Homebrew WiiSX RX - A new fork.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
..except that, uh, it results in my 1st party classic controller pro straight-up not working? At least with the single game I'm testing with (Bust-A-Move 4), I have to hit the reset button on my Wii console to get it to go back to the WiiSX RX emulator menu at which point my classic controller works again, and I can then resume the game and play as normal with functional classic controller support and all (at least as normal as playing Bust-A-Move 4 without CD audio music that is, but I'm sure you've already heard more than enough complaints about the lack of CDDA support).

That... seems like a bug to me.

EDIT 4: It's definitely a bug, and it occurs if using the nunchuck as well (though interestingly not if using a GameCube controller). Directly after autoboot and while the game is still running, if you unplug the nunchuck or classic controller without returning to the emulator menu, it turns out that the Wii remote by itself works. This implies that, when using WiiSX RX's autoboot function, it defaults to using the Wii remote by itself regardless of whether or not you have a nunchuck or classic controller plugged in, especially since you can replicate this exact same behavior if you launch a game without autoboot using only a Wii remote and then plug in a nunchuck or classic controller while the game is running without returning to the emulator menu.

And in the process of doing the aforementioned bug-testing, I discovered that, when using a nunchuck or when using a Wii remote by itself, you can't set the "Home" button as the option for going back to the emulator menu. That seems a bit odd considering that the "Home" button is an option for going back to the emulator menu when using a classic controller, so perhaps this was simply an oversight?
Hmm, you said you read all posts in page 8 of the thread, yet you skimmed an important message. That is a known issue with the original Wiiflow implementation.

Last edited by niuus,

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, you said you read all posts in page 8 of the thread
Looking at my own post, I seemed to have "accidentally a word" :
I've read every post in this thread page 8 (when v2.5 was released)
That's very much not a grammatically correct statement, so it's difficult to interpret the correct meaning. Nevertheless, my guess is that I read every post since v2.5 was released which occurred on page 8.

This would explain the problem then - the first post you linked me to was posted 4 days before the v2.5 release, so it's extremely possible that I very much did miss it under the logic that there wouldn't be any discussion at all about the Wiiflow autoboot functionality before v2.5 was released when it was v2.5 that added that functionality. As for the second post that you linked to, it was on page 7 so I clearly never saw it.

Nevertheless, it's worth noting that FIX94's fork of Wii64 uses pretty much the exact same meta.xml arguments as WIISX RX for its Wiiflow-compatible autoboot functionality and similarly boots directly into a game without the user needing to press a button for any on-screen dialogs, and yet Wii64 Rice does not have this classic controller bug which to me makes it sound like it's not quite as cut-and-dry with regards to what is causing the issue.

By contrast, something like Not64 uses completely different meta.xml arguments and, even when using its autoboot function, actually requires the user to press the A button twice before the game actually launches - this is what additionally makes me think that FIX94's Wii64 fork is in fact using the very same Wiiflow autoboot functionality as WiiSX RX and yet, as mentioned, Wii64's implementation does not seem to have the classic controller issue.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
As for the second post that you linked to, it was on page 7 so I clearly never saw it.
Hence the reason why the first linked message in my post is in page 8, which you said you read entirely. Even the discussion when the implementation was originally done also mentions it. Anyway, a great contribution by our awesome dev Wiimpathy, btw.

this is what additionally makes me think that emukidid's Wii64 fork is in fact using the very same Wiiflow autoboot functionality as WiiSX RX and yet, as mentioned, Wii64's implementation does not seem to have the classic controller issue.
Then that means you can take the code and improve WiiSXRX by correcting the bug. Lemme know when you make a pull request so i can check and compile it for 2.6.

I will later add the simple use of arguments on the meta.xml to the readme, which will be helpful for others in the future.

Last edited by niuus,

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hence the reason why the first linked message in my post is in page 8, which you said you read entirely.

I just remembered you're from Venezuela so you're not a native English speaker, so let me try to break it down a bit more clearly as a native English speaker that's kind of grammar-OCD.

The sentence where I say "I've read every post in this thread page 8 (when v2.5 was released)" is extremely not grammatically correct - what I meant by "accidentally a word" is that there seem to be words missing between "thread" and "page" thereby making the intended meaning be lost, not to mention the part in parenthesis can be somewhat contradictory - if I only read every post from when v2.5 was released, then I did not read every post from page 8. If I read every post from page 8, then that does not mean I only read every post since v2.5 was released.

