Hacking WBFS Manager 3.0

jamisonf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this manager gets better and better, great job man. Does anyone know if the yorg dol forces video mode by default or would the setting need to be added?

Indie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question about channel creation. I was able to make the channel for Excite Bots just fine, and installed it on my Wii through WAD manager just fine, but when I start it, nothing happens. I was under the assumption that when I install the ISO onto my SD through WBFS Manager, that this is what the channel I created would look for, is this correct? If so, what are some things that could be causing the game to not start. If it's not correct, what do I have to do with the ISO to get the channel to properly find it and start it?

Thanks, Indie.

Smartpal

The Guitar Guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
I want to use this app so much, but .net framework is being a pain in the ass. Won't bloody install.
hate2.gif

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Smartpal said:
I want to use this app so much, but .net framework is being a pain in the ass. Won't bloody install.
hate2.gif

Sometimes the "bootstrapper" (the small 2.5MB package) won't work. Get the big puppy:

Code:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

This link is right from Microsoft's site. It's the same thing, but there in case the bootstapper doesn't work.

BTW, can somebody mirror WBFS Manager 3.0? I can't get the link on the first post to work.

Edit: Never mind, site works for me now. But I'll offer a mirror anyways of the x86 version.

CODEhttp://www.mediafire.com/file/mjqdzmjixid/WBFSManager3.0-RTW-x86.zip

AlexDP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
djtaz made a good suggestion, which was for me to explain how the cover downloading works.
The cover downloading uses four links stored in a settings file which are:In the even that the otherzone.com/wii changes or you'd like to use a different site, you can do so, provided the link follows these rules:
  • Must end in a query parameter (name doesnt matter) that is asking for the game's 6 letter ID followed by a .PNG extension. So for RSPE01 it would be RSPE01.png, which when applied to CoverLinkNTSC would be: http://www.theotherzone.com/wii/ntsc/downl...file=RSPE01.png
  • Must end in a .png
  • Result of the HTTP GET must be the PNG cover image.
The location of the settings file is in each user's "Users\\AppData\Local\WBFS\WBFSManager.exe_Url_" in the user.config file, which is simple XML. If you want to change the setting in the source code, you need to change the WBFS Manager\Properties\Settings.settings file (also XML). If you want to change it for installer or redist purposes wihtout changing the source (not recommended), edit the WBFSManager.exe.config file in the root folder of the app.
If you want to change the way the code works (for example changing it to only use the first 4 letters of the ID), you can find the related code in "WBFS Manager\WbfsDrive.cs" in the WBFSManager.WbfsDrive.CheckForCoverWeb() method. It's pretty self-explanatory from there, especially with the comments included.
If you have any questions or need any clarifications about the code, feel free to contact me by email.

@jamisonf: Sorgs doesn't force video mode, neither does WiiCrazy's

@Indie: your assumptions correct... not quite sure why it's not working for you... what DOL file are you using and what are you using as the base WAD file? Your sure the common-key.bin is correct, right?

For everyone in general, as I mentioned I won't be actively working on this project, so any feature requests are not going to be done. If you think a feature would be nice and you know a little something about coding, give it a try, its worth it, and most of my code is (maybe excessively) commented. Otherwise, it's highly unlikely that the feature will be added, unless someone else decides to pick up on this.

DonTlaloc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great program!

Small typo in Options, Advanced:
"Remove Update Parititions, Keep Rest" should be "Remove Update Partitions, Keep Rest"
and maybe "Partitions to keep" should be "Partitions to Keep"

BTW: Which of the three settings in "Partitions to Keep" did the previous versions use?

AlexDP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oops
smile.gif
I don't know why but throughout coding this my fingers had the habit of getting ahead of themselves when writing partitions
tongue.gif

The previous versions used Only Game Partition, which what it's set to by default.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Firstly, thanks for the awesome program. First time I'm using it though. Works flawlessly on vista so far.

Just got a few questions :

1) Under options->advanced->partitions to keep, the default is "only game partition" Would that be the best one to use? What about "remove update partition, keep rest" & "all partitions"? Any game in particular I choose should for the other 2 options?

2) Is there a tutorial for channel creation?

3) For drive cloning, is it possible to just choose the ISOs individually for transfer? Or does it just do a blind 1-1 clone to another drive with a WBFS partition?

4) Is there an option to extract a game direct from a dvd to the manager?

AlexDP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bloodlust said:
Firstly, thanks for the awesome program. First time I'm using it though. Works flawlessly on vista so far.

