NEEK fails, what am I missing? (already tried UNEEK and UNEEK+DI from ModMii)

BustaUppa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Background on my setup - I've been following wii.guide, so I believe I'm running the latest and greatest for my homebrew environment. Here's what I've completed so far:
  • Bootmii installed - I have an RVL-101 so it's not on boot2 (SD card preparation failed during Hackmii installer, but I was able to set up later with an offline installation and then do a full NAND backup)
  • Priiloader installed
  • HBC installed
  • cIOS installed & configured based on wii.guide instructions
  • USB drive formatted via WIi Backup Manager
  • USB Loader GX installed (later set up with a forwarder channel while troubleshooting NEEK)
  • .wbfs files launching successfully from external USB
  • Created emuNAND on external USB
    • NAND dumped via USB Loader "Features" menu
    • set emuNAND paths in USB Loader
    • successfully installed some .wads to emuNAND
Launching the .wads from emuNAND is where things get dicey. I think the emuNAND itself is good, since the installed .wads actually show up in USB Loader when USB + emuNAND Channels are selected, and one .wad (Cave Story) did launch successfully without changing anything. All other .wads gave me either a black screen, white screen, or error message. Meanwhile all have launched fine when installed to real NAND (including Castlevania Rebirth), so I know the .wads themselves are good.

This is where I assume NEEK comes in. I did what I could to follow guides online (mostly pieces of different posts by Cyan), but the Wii always freezes at the step where NEEK is supposed to launch. So far I've done the following:
  • used ModMii to install UNEEK neek2o rev96
  • copied the contents of "COPY_TO_SD" and "COPY_TO_USB" to the respective devices
  • attempted to start NEEK using the following methods:
    • launching "nswitch v2.2" from HBC (starts normally then freezes at "reloading Bootmii IOS")
    • selecting "Boot Neek System Menu" from USB Loader "Features" menu (instant black screen)
    • launching a game after setting "EmuNAND Channel Mode" to "Neek" in Loader Settings (instant black screen)
    • launching BootMii from HBC menu (some guides state this will launch NEEK after you've copied the ModMii files - now it just produces another black screen)
    • using ModMii files from a "UNEEK" installation rather than "UNEEK+DI"
In all cases I've given the black screens some time, since the guides state the initial launch will take a few minutes. But the Wii never gets out of the frozen state and the remote remains disconnected until I manually shut down.

There's obviously something I'm missing here... any suggestions appreciated! Are there any other files I'm supposed to have for NEEK other than the output from ModMii? And I assume the new BootMii issues are related to the files I got from ModMii. I have an original armboot.bin file from the offline BootMii install process, should I just put that back on there and overwrite the files I got from ModMii?

My Wii has an online connection and both an SD card and USB device available, so I'm ready to try a bunch of different options. TIA!

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, i'm trying to redo a wii as well (also couldn't install boot2), and have researched the following steps (i just posted from another forum on gbatemp, so its just copy/paste)

1) generate nand dump via usb loader gx, use full dump option and set loader option to full, also setting the option for enable emuand games back at the home screen of usb loader (wii and gc games are usually the default options)
2) use modmii to generate uneek + di files, and place the appropriate folders on SD and USB
3) install one of the wads to get you back to real nand (nswitch), where usb loader gx actually lives. for the games that are individually set to use neek, you will set the loader to exit to that app (nswitch). the app triggers a reboot, where you end up back on your real nand after restart
4) use usb loader gx wad installer and install your wads to the emunand.
5) most games will use cios mode. if something doesn't start, set it individually to use neek via usb loader gx, and set it to return to the neek2o (nswitch) channel, which will initiate a reboot back into real nand.
6) launch neek once manually to generate necessary files, by doing so from usb loader gx settings.

so now, after completing this, you can:
install virtually all wiiware and vc games to your emunand (which lives on usb), setting the problematic ones to use neek individually via usb loader gx (such as n64 vc games and castlevania rebirth).

my other question is, are there any games that can't utilize this method, and must still be installed to real nand? if so, is there any way to locate a current list? Thanks.

Last edited by grandosegood,
Reactions: Visualwit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto