First GBA without backlight - WHY?

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
At that time it was a great innovation. But notice what a small screen compared to the console. In addition, it weighed a lot. It was an abomination. 🤣
Yes, but it was over 10 years before the GBA. I'm sure it was possible at that point to make that more practically.

BTW: I have commented on your translations on your blog and you have not answered.

Last edited by Creamu,
Reactions: Nikokaro

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Backlight or not isn't the problem. The LCD is just trash. That's the whole reason why games had oversaturated or too bright assets.
I did not know that. Thanks for the information. So it would have been possible to do that without overexposure for sure?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
However, those early GBA titles that you so despise were not so bad. Breath of Fire series, Final Fantasy Series, Doom 1/2, I prefer them in this version with brighter and more vivid colors than the darker and more somber ones of the SNES. Personal opinion and not disputable...😡....😋....🤣

Reactions: Creamu

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but it was 10 years before the GBA. I'm sure it was possible at that point to make that more practically.

BTW: I have commented on your translations on your blog and you have not answered.

The Pocket Colour TV I referenced was still relatively thicker than the GBA despite using a similar approach to the GG.

If they did really want to put a backlight on the GBA, I doubt they would go down this route.

Yes. Also backlit I believe.
Also used a florescent bulb and required 6 batteries like the GG:
h3fOZhXJR4ZSgAlT.medium

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Atari+Lynx+Backlight+Replacement/22576

Both the GG and Lynx had a fraction of the GB/GBA's battery life (GG 3-5, Lynx 1 4-5, Lynx II 5-6, GB 15 hours, GBA 15 hours), but I don't know definitively how much of this can be attributed just to the backlight, although I've seen the CCFL bulb often cited as a large contributor.

To be clear, I'm only discussing the comparison to the GG/Atari Lynx being flawed, as for Nintendo not including a light, I still think that cost, design and battery life were the main factors, even if alternative technology was available e.g. the screens on Pocket PCs at the time, which also cost allot more e.g. the $499 Compaq iPaq vs the GBA's $99.99.

Reactions: Creamu and Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have commented on your translations on your blog and you have not answered.
@Creamu I humbly apologize. I didn't notice! Push Notifications don't work in blogs, so I couldn't have known. Thank you for your interest. I will look into them tomorrow. :):wink:

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
However, those early GBA titles that you so despise were not so bad. Breath of Fire series, Final Fantasy Series, Doom 1/2, I prefer them in this version with brighter and more vivid colors than the darker and more somber ones of the SNES. Personal opinion and not disputable...😡....😋....🤣
If you like those try Iridion 2, Motoracer Advance, openlara GBA
The Pocket Colour TV I referenced was still relatively thicker than the GBA despite using a similar approach to the GG.

If they did really want to put a backlight on the GBA, I doubt they would go down this route.
I see, whatever they could have done to avoid the overexposure route would have been the right approach. Also adding two more facebuttons.
Also used a florescent bulb and required 6 batteries like the GG:
h3fOZhXJR4ZSgAlT.medium

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Atari+Lynx+Backlight+Replacement/22576

Both the GG and Lynx had a fraction of the GB/GBA's battery life (GG 3-5, Lynx 1 4-5, Lynx II 5-6, GB 15 hours, GBA 15 hours), but I don't know definitively how much of this can be attributed just to the backlight, although I've seen the CCFL bulb often cited as a large contributor.
Okay. But it is important to add that ther is more than 10 year of technical progess inbetween them.
To be clear, I'm only discussing the comparison to the GG/Atari Lynx being flawed, as for Nintendo not including a light, I still think that cost, design and battery life were the main factors, even if alternative technology was available e.g. the screens on Pocket PCs at the time, which also cost allot more e.g. the $499 Compaq iPaq vs the GBA's $99.99.
I see your point. I just can get over the fact that they settled for overexposing games.
I'm sure it would look fine with a better LCD. To get an idea of what i mean with trash try the GBA color shader in mGBA and compare. You will see how bad it is.
I might check that out. thx
@Creamu I humbly apologize. I didn't notice! Push Notifications don't work in blogs, so I couldn't have known. Thank you for your interest. I will look into them tomorrow. :):wink:
okay

Reactions: Tarmfot

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I specifically recall Castlevania Circle of the Moon being a real bitch to play without being positioned perfectly beneath a lamp.

I eventually got one of these ridiculous things which actually did allow you to play in low/no light for the most part.

41fMUmxsCsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay. But it is important to add that ther is more than 10 year of technical progess inbetween them.

I'm not sure if you mean '10 years have passed I'm sure this specific method would have improved' or '10 years have passed I'm sure a new technology would have come along to provide a backlight'.

The former I think is a flawed argument, because the issue is whether the approach itself is fundamentally flawed e.g. there will always be a high power draw and increased space required.

The latter is more understandable, since there were different approaches/variations available to provide a light (not necessarily a backlight) around this time, I myself have given a couple, but again cost, design and battery life come into play. I've read that the 2001 'afterburner' mod which gave the GBA a front light, reduced the battery by 25-30%.

This is HORRIBILE!

Would you prefer this?:
s-l400.jpg

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I'm not sure if you mean '10 years have passed I'm sure this specific method would have improved' or '10 years have passed I'm sure a new technology would have come along to provide a backlight'.

The former I think is a flawed argument, because the issue is whether the approach itself is fundamentally flawed e.g. there will always be a high power draw and increased space required.

The latter is more understandable, since there were different approaches/variations available to provide a light (not necessarily a backlight) around this time, I myself have given a couple, but again cost, design and battery life come into play. I've read that the 2001 'afterburner' mod which gave the GBA a front light, reduced the battery by 25-30%.
Nintendo was able to engineer the virtual boy but couldn't make a portable console in 2001 that does not resort to overexposing the graphics.
Would you prefer this?:
s-l400.jpg
No but I would prefer this:
Adjustable-zoomable-head-lamp-torch-head-light-8.jpg

Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-granite-ridge-zen-5-desktop-cp...