Hacking New Wii with [lu64*] serial number unhackable?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were able to downgrade, then that probably means your Wii wasn't the "unhackable" type (you can run TitleLister to see if you have that IOS3 in there or not to be sure).

I was having issues with running the cIOS Installers until someone suggested that I reformat my SD Card to FAT (not FAT16 or 32, just FAT). After I did that, then it worked just fine. Also, you can always find IOS-36 somewhere so you don't have to do a network install. Put it in the root of your SD Card once you find it.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Screemer said:
why is nobody trying noobwarriors suggestion? everybody was demanding a solution rapidly and now none is willing to try it? that's bad.

I second that. Isn't that the solution SoftMii is going to provide?

Ki113r R311ik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i reformated sd card and put ios36 on root but still didnt change anything. tried it alot before but figured i would try again. I did download title lister and i do have ios3 vers: 255.0. Dont understand why i have been able to downgrade and have everthing working except being able to run backup launcher. dvdx is on iso249 under advanced. cant even read dvd in emulators.

Ki113r R311ik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i installed ios16 with wm 1.3 than installed cios_fix with custom wm ran ios downgrader installed shop ios51 than ran cios downgrader and picked 3.2u rebooted and checked ver and was at 3.2u. emulators work but for life of me can't get any launcher to load dvd errors 324. launcher says ios 249 and hb is on ios36 v4.18.i have no mod. guess cios installer errors at install because its already been done. im missing a wad, ios or something is not quit right only main problem seems to be the lack of ability to load a backup. its a good burn. and why cant it read dvd in emulator either?

decoder0n3

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe Nintendo changed something inside the Starlet. Starlet may be checking the signature of every IOS now it gets (maybe it does this on all Wiis but was ignored because of the trucha bug). So if you want to switch to IOS249 or something like that and the signature Check fails you cant switch to this new IOSes and use their functions. This step wouldnt stop Homebrew but stops Softmod and Customizing IOSes (could be a dead end). Its just a theory. No more no less.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
decoder0n3 said:
Maybe Nintendo changed something inside the Starlet.
Well it would have to be changed in boot1, boot2, or IOS. Starlet is just the ARM9 hardware core in the Hollywood chip. It runs the code in boot0, boot1, boot2, and IOS.

decoder0n3 said:
(maybe it does this on all Wiis but was ignored because of the trucha bug).
If that were the case then we could never modify a Wii with no bugged IOS versions, but that is not true.

QUOTE(decoder0n3 @ Apr 13 2009, 04:42 AM)
Starlet may be checking the signature of every IOS now it gets...So if you want to switch to IOS249 or something like that and the signature Check fails you cant switch to this new IOSes and use their functions.
Maybe, but the check would be for a "faked" signature (all zeroes).

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
wad manager 16 installing cIOS35 from cIOScorp v1

Should fail because IOS16 does not have the ability to overwrite existing titles (even if IOS35 was downgraded by Comex's 3.4 DVDX installer).

Edit: Should say "IOS16 does not have the ability to overwrite existing titles that have higher version numbers". It seems that WadManager using IOS16 was able to overwrite cIOS v7 with cIOS v9 in crix0r's case.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the NAND FS dumper work on "unhackable" Wii's?

If so, I would recommend the following:

1. Install HBC on a virgin "unhackable" LU64 Wii running on 3.4U
2. Run NAND FS dumper to dump the entire FS

Then perform the same steps on a virgin, hackable LU63 or LU64 Wii running on 3.4U.

Then run the two dumps through a comparison (like HexCmp or another comparator) and find out exactly which files have changed. That should give you a starting point to where any changes have been made.

Just a thought.

Ki113r R311ik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so any ideas on how to fix? seems most with lu64 have not been able to downgrade to 3.2u which i have been able to do for some reason. no black screens or errors till came time to set up backup launcher all i can ever get is dvd error 324. or black screen .I've tried several loaders none will work.

Kobes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a lu6407 wii wit 3.4u my brother-in-law said he tried for 5 hours to hack but didnt succed. Does anyone have ideas that he can try, i see others that have higher serial #'s succeded your help is appreciated

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ki113r R311ik said:
so any ideas on how to fix? seems most with lu64 have not been able to downgrade to 3.2u which i have been able to do for some reason. no black screens or errors till came time to set up backup launcher all i can ever get is dvd error 324. or black screen .I've tried several loaders none will work.

You are probably experiencing a different issue. If you have downgraded to 3.2u and can get as far as a DVD error 324 then you are not having the same issue as is described in this thread. I would look in other threads for help with your particular issue.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Dteyn @ Apr 13 2009, 01:30 PM) Does the NAND FS dumper work on "unhackable" Wii's?

I don't believe it does.

collectedsoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
noobwarrior7's steps were a little beyond my comprehension. If there was any clear instruction on what steps I could take I'm willing to try it...as long as I can revert to the original config if I decide to return the Wii (this can be done?)