1) Under options->advanced->partitions to keep, the default is "only game partition" Would that be the best one to use? What about "remove update partition, keep rest" & "all partitions"? Any game in particular I choose should for the other 2 options?

3) For drive cloning, is it possible to just choose the ISOs individually for transfer? Or does it just do a blind 1-1 clone to another drive with a WBFS partition?

A1) The usual option is "Only Game Partition", which is the best option for most games. A few games like Mario Kart Wii have extra stuff like channels, that aren't related to the game directly, in which case either "Remove update parititon, Keep rest" or "All partitions" is a good choice. This results in the game taking up more space, but still having things like updates. "All partitions" will keep updates as well, which in most cases is not advised, unless of course you want to do the update.

A2) No, theres no tutorial, but there are some basic guidelines in the first post, in the "Channel Creation Notes" section. It's pretty straightforward for the most part, just get a WAD file, preferably one that belongs to a channel, get the common-key.bin file (search Make Key, or get it from one of the other tools), Then select one of the presets for the loader (the default preset is fine). Select the games you want to create channels for in the right hand list, then click create channels.

A3) Yes, it is. Just load the first drive, load the target drive in the drive-to-drive section, then choose some games from the top left-hand list (you can choose multiple by holding Ctrl or Shift), then click "Copy to this Drive" in the drive-to-drive section.

A4) No, there isn't.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
AlexDP said:
Bloodlust said:

A1) The usual option is "Only Game Partition", which is the best option for most games. A few games like Mario Kart Wii have extra stuff like channels, that aren't related to the game directly, in which case either "Remove update parititon, Keep rest" or "All partitions" is a good choice. This results in the game taking up more space, but still having things like updates. "All partitions" will keep updates as well, which in most cases is not advised, unless of course you want to do the update.

A2) No, theres no tutorial, but there are some basic guidelines in the first post, in the "Channel Creation Notes" section. It's pretty straightforward for the most part, just get a WAD file, preferably one that belongs to a channel, get the common-key.bin file (search Make Key, or get it from one of the other tools), Then select one of the presets for the loader (the default preset is fine). Select the games you want to create channels for in the right hand list, then click create channels.

A3) Yes, it is. Just load the first drive, load the target drive in the drive-to-drive section, then choose some games from the top left-hand list (you can choose multiple by holding Ctrl or Shift), then click "Copy to this Drive" in the drive-to-drive section.

A4) No, there isn't.

Hi, thanks for answering my queries. Guess I will give channel creation a miss for the moment until I know what I'm doing...
smile.gif

One last question, is there an option to dump the game from the WBFS partition back to another hdd as a normal ISO?

AlexDP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bloodlust said:
AlexDP said:
Bloodlust said:

A4) No, there isn't.

Hi, thanks for answering my queries. Guess I will give channel creation a miss for the moment until I know what I'm doing...
smile.gif

One last question, is there an option to dump the game from the WBFS partition back to another hdd as a normal ISO?

Extract ISO option.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
AlexDP said:
Bloodlust said:
AlexDP said:
Bloodlust said:

A4) No, there isn't.

smile.gif

Extract ISO option.

Thanks, now the only thing I have to worry about is one fine day the WBFS partition might not be readable anymore due to corruption or accidentally formatting the partition because everytime I plug it in vista always prompts to format it.

Smartpal

The Guitar Guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Sir VG said:
Smartpal said:
hate2.gif

Sometimes the "bootstrapper" (the small 2.5MB package) won't work. Get the big puppy:

Code:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

This link is right from Microsoft's site. It's the same thing, but there in case the bootstapper doesn't work.

BTW, can somebody mirror WBFS Manager 3.0? I can't get the link on the first post to work.

Edit: Never mind, site works for me now. But I'll offer a mirror anyways of the x86 version.

CODEhttp://www.mediafire.com/file/mjqdzmjixid/WBFSManager3.0-RTW-x86.zip

Nice, I'll try that and see if it works.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Bladexdsl said:
when i close this i get a weird popup error with about a thousand lines of code. nothing threatening just annoying.

Look at the 1st few lines of the log, it appears because a temp folder which exists on that path went missing. Append it yourself and the program will exit normally without crashing anymore.
lecture.gif

tripellex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Alex, your manager is by FAR the best! I do have two small requests for features.....I know you said this was final...but could you possibly incorporate Compresed ISO (cISO) add/extract support and integrity checking into your manager? I've been having to switch between yours and WBFS Intelligent GUI v5 featuring Hermes' modified wbfs.exe to add all my games. To be honest, I'd rather just use yours and yours alone. Any chance of this happening?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P