In other words, it's kind of a "one or the other" kind of situation and, due to the "accidentally a word," there's not conclusive proof on which one it is that I was intending when I typed it.

The one exception is that reading all of the posts since page 8 would additionally make one read all of the posts since the release of v2.5, but again the accidental grammar mistake makes it all fuzzy to determine what I was trying to convey.

But the fact that I did indeed miss that post from page 8 that was posted 4 days before the release of v2.5 despite both being on page 8 makes me lean towards the idea that my intended meaning was more along the lines of reading all posts since the release of v2.5 and accordingly from the middle of page 8 rather than all of page 8.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
There is one thing i don't like about many of those unofficial lists: they seem to be lacking serious and rigorous testers. Resident Evil 2 not working? Alpha 3 unplayable? That is clearly not the case as the pictures in the very first post are in direct contradiction to that. I even finished the game. Just one example of many mistakes i've found on the list.

I just remembered you're from Venezuela so you're not a native English speaker, so let me try to break it down a bit more clearly as a native English speaker that's kind of grammar-OCD.

The sentence where I say "I've read every post in this thread page 8 (when v2.5 was released)" is extremely not grammatically correct - what I meant by "accidentally a word" is that there seem to be words missing between "thread" and "page" thereby making the intended meaning be lost, not to mention the part in parenthesis can be somewhat contradictory - if I only read every post from when v2.5 was released, then I did not read every post from page 8. If I read every post from page 8, then that does not mean I only read every post since v2.5 was released.

In other words, it's kind of a "one or the other" kind of situation and, due to the "accidentally a word," there's not conclusive proof on which one it is that I was intending when I typed it.

The one exception is that reading all of the posts since page 8 would additionally make one read all of the posts since the release of v2.5, but again the accidental grammar mistake makes it all fuzzy to determine what I was trying to convey.

But the fact that I did indeed miss that post from page 8 that was posted 4 days before the release of v2.5 despite both being on page 8 makes me lean towards the idea that my intended meaning was more along the lines of reading all posts since the release of v2.5 and accordingly from the middle of page 8 rather than all of page 8.
I understood what you meant. And my answers were directed exclusively at your first claim, even though riddled of grammatical errors.

It's cool. Now, would it be possible to "un-hijack" the thread from the continuous offtopic? Maybe this is the reason some do not check the whole thread for other answers regarding known problems. Okey, so you didn't read the thread and didn't knew that it is a known issue, we got it, it's okey. On the meanwhile, i'll keep an eye on your pull request to fix the bug, which will surely help others with Wii CC.

I'll leave here this WiiSXRX pro tip which i mentioned before, as it is my controller of choice since it became compatible many years ago: Wii U Pro controller is unaffected by the autoboot bug and does not require the workaround, and i think the Wii U Gamepad works straight away too.

Last edited by niuus,

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U Pro controller is unaffected by the autoboot bug and does not require the workaround, and i think the Wii U Gamepad works straight away too.
But I'm on a Wii, not a Wii U, so that doesn't help my situation - especially when it comes to multiplayer.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Sadly I'm on a Wii, not a Wii U, so that doesn't help my situation - especially when it comes to multiplayer.
Well, never said it was exclusive to that console, though i can see the confusion as the Gamepad was mentioned. Wii U Pro controller is 100% compatible for homebrew on the Wii, since 2014, if my memory serves right.

Last edited by niuus,

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U Pro controller is 100% compatible for homebrew on the Wii, since 2016, if my memory serves right.
But only homebrew, no? It doesn't work with native Wii games nor VC games AFAIK which was a big reason why I got a classic controller pro instead of a Wii U pro controller back in 2017.

...also it was a heck of a lot cheaper.

i think the Wii U Gamepad works straight away too.
It was my impression that gamepad support works by having it be seen as a wii remote + classic controller by the vWii, so I would think it too would have the same issue... Nevertheless @MikaDubbz this may be relevant to your interests if you're willing to give it a look.

EDIT:
I will later add the simple use of arguments on the meta.xml to the readme, which will be helpful for others in the future.
FYI I just want to mention that AFAICT the mentioned autoboot arguments are the only ones that seem to be present (e.g. trying to add a "LoadButtonSlot = #" argument like is used by Not64 does not work).

