Hacking GBC/GBA combined flash cart?

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm interested in playing both GBC and GBA games on my GBA. Is there any flash cart that is GBA-cartridge sized but which can play both GBA and GBC roms? That is, I'd rather not buy a GBC-specific flash cart like the Everdrive GB as I dislike the way it sticks out of the GBA.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
no. you can get a gba flashcart and use a gbc emulator.. but it is really far from perfect... for the emulator you can search goomba... it converts game boy\color roms into advance roms...

when you plug a gbc cart in your game boy advance the cartridge presses down a button which start the game boy in GBC mode... its a bit hard to see but its there...

GBC and GBA cartridges are different (the voltage and other stuff is different) so it would be a challenge to get a dual mode cart...

Reactions: pelago

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I don't really want an emulator - I want something that would use the native GBC hardware inside the GBA. I knew about the button thing, and imagined that a theoretical combined cartridge could have some kind of sliding switch that would activate the button and change voltages etc. between GBC and GBA mode.

Oh well, if no such thing exists, I'll look into two separate flash carts, but it still seems to me like a nice idea for a potential flash cart developer.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thanks. I don't really want an emulator - I want something that would use the native GBC hardware inside the GBA. I knew about the button thing, and imagined that a theoretical combined cartridge could have some kind of sliding switch that would activate the button and change voltages etc. between GBC and GBA mode.

Oh well, if no such thing exists, I'll look into two separate flash carts, but it still seems to me like a nice idea for a potential flash cart developer.

i also thing that. i also thing it would be cool to have a switch on the cart and you could select the mode... but i guess no one wants to pick up on this project and it would be hard to make (and the cart would be very expensive..)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only flash cart that ever had this ability would be the combination of a Flash2Advance cart and the GB Bridge addon to it. With the GB Bridge, you could play GB and GBC games stored on your Flash2Advance cartridge.

Otherwise, you'll want to use Goomba Color. I don't know quite what the other person is talking about, as I've had Goomba Color work perfectly for all the games I've tried. Make sure you're using the latest release and not the ancient Alpha 6 release that got spread around the Internet a lot.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's technically feasible to make a double-sided PCB like this, however it would require making it multi-layered, it would definitely be a complicated project. There isn't a single device that does this, it's more economical to focus on one platform. Your best bet is to grab an EZ-Flash IV for native GBA support and an Everdrive GB for native GB/C support. :)

Reactions: pelago

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Goomba Color is great. I remembered when people bickered on PocketHeaven about how we'll never have a GBC emulator on the GBA, and then Dwedit saves the day.
Hasn't been updated in a good while but it works well.

I use regular Goomba for GB and Goomba Color for GBC games.

Reactions: Charli and pelago

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Goomba Color is great. I remembered when people bickered on PocketHeaven about how we'll never have a GBC emulator on the GBA, and then Dwedit saves the day.
Hasn't been updated in a good while but it works well.

I use regular Goomba for GB and Goomba Color for GBC games.
+1

Playing a lot of GB games with Goomba and it works great. It's also the only way to keep my Tetris highscores :D
Never had any issues with Goomba Color, but haven't actually played that much GBC games.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
+1

Playing a lot of GB games with Goomba and it works great. It's also the only way to keep my Tetris highscores :D
Never had any issues with Goomba Color, but haven't actually played that much GBC games.

GBC has a few games that don't work as well as some features missing, like the high color mode.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
It's technically feasible to make a double-sided PCB like this, however it would require making it multi-layered, it would definitely be a complicated project. There isn't a single device that does this, it's more economical to focus on one platform. Your best bet is to grab an EZ-Flash IV for native GBA support and an Everdrive GB for native GB/C support. :)

Well you could probably use a voltage regulator to run the entire cart on 3.3V even in GB/C mode thus reducing the complexity a bit but it would still be quite complex and almost certainly require an expensive FPGA setup and a bunch of other stuff as well. It would definitely be more expensive than an Everdrive GB + a GBA flash cart.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though the OP didn't say anything about making a cart, it is real easy to make a simple flash cart with a donor cart (MBC5+SRAM is the best of course) and a flash chip. Only problem is having to have a GB Transfer linker (and a parallel port on your PC), hotswapping the chip into a PC to burn the game(s) like a BIOS update, or a chip programmer.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States

Similarly a double ended cart with separate PCBs could face interference or heat issues. They'd be quite close together...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3