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crix0r said:
After using CMDVDX 3.4 to downgrade IOS35, I tried the WMIOS35. I don't get a blank screen, the banner for WM comes up but the systems halts from there.
My guess would be that WMIOS35 is writing to the display before calling IOS_ReloadIOS whereas other WadManagers may not be(?). This would be the same as a blank screen then.

Crix0r said:
I did a hard reboot and tried installing CIOSV9.wad using the WMIOS16. It worked!
I think this just means that WM16 can overwrite an older version IOS with a newer version. I don't think it's related to downgrading IOS35 with the 3.4 DVDX installer.

QUOTE(Crix0r @ Apr 11 2009, 09:33 PM)
Anyone else think this is related to IOS36?
Not really, but I think if we could downgrade all of the "normal" IOS'es then cIOS would function again. But then again that pretty much is the problem in the first place
frown.gif

I would be interested to know what Comex's 3.4 DVDX installer does to IOS35. In theory, if it were only a true downgrader it would download the older IOS35 files from the NUS servers, pack them into a WAD (properly signed) and install them using the newer exploit (not the fakesigning bug). If that was the case then the ticket for IOS35 would have a valid signature. And in that case, if WMIOS35 is freezing when calling IOS_ReloadIOS(35) then it is not a fake signature that is causing it.

If, however, Comex's downgrader just patches the existing IOS35 (lowering version, adding fakesign bug), packs it into a WAD and fakesigns it before installing it then the ticket for IOS35 would have a faked signature and it could be the fake signature that is causing it to hang.

I may be way off base on this (above). Does anyone know exactly what Comex's IOS35 downgrader does?

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
fogbank said:
Crix0r said:
After using CMDVDX 3.4 to downgrade IOS35, I tried the WMIOS35. I don't get a blank screen, the banner for WM comes up but the systems halts from there.
My guess would be that WMIOS35 is writing to the display before calling IOS_ReloadIOS whereas other WadManagers may not be(?). This would be the same as a blank screen then.

Crix0r said:
I did a hard reboot and tried installing CIOSV9.wad using the WMIOS16. It worked!
I think this just means that WM16 can overwrite an older version IOS with a newer version. I don't think it's related to downgrading IOS35 with the 3.4 DVDX installer.

QUOTE(Crix0r @ Apr 11 2009, 09:33 PM)
Anyone else think this is related to IOS36?
Not really, but I think if we could downgrade all of the "normal" IOS'es then cIOS would function again. But then again that pretty much is the problem in the first place
frown.gif

I would be interested to know what Comex's 3.4 DVDX installer does to IOS35. In theory, if it were only a true downgrader it would download the older IOS35 files from the NUS servers, pack them into a WAD (properly signed) and install them using the newer exploit (not the fakesigning bug). If that was the case then the ticket for IOS35 would have a valid signature. And in that case, if WMIOS35 is freezing when calling IOS_ReloadIOS(35) then it is not a fake signature that is causing it.

If, however, Comex's downgrader just patches the existing IOS35 (lowering version, adding fakesign bug), packs it into a WAD and fakesigns it before installing it then the ticket for IOS35 would have a faked signature and it could be the fake signature that is causing it to hang.

I may be way off base on this (above). Does anyone know exactly what Comex's IOS35 downgrader does?
I only know that it patches the version in the tmd to 0 (via an unknown exploit), then it downloads v1040 (trucha-enabled) from NUS and installs it normally.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Davi92 said:
fogbank said:

I only know that it patches the version in the tmd to 0 (via an unknown exploit), then it downloads v1040 (trucha-enabled) from NUS and installs it normally.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

I think this becomes like the dog chasing its tail (and I don't mean that in a productive way obviously). All Comex's 3.4 DVDX installer will do is put another IOS on the system that has the fakesigning bug. All WMIOS35 will do is provide an alternative to Custom WAD Manager (IOS16) for installing cIOS.

Unless IOS35 v1040 can overwrite existing IOS'es with older versions (via WMIOS35 of course) then this will not help. It's great for the older Wii's that have been updated to 4.0 without cIOS installed, but it doesn't help the LU64+ Wii's that cannot seem to use cIOS to downgrade
frown.gif

johnnycs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kornychaos said:
I have an LU6468 which came with 3.4U.
Currently I'm on 4.0U and I can indeed play backups of my originals:

Steps which worked for me:
a) Install the Homebrew Channel using the Twilight Hack
b) Place Channel File Manager 2.0 BETA 4 on the SD card

I have an LU6432... and I have already installed the Twilight Hack and I have installed quite a few WADs through the custom WAD Manager for IOS16.

I get the black screen on step b - Running Channel File Manager 2.0 Beta 4. Is it not running because of something I could have done in previous attempts, or is my Wii just another unmodifiable one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, and idk where does she live