The System Files Are Corrupted Garbled Text

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Booted my Wii up and got a message "The System Files are Corrupted..." in garbled text, barely readable.

2. Restarted it a few times and it happened every time. Fuck.

3. Eventually I would get to the Health and Safety Menu but I could NOT press A. It would freeze on this screen.

4. I googled the initial error and found this for error messages:

"The System Files Are Corrupted
A banner Brick; when the Wii Menu detects a corrupted or incompatible channel banner, it will crash to this error. If you do encounter this error and want to fix it, use AnyTitle Deleter to delete the channel with the bad or invalid banner."

5. I only have channels installed on my SD Card (besides forwarder ones). I decided to eject my SD card before booting the Wii, and voila -- it booted right up.

Question(s):

What do I do here? Is the advice above regarding AnyTitle Deleter still my path forward? If so, how do I know which channel has the bad or invalid banner? It's been a while since I installed any new wads... Is this definitely a banner brick? I would expect it to happen right after I installed the bad channel? But as I mentioned, everything has been fine until tonight.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by clandestine,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
See if you can make a PC backup of your SD card without any corrupt file copy errors.
If the copied files succeeded then copy to another/different SD card & see how you go.
It could be just a SD card gone bad (&/or some files).

If not, then I hope you had/have PriiLoader installed & a Nand backup.
I wouldn't use Any Title Deleter if signs are showing corrupt files. ATD could also be damaged.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A banner brick is generally a plain black screen, I had that problem but don't remember the cause for sure - could it have been caused by doing a factory reset with Priiloader installed (which removes the actual Wii Menu)?

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See if you can make a PC backup of your SD card without any corrupt file copy errors.
If the copied files succeeded then copy to another/different SD card & see how you go.
It could be just a SD card gone bad (&/or some files).

If not, then I hope you had/have PriiLoader installed & a Nand backup.
I wouldn't use Any Title Deleter if signs are showing corrupt files. ATD could also be damaged.
So after I made my 1st post, my Wii successfully began booting with my SD card and I didn't get any system corrupt errors or freezing.. The only weird thing that was happening was if I went to my SD card menu, I encountered odd behavior. Channels sporadically appearing as grey question marks and saying I could not launch them (regardless of region). If I scrolled back and forth they would eventually appear and be launchable. If I hit the HOME menu, my system would freeze. Like my Wii was having trouble reading my SD card.

If I copied channel data to nand all channels would launch fine. I obviously have patched ios80 and have for years, so I dunno why this is happening.

I HAVE a backup of my SD card from 6 months ago on my PC and I tried copying that to a freshly formatted SD card and putting it in my Wii. similar errors. So I don't think it's the card. I think something is up with my Wii, but what could it be? And is it a hardware issue or is it software?

I have a bootmii backup of my system at least. Side note is I do think a capacitors are going in my Wii because component output is acting strange lately and the console has to warm up for a minute before the picture to be stable. I wonder if this is related.

Appreciate you guys sharing your comments and thoughts!

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Side note is I do think a capacitors are going in my Wii because component output is acting strange lately and the console has to warm up for a minute before the picture to be stable
Could be your Wii's output, power-supply or both. Try Wii2HDMI & see if it improves.

As for caps going old & failing - Rip your Wii apart & look/smell closely for leaks/wear & tear.
The 1min warm-up just isn't enough to phase me it's the caps, but they could be slowly heading towards caps heaven/hell ;)

Hope you know what you're doing & can re-assemble it back together again. Some special tools are need, but I think you know that already :)

If you're assuming system files/apps/settings are at fault, you can always run/use ModMii to update outdated apps. I would most likely do this step first prior to any other. Less physical labor ;)
Also make sure you incorporate/setup PriiLoader

Reactions: clandestine

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be your Wii's output, power-supply or both. Try Wii2HDMI & see if it improves.

As for caps going old & failing - Rip your Wii apart & look/smell closely for leaks/wear & tear.
The 1min warm-up just isn't enough to phase me it's the caps, but they could be slowly heading towards caps heaven/hell ;)

Hope you know what you're doing & can re-assemble it back together again. Some special tools are need, but I think you know that already :)

If you're assuming system files/apps/settings are at fault, you can always run/use ModMii to update outdated apps. I would most likely do this step first prior to any other. Less physical labor ;)
Also make sure you incorporate/setup PriiLoader

I hope it's not the caps because I heard they're a bitch to solder new ones on. Not sure I trust myself to do that. Composite works fine though...

Disassembling the console itself seems relatively easy though.

I just restored a backup from earlier this year after I went through and updated everything (using bootmii) and the SD card woes are put to rest (for now). All channels are displaying and launching correctly from multiple SD cards with the same exact data. So I don't think my cards are bad, or even that the data on the cards is corrupt. Still doesn't answer why my Wii only launched earlier after I ejected the SD. That has be scratching my head.

