Collection History

SAIYAN48

Kaiser Supremissimus
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's your history with Thinkpads and what's in your collection?

My first machine was either a T400/T500 in grade 4. Used it until grade 9 when I got an X131e, that was a stubborn piece of crap :P

My current machines are:

R51
Pentium M 1.5 Banias
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon 7500
40GB 5400RPM
Got this for free

R500
Core 2 Duo P8400
4GB RAM
Intel GPU
128GB SSD
Broken keyboard
Got this one for $5 and managed to break some of the pins on the keyboard connector.

I also have the rare SK-8835 external keyboard; Got a decent prized Japanese layout.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you'll be booing me as 2/3 of my thinkpads are either e series or new :lol:

my first thinkpad was an e420s. Looking back it was ok, though when I got it, it was a huge step up from the old hand me down xp machines I've used before. Though later the keyboard broke and it got really slow for some reason (one might be because I later stole it's 4 gb ram and when I gave it to my brother we bought the cheapest one I could find. It's definitely not just stupid applications clogging up autostart, I looked for these things). It's also how I learned that switchable graphics in laptops isn't worth it.

a few years later I got an x230 tablet which I used until not too long ago, now my brother uses it. It's quite surprising how well the old non ulv ivy bridge cpus hold up and it's also quite funny how it took a few generations until the thinkpads in the same series with ulv processors got back to that speed. It's battery and fan got bad over the years and a few keys stopped working, so it's currently used without a battery. When I first wanted to replace the fan I stripped screw, so I left it in. Before I gave it to my brother I finally managed to replace it, but it was quite risk involving. Basically the stripped screw was very much on the right of the main board, while the fan was to the left. So I bend the main board upwards and replaced it that way.

I'm currently using a thinkpad x380 yoga. It's quite a nice computer, it's thin, but still has a relatively good amount of ports and is somewhat serviceable (though it has soldered ram :angry:). It fortunately has no problems and I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: SAIYAN48

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I have just one, using it right now!:
T480s
40GB ram
1TB ssd
Flashed the bios chip to disable Intel ME, and to enable undervolting in the bios settings
Running FreeBSD 13.0
I also put in a 256GB very small M2 2230 drive that needed a (cheap) adaptor to fit in the wwan port - Windows installed on that for when I rarely need to use it.

I'm very happy with my setup :)

Reactions: SAIYAN48

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: