Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii crash on the "Hold the Wii Remote horizontally. Press 2."

Malo1301

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My Newer SMB Wii wbfs always crashes on the Hold the Wii Remote horizontally. Press 2 screen, and that's a problem, because I want to have a forwarder, but I can't make a forwarder for a Riivolution ROM hack, I tried do dump again my NSMBW disc, I tried to patch this dump with the Newer SMB Wii mod I downloaded a new time, with the Newer mod ISO builder I also redownloaded, but I still have this problem on Dolphin and on my real Wii, so I am using Riivolution until I can find a solution.

EDIT: I had not a single empty block left, and this time it worked. So the problem is reading or creating a save file.

Last edited by Malo1301,

Malo1301

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You reinstalled cIOS?
I don't think it would change something because I tried to launch the game on Dolphin after deleting the Nand folder (%appdata%\Dolphin Emulator\Wii) and the game was still crashing. cIOS or nothing don't change anything.

Hoap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Newer SMB uses a different .sav filename so there is no way it would be loading the NSMB save file.
the Riivolution config sets the filename. if you patch the files into the retail game, that change isn't carried over.
Post automatically merged:

Just looked in the file. the config actually patches a TON more stuff. I just tried loading it without those patches and it also crashed after that screen.
I also tried loading it without the "rename save file" patch and it turns out... the save files are actually compatible somehow! just really buggy.

OP, you can check if the game really crashed or if it's just taking a long time to load by pressing HOME, -, +, -, +, 1, 2, 1, 2, A. if the crash handler appears then yup, it crashed.
if it didn't actually crash, then i guess it's taking a long time to load.

Last edited by Hoap,

Malo1301

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the Riivolution config sets the filename. if you patch the files into the retail game, that change isn't carried over.

Just looked in the file. the config actually patches a TON more stuff. I just tried loading it without those patches and it also crashed after that screen.
I also tried loading it without the "rename save file" patch and it turns out... the save files are actually compatible somehow! just really buggy.

OP, you can check if the game really crashed or if it's just taking a long time to load by pressing HOME, -, +, -, +, 1, 2, 1, 2, A. if the crash handler appears then yup, it crashed.
The crash handler don't show up but the game never unfreezes, or it takes a very long time to unfreeze (I waited 2-3 minutes). But something is weird, because on Dolphin after the "crash" if I click on an another window, dolphin will just be black, and do no longer want to display something other than this black screen.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
It honestly might just be that Wit, which is what all the NSMBW mod builder tools use for rebuilding the ISO, is not particularly great at actually making proper images.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I use a Newer SMB .wbfs I made with the ISO builder. I can guarantee you, the save file is still saved to a different .sav file. As I've looked at the dumped/extracted save file in the past, when I wanted to export the save from the WIi and import it into Dolphin.

My Newer SMB Wii wbfs always crashes on the Hold the Wii Remote horizontally. Press 2 screen, and that's a problem, because I want to have a forwarder, but I can't make a forwarder for a Riivolution ROM hack, I tried do dump again my NSMBW disc, I tried to patch this dump with the Newer SMB Wii mod I downloaded a new time, with the Newer mod ISO builder I also redownloaded, but I still have this problem on Dolphin and on my real Wii, so I am using Riivolution until I can find a solution.

EDIT: I had not a single empty block left, and this time it worked. So the problem is reading or creating a save file.
Now I remembered where I've heard this before. I think that's exactly where it crashes in Dolphin on my phone (using the Riivolution mods feature of Dolphin)
I've played it on Dolphin (on PC) before with the wbfs from the ISO builder though, with no issues. Never figured out why it was crashing on my phone. But clearly, it doesn't seem to be an issue limited to just emulators, it could be a bug in Newer SMB itself.

Edit: Just checked it on my phone again, it's working now. Don't remember if I did anything to fix it. I remember it being extremely laggy, then it would crash after a few seconds, regardless of whether I pressed 2 on the screen or not.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Malo1301

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use a Newer SMB .wbfs I made with the ISO builder. I can guarantee you, the save file is still saved to a different .sav file. As I've looked at the dumped/extracted save file in the past, when I wanted to export the save from the WIi and import it into Dolphin.

Now I remembered where I've heard this before. I think that's exactly where it crashes in Dolphin on my phone (using the Riivolution mods feature of Dolphin)
I've played it on Dolphin (on PC) before with the wbfs from the ISO builder though, with no issues. Never figured out why it was crashing on my phone. But clearly, it doesn't seem to be an issue limited to just emulators, it could be a bug in Newer SMB itself.

Edit: Just checked it on my phone again, it's working now. Don't remember if I did anything to fix it. I remember it being extremely laggy, then it would crash after a few seconds, regardless of whether I pressed 2 on the screen or not.
I think what I will do when I get back home from vacations, will be to patch a New SMBW iso using the xml modified to use a save file on the SD card, that's all I can do... And it didn't work.

Last edited by Malo1301,

Busybody64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you fix it? Does it still crash? I have this same problem too.

This is the only video i could find about it.

Last edited by Busybody64,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?