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
But only homebrew, no? It doesn't work with native Wii games nor VC games
Well, you can't expect them to work if Nintendo itself wasn't interested in giving it support for the previous console. By the time the Wii U Pro Controller came out, the Wii System Software was unofficially "dead" by two years.

It was my impression that gamepad support works by having it be seen as a wii remote + classic controller by the vWii, so I would think it too would have the same issue... Nevertheless @MikaDubbz this may be relevant to your interests if you're willing to give it a look.
No. As i already told you in a previous comment, those are homebrew libraries made from scratch to make the controllers work, of which the Wii U Pro Controller and Wii U Gamepad are the most notorious examples of integration.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll leave here this WiiSXRX pro tip which i mentioned before, as it is my controller of choice since it became compatible many years ago: Wii U Pro controller is unaffected by the autoboot bug and does not require the workaround, and i think the Wii U Gamepad works straight away too.

Oh snap, you can autoboot into direct WiiSXRX games on a Wii U and the Gamepad and Pro controllers will still be connected? I genuinely couldn't care less if Wii Classic Controllers disconnect as I don't even use the one of those I have anymore. I've been wanting to make dedicated channels for some PS1 favorites, but only if it could be done in a convincing manner where you leave the Wii U menu and seemingly jump into the game without issue, like a VC title. If this can effectively be done with PS1 games, that's awesome.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There is one thing i don't like about many of those unofficial lists: they seem to be lacking serious and rigorous testers. Resident Evil 2 not working? Alpha 3 unplayable? That is clearly not the case as the pictures in the very first post are in direct contradiction to that. I even finished the game. Just one example of many mistakes i've found on the list.

just wondering can you get alien resurection to work? he seems he can somehow, i got some isos from usa and pal and i couldnt, unless there is some moded isos that actualy work?

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Oh snap, you can autoboot into direct WiiSXRX games on a Wii U and the Gamepad and Pro controllers will still be connected? I genuinely couldn't care less if Wii Classic Controllers disconnect as I don't even use the one of those I have anymore. I've been wanting to make dedicated channels for some PS1 favorites, but only if it could be done in a convincing manner where you leave the Wii U menu and seemingly jump into the game without issue, like a VC title. If this can effectively be done with PS1 games, that's awesome.
You can. I'm feeling more and more inclined to make a Youtube channel dedicated to homebrew, specially to demonstrate, educate and destroy some myths regarding to what some emulators can or cannot do. Video killed the fake-commenter-star. :rofl:

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can. I'm feeling more and more inclined to make a Youtube channel dedicated to homebrew, specially to demonstrate, educate and destroy some myths regarding to what some emulators can or cannot do. Video killed the fake-commenter-star. :rofl:
hey niuus i just saw online people saying that PSXONPSP660.BIN is a much faster bios and better than regular 1001 and i tryed it on wiisxrx and they are right, the games run much smoother and better, did you ever actualy tryed that? this bios is region free too i just replaced both my bios with this one and its working great imo.

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
hey niuus i just saw online people saying that PSXONPSP660.BIN is a much faster bios and better than regular 1001 and i tryed it on wiisxrx and they are right, the games run much smoother and better, did you ever actualy tryed that? this bios is region free too i just replaced both my bios with this one and its working great imo.
Yeah, sure. I have been using it ever since i started the WiiSXRX upgrades for myself in 2016. Can't remember where i got the info, i think it was on a spanish forum. The trick is that since it was optimized for the PSP, and many BIOS calls for the POPSloader weren't needed, it tends to run faster, specially for Wii users which are a bit more limited in CPU power compared to the Wii U. Granted, you won't get a 40 fps boost, but it does help and you can definitely notice the difference depending on the title.

Compatibility, AFAIK, is 100% the same, which is a super plus for me.

Last edited by niuus,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, sure. I have been using it ever since i started the WiiSXRX upgrades for myself in 2016. Can't remember where i got the info, i think it was on a spanish forum. The trick is that since it was optimized for the PSP, and many BIOS calls for the POPSloader weren't needed, it tends to run faster, specially for Wii users which are a bit more limited in CPU power compared to the Wii U. Granted, you won't get a 40 fps boost, but it does help and you can definitely notice the difference depending on the title.