My component out is still acting wonky and it's still takes a minute for the picture to stabilize, just like before my backup restore, so I think there's some sort of hardware issue? I've read elsewhere that it could be the caps because the metal expands once they are warm and ends up making a more solid connection. But maybe it is the output jack or power supply as you said.

Might just need to try new conponent cables, but I would think if they're problematic it would be a persistent issue no matter how long the console is on, rather than fixing itself after a few minutes. I tried on another TV too and it's the same thing, so my TV is fine.

Thanks for your input. Definitely is useful to have others give their opinions and ideas to tackle these issues.

I'll update this thread if I learn anything new.

Last edited by clandestine,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Still doesn't answer why my Wii only launched earlier after I ejected the SD. That has be scratching my head
It got moved. Oxidization does happen. Just look closer at the pins & see how dark they got & where they actually make contact.
Might just need to try new conponent cables
A good possibility, or like said before ... Wii2HDMI adapter. They are cheap, but seem to work good on newer TVs.

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any Wii fit/plus game?

f so and you have a balance board, unsynchronize it from your console. I had this problem for a long time and the solution was to unsync the balance board.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Funny how younger people have the time & vigor to use eg. Wii balance board.
The older ones are content using a WiiMote, sitting on a comfy sofa. ;)

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that this is for helping but send me a picture of the screen that says the system is corrupted.
For the other tempers -- Maybe it doesn't say the system files are corrupted?
I'll take a screen shot if it happens again. I've since restored a nand backup and it's all good again. Thanks for trying to help though.

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after a few months I am getting the same bullshit garbled text, even if I restore an older version of the nand. It works for a bit.. then more issues will always appear down the road. I think the hardware must be dying inside as this isn't the only problems I've been having. VC/Wiiware wads have been giving me issues for a while and periodically showing up as gray question marks that won't launch from on my SD card, (yes, even with patched ios80 and region free everything enabled in priiloader). I've also been having issues outputting component out to my TV until it "warms up".

I can get to the HBC and launch emulators and GCN games, but Wii games crash upon loading them. I'm trying to restore it one last time to grab my saves and miis so I can move them to either a different Wii or to the Wii U my brother gave me. Haven't decided which path I want to go just yet. I worry I'll just run into the same issues with a "new" used Wii since they're all starting to show their age by this point.

Launch day system and all, it's given me a ton of playtime. I've heard the older ones have heating issues. But I've also probably played more gaming hours on this console than any other. Can't say I'm not a little sad to see it die. I've done pretty much everything I've possibly could to keep it up and running, but it seems to be a losing battle at this time.

What makes it especially sad is that this was the last console me and my little brother waited in line for to buy at a midnight release. And my little brother is no longer with us. Perhaps he and the Wii are reunited again in the great beyond.

PXL_20240324_004037782.jpg

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may be right about it being a hardware issue, fundamentally. But assuming that's the case, it's strange that restoring nand backups will alter performance.

Have you considered rehacking your Wii? If it is a software issue that worsens over time, a fresh hack could fix it. After you perform your backups, of course. FWIW Modmii doesn't overwrite user data like Miis, it's really just the IOSes.

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may be right about it being a hardware issue, fundamentally. But assuming that's the case, it's strange that restoring nand backups will alter performance.

Have you considered rehacking your Wii? If it is a software issue that worsens over time, a fresh hack could fix it. After you perform your backups, of course. FWIW Modmii doesn't overwrite user data like Miis, it's really just the IOSes.

I've tried running dx2 again, updating all my software on my HDs, etc. Do you suggest I do anything differently? Like restore my Wii to factory settings through the systen menu first?

I was just able yo back up all my savedata and miis using save game manager gx so that's not really an issue.

Does a factory reset get rid of bootmii and priiloader in addition to restoring stock ioses

Thanks for your reply. 🙂

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have experience with factory reset, but I expect it's both overkill and ineffective for what you're describing. The odds of a 15 year old backup of the operating system (working) fixing your problem seem remote, and it almost certainly gets rid of (ios) bootmii and priiloader.

d2x I think is definitely insufficient for your problem. It adds an IOS, in an unused IOS slot, that Wii homebrew uses to run unsigned code. The problems you're running into are launching from the system menu, which is not using that d2x IOS (~249).

I don't know if Modmii replaces the actual system menu IOS when used to hack a Wii using default settings, but Modmii does replace the system menu IOS when used to do a system update.

I recommend poking around Modmii and see if it can 'reinstall' the core system menu IOS and give that a shot.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Resetting to factory won't touch ios's, priiloader or bootmii. It will just remove gamesaves, mii's, channels, console name, wifi settings and things like that. It's unlikely to solve your issue unless it has something to do with a problematic channel

D2x certainly isn't the culprit. Modmii' s system menu ios too has been heavily tested and I don't think it's the cause of these issues

Reinstalling system files could resolve the issue if it's software related, but it doesn't sound like it is. On the off chance it is, u can try modmii's region change wizard to "change" to your current system menu version

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto