Hacking New Super Mario Bros. Wii

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if using an IOS53 with with Waninkoko's r14 DIP or Hermes' 222/223 DIP similar to cIOScorp could possibly do the trick. Maybe if someone like da_letter_a can have a look at the IOS and perhaps kill two birds with one stone.

@vashgs-It's not possible without a modchip.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kongsnutz said:
sbanting said:
I'm a little confused as I have IOS 53 v4xxx on mine and the game still runs for 2 mins or wat ever with my wiikey v1, so does the newer IOS do anything different?

No i only mentioned it because the disc wouldn't show on someones wii. IOS53 makes it show and play for a few mins.

If you can already play it at all, you have a sufficient IOS53

Posts merged

QUOTE(Riicky @ Nov 9 2009, 03:12 AM) Could the "protection" possibly be in the new IOS53?? maybe everybody is looking in the wrong place?

No because it only uses the 4.1 IOS53, you can play it with a newer one and still same issue.
So no they didn't make a IOS53 just for this game, it just has 4.1 version

I see what your saying, but it could be possible that the "protection" was added in the 4.1 IOS53, thus throwing everybody off once the game was released after 4.2 came out? I'm just brainstorming over here lol

mistajase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mistajase said:
orbulon83 said:
Is there any chance that this is Metaforic's work?
Someone pointed out the deal with Nintendo for the DS

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/13/metafori...s-for-ds-games/

Read the way they word it there -- they put security directly into the game code, so it becomes intrinsically linked... they say that metaforic's implementations are designed to spot the patching (and auto-patching) that goes on when playing a game on an R4 for example.

Logic leads me to believe that the reason why the backups fail and why USB doesn't work is because someone - be it Nintendo themselves or a contractor - has sat down and figured out how to make USB/DVDx/cIOS fail under certain conditions. The game routinely presents those conditions making the game freeze out, while retail discs go on unaffected.

Good thought Orbulon. This would explain why the original retail version works on a modded wii but 1:1 back-ups will fail.
Looks like Metaforic's MetalFortress program (or something similar!) has made it onto the wii.
Not to worry tho, there will be a workaround eventually but it may differ from game to game... we might have to use PC style cracks to get games to work or have to download pre-cracked versions.

Looks like were gonna have to wait..........

Personally I think that this is the most likely reason why the game will only work with the retail version(even on a modded wii) and not back-ups.
There must be code in the game that crashes backup launchers or usb loaders if they running.
If you are running the original retail version you wouldn't use a usb loader or backup launcher.

Thats my theory (and Orbulons!) anyway.....

Dacvak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riicky said:
I see what your saying, but it could be possible that the "protection" was added in the 4.1 IOS53, thus throwing everybody off once the game was released after 4.2 came out? I'm just brainstorming over here lol

I understand what you're saying, and while I suppose that could be possible (with specific regards to this game), it's highly, highly unlikely.

Keep at it, James. I trust you'll be able to figure this out soon enough. =D

mopar4u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vashgs said:
I know you'll point me at the first page, but how can a normal softmod user without a modchip play the first few minutes like everyone else? With Neogamma I get a green screen for a couple seconds then a reboot of my Wii.

I get the same thing, green screen then a reboot. I just updated to 4.1 today and updated all the IOS's via Dop-IOS

Dacvak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mistajase said:
Personally I think that this is the most likely reason why the game will only work with the retail version(even on a modded wii) and not back-ups.
There must be code in the game that crashes backup launchers or usb loaders if they running.
If you are running the original retail version you wouldn't use a usb loader or backup launcher.

Is it possible to launch a retail game from a backup launcher? Someone go launch their retail game from a backup loader and see if they get any errors.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible, but I'm pretty sure retail games simply run as they always would. That is, they run from their normal IOS with normal read commands instead of via cIOS/dip module commands.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they tried that and they got errors. Any use in talking about the COPYDATE files? Or is that decided they are useless?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PainToad said:
kongsnutz said:
You need IOS53 , a new one.
I'm on 4.0, it booted fine, no IOS installs or updates....

Yeh i know, that was in response to a guy that updated from 3.2 to 4.1 using waninkoko's updater.

That updater doesnt get some IOS files IOS53 is one of those.

4.0 has IOS53 also, this is why it works.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Dacvak said:
mistajase said:

Is it possible to launch a retail game from a backup launcher? Someone go launch their retail game from a backup loader and see if they get any errors.

good point i might of missed this but has any one with the retail copy try either uLoader, GX or any other USB/Disk loader other than Gecko to boot the game to see if that make any difference

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dacvak said:
mistajase said:

yes it works in neogamma and the old backup launcher using the retail disc.

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
It's possible, but I'm pretty sure retail games simply run as they always would. That is, they run from their normal IOS with normal read commands instead of via cIOS/dip module commands.

Actually I believe softchip and Gecko OS are the only loaders that launch originals with the standard IOSes, despite neogamma, etc not needed to, they still launch them with a cIOS, or at least this is my experience with test a original RB2 disc and those neogamma, USB GX's disc loader, etc.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
kongsnutz said:
Dacvak said:
mistajase said:

yes it works in neogamma and the old backup launcher using the retail disc.

what about a USB loader that can load disks other than Neo

mopar4u

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PainToad said:
kongsnutz said:
PainToad said:
kongsnutz said:
You need IOS53 , a new one.
I'm on 4.0, it booted fine, no IOS installs or updates....

Yeh i know, that was in response to a guy that updated from 3.2 to 4.1 using waninkoko's updater.

That updater doesnt get some IOS files IOS53 is one of those.

4.0 has IOS53 also, this is why it works.
Uhhh another reason his updates are fail.

I updated IOS53 using DOP-IOS today, shouldn't I at least be able to load this game? I get the green screen and a re-boot.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
acesniper said:
^^ USB Loader GX

why thats answers everything, im asking if anyone with the retail has tried to boot the game using a USB Loader that can load disks, yes GX can, uLoader can load disks but has anyone tried yet

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
knognutz, is there anyway for you to do a md5 for the whole retail disc, since you have one of those LG drives, I'm not sure how it reads the data from the Wii disc, and then compare that to the md5 of the 1:1 iso you made. Also have you tried some DVD cloning software to do a direct disc to disc copy vs. ripping the original and then burning it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Ken looks like the one in my shower