Tomvita's tools

Feedback wanted on Breeze UI

TomSwitch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Current UI only supports a rather limited number of buttons on screen, to expand the command available I have adopted two methods
1. Move to a different screen.
2. Expand the command panel overlapping it with data panel with potential of interference with the touch functionality of the command button.

I like your opinions if you have any about this

On method 2 currently I have made it such that expanding the command panel is required for buttons that has short cut but are not currently visible to be activated. Any one prefer to be able to use buttons that are not currently visible? ( you may have remembered the short cut by heart and prefer a less cluttered screen )

TomSwitch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2022082519033700-CCFA659F4857F96DDA29AFEDB2E166E6.jpg
This is the expanded menu, when expanded you can do things that you normally have to go to Express Search Setup to do. If you have remembered the short cut would you prefer the screen to look like the following?

2022082519080000-CCFA659F4857F96DDA29AFEDB2E166E6.jpg
At the moment short cut not shown on screen are not available ( actually on beta44 if you have toggled "ExpandMenu" the short cut does works as long as you didn't exit Search Manager, a bug that will be fixed unless we think that this is a good feature )

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Shekan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think having the shortcuts available with the panel collapsed makes sense. For some users, certain commands might be commonplace, and having their key combo only work after the panel is expanded just adds an additional step (and therefore an additional level of frustration).

I can see why it may be as such so as to prevent users from accidentally activating a function. However, chances are that people using Breeze won't be randomly mashing buttons while in these screens, so the likelihood of an accidental activation seems low in my opinion.

If you are concerned about the possibility of accidental function activation, then one remedy could be to make it so that any potentially long-running processes require an additional confirmation before executing. In this way, even in the event a user accidentally activates a 'hidden' function, they would only be capable of activating those which are:
  • easily cancelled, and/or
  • short-running, and/or
  • have no irreversible consequences
Yes, that may be removing a step just to add in an additional step. Despite that, if you narrow down and focus the commands for which confirmation is required then it just means that those which require the confirmation still take the exact same number of button presses to activate (minus 1 press to [not] expand the panel, plus 1 press to confirm the action).

edit: final paragraph for elaboration

Last edited by Shekan,

TomSwitch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think having the shortcuts available with the panel collapsed makes sense. For some users, certain commands might be commonplace, and having their key combo only work after the panel is expanded just adds an additional step (and therefore an additional level of frustration).

I can see why it may be as such so as to prevent users from accidentally activating a function. However, chances are that people using Breeze won't be randomly mashing buttons while in these screens, so the likelihood of an accidental activation seems low in my opinion.

If you are concerned about the possibility of accidental function activation, then one remedy could be to make it so that any potentially long-running processes require an additional confirmation before executing. In this way, even in the event a user accidentally activates a 'hidden' function, they would only be capable of activating those which are:
  • easily cancelled, and/or
  • short-running, and/or
  • have no irreversible consequences
Yes, that may be removing a step just to add in an additional step. Despite that, if you narrow down and focus the commands for which confirmation is required then it just means that those which require the confirmation still take the exact same number of button presses to activate (minus 1 press to [not] expand the panel, plus 1 press to confirm the action).

edit: final paragraph for elaboration
There is a button visible only in search manager. Affect all menu
Post automatically merged:

There is one check that maybe I will perform. That is a search for zero as the first search. All others are fair game

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: