Wii (NTSC) black bars top and bottom

Artem_Slowpoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello, everyone!

I have my NTSC-J Wii hooked to Sony PVM 14M4 via composite (3RCA) cable, and it shows up next behavior:

• System Menu - black bars on top and bottom
  • Homebrew Channel - fullscreen, no bars
  • USBLoader GX - fullscreen, no bars
  • Mednafen - black bars on top and bottom, no matter what options I choose
  • Snes9x GX - same as mednafen
  • 240p Test Suite - fullscreen, no bars
In system settings I set 4:3 aspect ratio.

Same things even after I change region of system menu to 4.3U (NTSC-U).

Would glad for your help to get rid of this black bars. Unfortunately dont have any other cables now.

Here you can see black bar on bottom in Mednafen as example.

8416f262-6da8-4ce4-b91f-31a5288f3163.jpg

Last edited by Artem_Slowpoke,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If I recall correctly, not all games has the same resolution, also, not all emulators handles region games equally and even dare to say that not all CRTs handles games with the same resolution as well.

One thing is playing NTSC games in NTSC TV's, and it's a whole different story playing PAL games in PAL CRTs.
Additionally to this, the Wii can output 2 maximum ranges of pictures, EDTV 480p and STANDARD 480i which will be slightly lower than what STANDARD PAL CRTs can output.
That being said, Conposite and Component cables outputs different signals.

Alternatively, you could mess with the CRT's Service Menu to see if there's an option to permanently stretch your picture, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're inexperienced with the settings.
Other solution that I wouldn't recommend is to mess with the CRT's potentiometers that handles H-Scan and V-Scan.

A permanent and less intrusive way to fix your "problem" could be to use RetroArch-Wii instead and set the Video Settings to Custom and use personal Aspect Ratio to stretch the picture accordingly to your CRT screen.

Last word of advice is to use your Wii with Component Cables and set the Video Settings to EDTV and 4:3 Aspect Ratio.
This is because the Wii will always try to fill your entire CRT screen, and the bars on sides, top or bottom would indicate an Emulation Overscan setting that you might need to configure, instead of messing around with CRT components.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2