Can I use my laptop to convert wifi to WEP?

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't it easier to get a old WiFi router or access point which can do WEP and connect it to the existing internet connection? Those are second-hand free te pick up or costs only a couple of euros.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a way to use windows or use some form of "Soft-load?" (I don't know what it would be called.)?
Remember that Microsoft Windows is not an open system. While not as bad as common smartphone OS in this regard, it gets locked down more and more. Read: The OS doesn't allow you to do certain things "for security reasons" – and an educated acceptance of certain risks isn't intended.
WEP is pretty much useless and therefore has been removed virtually anywhere to not make the impression of a viable encryption alternative.

Ironically some Android phones, which generally allow much less than Windows, might allow creating a WEP hotspot (or open hotspot).

A secondary Linux system, possible installed on an external SSD is the easiest method to use a PC for that task.

Or:
Isn't it easier to get a old WiFi router or access point which can do WEP and connect it to the existing internet connection? Those are second-hand free te pick up or costs only a couple of euros.

Battleboy96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Remember that Microsoft Windows is not an open system. While not as bad as common smartphone OS in this regard, it gets locked down more and more. Read: The OS doesn't allow you to do certain things "for security reasons" – and an educated acceptance of certain risks isn't intended.
WEP is pretty much useless and therefore has been removed virtually anywhere to not make the impression of a viable encryption alternative.

Ironically some Android phones, which generally allow much less than Windows, might allow creating a WEP hotspot (or open hotspot).

A secondary Linux system, possible installed on an external SSD is the easiest method to use a PC for that task.

Or:
All right. Thanks for your help. I'll do what I can.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is there a way to use windows or use some form of "Soft-load?" (I don't know what it would be called.)?
The Windows ones don't allow you to do WEP, at least none that I found. Only open (unsecured) or WPA. Also, I never had any luck getting the DS to detect an open wifi made this way. The DS is notoriously picky with APs.
I used an old wifi router that I plugged into my laptop to get a WEP network up for the DS, which I unplugged when not in use so people wouldn't hack into it and steal my wifi (which is very easy with WEP)
You could probably get an old router dirt cheap on eBay and the like, for like 5-10 bucks. They weren't very expensive when they were new. I used an old Linksys WRT54GL, anything that's 802.11g should be old enough to allow you to select WEP and the DS only does 802.11b anyway so it doesn't benefit from anything newer.

Battleboy96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The Windows ones don't allow you to do WEP, at least none that I found. Only open (unsecured) or WPA. Also, I never had any luck getting the DS to detect an open wifi made this way. The DS is notoriously picky with APs.
I used an old wifi router that I plugged into my laptop to get a WEP network up for the DS, which I unplugged when not in use so people wouldn't hack into it and steal my wifi (which is very easy with WEP)
You could probably get an old router dirt cheap on eBay and the like, for like 5-10 bucks. They weren't very expensive when they were new. I used an old Linksys WRT54GL, anything that's 802.11g should be old enough to allow you to select WEP and the DS only does 802.11b anyway so it doesn't benefit from anything newer.
Would one of these work? It's a Netgear NightHawk.
1714804048121.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol our trash can decided to go flying and flipped on its side