Compatibility, AFAIK, is 100% the same, which is a super plus for me.
nice just wierd no one mentions this bios on anywhere of wiisx, if you ever make a new release do mention this bios on the read me since it does help alot, sure it doesnt do 40fps boost but on some titles like pac man world i always needed vwii overclock to stay at 50 fps(pal release) and now i dont need it so its a huge plus, kinda wondering why it wasnt mentioned anywhere yet.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
nice just wierd no one mentions this bios on anywhere of wiisx, if you ever make a new release do mention this bios on the read me since it does help alot, sure it doesnt do 40fps boost but on some titles like pac man world i always needed vwii overclock to stay at 50 fps(pal release) and now i dont need it so its a huge plus, kinda wondering why it wasnt mentioned anywhere yet.
Let's imagine for a moment that we find that one or a couple of specific games that do not work with this alternate BIOS. Now, on top of the pain of having to read vague descriptions for problems that users have sometimes becoming passive-aggressive preachers for it (first 3 pages in this thread can attest to that), add that almost all of them don't even now how to use the real BIOS, because even if they copied it to the folder, laziness and lack of having the patience to set up the emulator's scarce options once, doesn't let them understand that you have to select between the emulated BIOS and the commercial BIOS, both having different rates of compatibility. Then, of course, they will complain about whatever game not working, even if the thread has pictures of the game working. Man, i can assure, it's no fun.

Even today i'm getting absurdly trivial issues posted on the Gits: users that ask why their USB joystick or pirate controller doesn't work even if support for those was never stated, users that post issues about other emulators where they shouldn't, users that do not copy the folder structure that comes within the zip (then complain about not being able to have savestates or Memory Cards), and the list goes on...

On a lighter note, i have been revisiting previous fixes that i made a year ago:
khXiUc9.jpeg

Haven't finished it, but from what little i played, it does run great, no XA music though. I'll try to get some time to finish the game, to mark it as completable on my compat list.

That's all the news i'll share for the moment, as other games that now work and weren't mentioned before will be kept as a surprise.

Last edited by niuus,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Let's imagine for a moment that we find that one or a couple of specific games that do not work with this alternate BIOS. Now, on top of the pain of having to read vague descriptions for problems that users have sometimes becoming passive-aggressive preachers for it (first 3 pages in this thread can attest to that), add that almost all of them don't even now how to use the real BIOS, because even if they copied it to the folder, laziness and lack of having the patience to set up the emulator's scarce options once, doesn't let them understand that you have to select between the emulated BIOS and the commercial BIOS, both having different rates of compatibility. Then, of course, they will complain about whatever game not working, even if the thread has pictures of the game working. Man, i can assure, it's no fun.

Even today i'm getting absurdly trivial issues posted on the Gits: users that ask why their USB joystick or pirate controller doesn't work even if support for those was never stated, users that post issues about other emulators where they shouldn't, users that do not copy the folder structure that comes within the zip (then complain about not being able to have savestates or Memory Cards), and the list goes on...

On a lighter note, i have been revisiting previous fixes that i made a year ago:
khXiUc9.jpeg

Haven't finished it, but from what little i played, it does run great, no XA music though. I'll try to get some time to finish the game, to mark it as completable on my compat list.

That's all the news i'll share for the moment, as other games that now work and weren't mentioned before will be kept as a surprise.
well i know how you fell, on nintendont people always complain why their fake controllers dont work or their bad isos or forced settings do the same and so on.

hopefully someday you will sort out that 2.6?(will it be 2.6?) and emukid seems to be readying the wii64 1.3 everything is looking great for the wii scene xD

who knows maybe extrems also releases one of those surprise updates he likes so much to do :P

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
well i know how you fell, on nintendont people always complain why their fake controllers dont work or their bad isos or forced settings do the same and so on.

hopefully someday you will sort out that 2.6?(will it be 2.6?) and emukid seems to be readying the wii64 1.3 everything is looking great for the wii scene xD

who knows maybe extrems also releases one of those surprise updates he likes so much to do :P
Yeah, I want emukidid make a new Wii64 version, i had contact with him and i reported some issues with it and it lacked also many fixes from user @FIX94.
And also i am waiting for new versions of @niuus' FCE Ultra RX, Snes9x RX and maybe WiiSX RX... :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1