entries, but I went ahead and added some extra error handling now that it is confirmed that some entries are left out. I actually prefer it this way as it's less to edit.
wink.gif

About the lz77 compression... I've been getting reports about that, unfortunately, learning lz77 compression is a little beyond the scope of my goals. Right now I just call gbalzss to do that and apparently there is a bug in it that causes strange results in some cases. There is a tool with the wii sdk that does a better job, but I don't want to rely on illegal tools and I'm certainly not releasing any. What I might do is allow the OPTION to use the compressor in the wii sdk then you could use it in a pinch, but you'd have to dl it yourself.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well done, HowardC! That was fixed right quick!

Need a new task? I've got one, though maybe the information is already known, just not to me. Super Mario RPG, in all three regions, has had a lot more LZ77 compression than any other game. What's interesting is that in the 05.app, what should be ROM is actually LZ77JCBE.rom, so conventional injection methods don't work. I was really hoping to inject into SMRPG, so I'm hoping someone figures out how to work this. Would it be possible to use gbalzss to compress the ROM? Maybe gbalzss e rom.smc LZ77JCBE.rom. Does that make any sense at all?

EDIT: Holy carp, that thing is amazing! I haven't used it yet, but I am looking around through it. Very well done! So just for clarification, we can type any length game title and the editor should change the length appropriately? Sweeeeet.
grog.gif

EDIT2: I found one small issue. In the Color Viewer, it says "Set a Color by Clicking on it and edit it to the left." Left should be right.

rabapab23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything seems to be working perfect for me, except getting it (VC channel) to start... I am thinking it's the length of the title, Tag Team Wrestling. Been trying to do this one forever. Have done everything the way I did it before, and have made many successful channels, but this one keeps bricking on me.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I was exactly right. gbalzss.exe e rom.smc LZ77JCBE.rom worked perfectly!

Now I have a question about your U8 Tool, HC, since this is the first time I've used it...
unsure.gif
But how do I get the sound.bin to work? Thanks for all your awesome work!

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well done HowardC! Tonight I'll test it with the boulderdash which I already made the banner and was looking for this!
smile.gif

Do you have any intention to support replacing of LZ77_Snapshot.bin?

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok answering random questions:

1. Yes any length entry... assuming I didn't bork up the padding code somewhere (that'd be a bug, but it'd be fixable) I think there is a practical limit though, but I haven't reached it yet.

2. Use an uncompressed sound bin (made out of a wav file) and it should work. Also apparently (according to radioshadow) it'll run the original if you use lz77 compression on 0.app when you package it back up.

3. rabapab23: You are going to have to be a little less vague. Is it freezing when you try to run the actual game, or when you click on the channel? If it's the actual launching of the game then this has nothing to do with my utility and it's a rom injector problem. Text-length should no longer be an issue as well, so long as I don't have a bug somewhere. Also please don't use the term "brick" as that's confusing. A brick refers to a lockup that can't be fixed without software/hardware help. What you are getting is a crash. BIG difference.
wink.gif

4. The lz77 questions relate to things that I won't be doing with the brlyt editor. I make different tools for different files and give them command-line options so I can eventually merge them that way.

5. Roms with lz77 compression on them are nothing new.... the c64 roms have this. It appears to me at least that any interchangeable vc file (snapshot, roms ect) with lz77 compression always have "lz77" in the name of the file somewhere and that's how the app knows to decompress it when the game is ran. You can, of course replace this file by recompressing the new one, but by removing the lz77 part of the file name, you should, in theory be able to run uncompressed files. Of course in the case of the roms you need to find the config file/section somewhere in the wad that tells the emulator the name of the rom and change that as well.

5a. I've thought about it and I've decided to make a rom swapper instead of an injector. What's the difference? A rom injector, while simplier to use, merely unpacks the wad and manually edits the bits in the app files to replace the wad. This means that if the rom is larger than the original it can't be injected and if it's smaller you are wasting space by leaving the same size file in there. Also something less important, but in the case of systems that have "loose" roms in their archives, the name of the rom ends up being the same as the original... this can be changed in most cases, making for a cleaner replacement. What I'm going to make is a rom swapper, which properly builds the rom (where applicable, like neogeo) and replaces it and assumes that the wad is already unpacked with the appropriate app file already unpacked as well. It doesn't make a lot of sense to "inject" when we have to open everything up to edit the snapshot/brlyt/save icon/ect anyway.

6. The latest private build of my icon generator can output lz77 compressed files, so yes, I will support it. Barring any major issues with the brlyt editor I will start woking on a new release of the icon generator soon.

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE WARNING!!!

I had a hunch I had forgotten something, and sure enough.....

Due to the last minute changes to the editor to support esrb, I screwed up the color replacement function!!!! You can still use the color editor, but when you go to save the color to the brlyt, it'll screw it up!!!

It wouldn't have mattered anyway because while I've added in code to ignore missing entries for text (to support the newer brlyts) I did NOT add in code to ignore missing entries for colors.

4.1 is out which fixes these issues but do NOT use the first release... you MUST use the newer version unless you want to run into errors.

HowardC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't sleep tonight/this morning, so I went ahead and had a look at the latest build of the icon generator. Turns out it's been ready for a release for some time. (OOPS!) Anyway there wasn't much to do to get it "standardized" with the other tools so I went ahead and did that as well. The latest version supports ALL english language consoles!

Just note that for nes, neogeo and c64 icons, injection is also required, but I'm working on a new version of the icon injector as well (it'll few days on that one as it's a mess atm).

VC Icon Generator 5.0

marioxb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a working TurboGrafx-16 injected wad. Then I used your programs in the first post in this thread to change the banner. Everything installed properly, but then when the Wii rebooted, it had the message, "The system files have been corrupted...". That was last night. I left the Wii unplugged all night to see if that might fix it. No luck. My Wii is not modded (just Zelda hacked) and I have no way to fix it, do I? I really don't wanna pay to have it fixed and I also don't want Nintendo to see what I have on it anyway.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I assume it was just a coincidence, but I don't know what to do now....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu