PS5 interchangeable ram moduls from EDM-010 to EDM-020?

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

does someone tried to swap RAM modules from different manufactures (Samsung <> Micron)?
I have two defect PS5 (EDM-010 and EDM-020).
I suspect the ram at the EDM-020 to be faulty. Now I want to replace the ram modules and I'm wondering if I can use the ram ics from the other faulty EDM-010.

IMG_6132.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard folks swap from micron to Samsung, the Samsung appear to have less failure. But the swaps were of all the chips, meaning all micron on board to all samsung or vice versa. So it's not clear whether one can mix up the chips on the same board.

Reactions: jkyoho

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the ram is replaceable with the other brand, I would replace all eight modules. But I know from other pcbs there is a kind of jumper strukture to give the controller ic info about the soldered modules. But here I'm not sure if it is about the brand or just different timings. And as the struktur around the ram ics looks total different from EDM-010 and EDM-020 I'm not sure, where to look.
Maybe there is someone with a EDM-020 board with Micron ram ics. Or a EDM-010 with Samsung ram ics.

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is the video swapping micron ram to SEC and board works without further BOM hack.

FYI , that's a ED-03x board

That guy is a genius, watched all his videos. What does "BOM hack" mean? I have a board that I will be attempting a ram swap.

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

This is the video swapping micron ram to SEC and board works without further BOM hack.

FYI , that's a ED-03x board

Now I saw the video the second time and pay attention to the brands of the ram ics, my question is answered. :)

FiXiNGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you tell me based on what measurements you decided to swap the RAM? I have a 2 Sec BLOD device here with every voltage is okay. On power up the GPU and RAM gets warm and then it shuts down.

Furthermore after that it will have a beep without light. After that again a beep with light, GPU and RAM after 1-2 sec off

stetofix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you tell me based on what measurements you decided to swap the RAM? I have a 2 Sec BLOD device here with every voltage is okay. On power up the GPU and RAM gets warm and then it shuts down.

Furthermore after that it will have a beep without light. After that again a beep with light, GPU and RAM after 1-2 sec off

The ps5 in question has a long BLOD. Most voltages are ok. The only thing I could find is one voltage reading at one test point which is off (red marking) in comparation to other boards.
I assumed that it is related to the ram ics, but i I think it is not, because I couldn't find a matching pad under the ram ics (I checked this on a donor board without ram ics).

tp_apubuck_voltage_.png

FiXiNGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi again. I now have a console where I have to swap all eight modules to Samsung. Sadly I have no suitable stencil here. Does anyone knows the spec, which bga and which spacing is needed for PS5?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9