First GBA without backlight - WHY?

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
It was a daring design, no one has seen before and since. It surely needed quite a bit of brainpower to make that thing work.
Daring yes but actually not very technologically advanced even for the time. That form of 3D had been around for decades, it was bulky, caused headaches and everything looked red.

Reactions: Creamu

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've got a GBA SP screen in my GBA, thanks to a modder friend, I could never go back, or even use the GBA SP again without getting cramps, and quite literally since it was also broken anyway so I salvaged the parts lol).

The bulkier GBA shape and the better screen made it the best of both worlds, thankfully.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cuz it's Nintendo with cutting-edge tech for the time (unless they wanted to go with the dated god-awful displays of the likes of the Game Gear, which I think we can all agree would not have been desirable especially for that time). It would have been costly when the GBA launched with a solid backlight (and realistically based on the original model of the SP, they would have opted for a frontlight to begin with regardless). They wanted an affordable device, and the GBA launched with no true real competition so that Nintendo could continue to dominate the handheld market. From a consumer point of view, it's always easy to say "well why didn't they do this?" But when you approach it from the business point of view, it tends to make sense.

Anyway, it's so easy and cheap to mod in a backlight to an OG GBA now, that anyone wanting to play classic GBA games on the original model in the modern age, has genuine options to satisfy.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They made the right move. The GBA sold like hotcakes. If they had to increase the cost to include a backlight, it wouldn't compare as favorably to the competition.
Remember that they were considered by many to be toys still, and thus, parents weren't willing to pay several hundred dollars for one.
Nintendo had to cut corners to keep costs down to reach broad market appeal.

They were doing cost cutting ever since the original Game Boy. Using a color screen was actually on the table, but in the end that idea was scrapped in order to cut costs because the color screen was expensive and they believed a cheaper product would appeal more. They were right.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyway, it's so easy and cheap to mod in a backlight to an OG GBA now, that anyone wanting to play classic GBA games on the original model in the modern age, has genuine options to satisfy.
Is it really? I would have thought the appropriate widgets would have been discontinued by now. I have an old original GBA; I might consider modding it.

The much bigger problem is that the power switch is dirty and that I'll have to open it up and clean it out at some point. I had to do the same to my AGS-101. You want to talk about mind-boggling design issues? Start there! How bloody difficult should it be to make a power switch that won't corrode into non-functionality after a few years!? It ought to be a matter of pennies, I'd reckon.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it really? I would have thought the appropriate widgets would have been discontinued by now. I have an old original GBA; I might consider modding it.

The much bigger problem is that the power switch is dirty and that I'll have to open it up and clean it out at some point. I had to do the same to my AGS-101. You want to talk about mind-boggling design issues? Start there! How bloody difficult should it be to make a power switch that won't corrode into non-functionality after a few years!? It ought to be a matter of pennies, I'd reckon.
Did mine maybe a year and a half ago, was very easy, and I couldn't be happier:

20220531_011912.jpg

I did a few extra mods, too: gave it a louder speaker, new shell and buttons (shell glows in the dark), glass lens with larger view area to make up for slightly larger IPS screen, rechargeable USB-C lithium-ion battery, optional wireless qi charging added as well, custom little 3D printed purple ring around speaker inside GBA, and custom little 3d printed purple frame around inside of lens. Oh an old fold over screen protector accessory completes the unit to still give it that SP style of protection when not in use.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The IPS screen kits are actually a recent invention. Before that, you had kits to mod a GBA SP screen into the GBA, which is still possible, but the IPS screens are better. They are still making new and improved versions of the IPS kits. Game Boy modding is a big market right now, mostly the original DMG but also the Color and Advance.
I think the IPS kits can be installed without any soldering. You also have lipo battery kits with USB-C charging, for the ultimate GBA.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The power switches are starting to fail because there is carbon building up from power cycles. You won't see it but there are arcs inside the switch every time you power it on and off. IPS kits and other mods accelerate this wear even more. The only way to fix it is an electric switch like a mosfet. If i remember right the DS was the first to use a mosfet + switch and that has been holding up fine as expected.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did mine maybe a year and a half ago, was very easy, and I couldn't be happier:
No doubt, but where did you get your parts from, and how much did you spend on them?

The power switches are starting to fail because there is carbon building up from power cycles. You won't see it but there are arcs inside the switch every time you power it on and off. IPS kits and other mods accelerate this wear even more.
Do you have a source on that? I suppose it's conceivable, but it seems unlikely given the size of the component and the voltages involved. Besides, it doesn't seem to have been nearly as prominent an issue with the original GB models and the GBC. And why should mods accelerate things to an appreciable degree?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No doubt, but where did you get your parts from, and how much did you spend on them?
Probably FunnyPlaying or RetroGameRepair (been awhile can't recall off-hand), it's the IPS v2 screen, which costs only like $45. And adding the USB charging component is like another $20. And that's really all you need to make it a great modern handheld, about $65-$70, but you can go on to further mod if you like, but no mod is outrageously priced at all.

Also you can get better products that will cost more money of course. When I did mine, the IPS v2 screen was the top of the line, and it still pretty much is, but now they make laminated displays so that there's no chance of any dust falling between the lens and screen (not that I have any, but a screen pressed directly against the lens will always be a better display). And there are even extra mods you can do that give the GBA AV out, and now even HDMI out. People have added bluetooth audio, made the L and R buttons more clickier for better feedback, changed the power LED color, and put LEDs in the GBA itself which can look great for systems that have a solid colored shell but with translucent buttons (mine being all translucent would not make it an ideal fit for that kind of mod). And I'm sure there are other clever mods I've omitted to mention here.

I suppose the point is, while Nintendo didn't ship out the GBA of our collective dreams, and were never going to, we now live in an age where we can pretty easily and affordably turn our old GBAs into our personal ideal versions we always wanted them to be.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Probably FunnyPlaying or RetroGameRepair (been awhile can't recall off-hand), it's the IPS v2 screen, which costs only like $45. And adding the USB charging component is like another $10. And that's really all you need to make it a great modern handheld, about $55-$60, but you can go on to further mod if you like, but no mod is outrageously priced at all.

Also you can get better products that will cost more money of course. When I did mine, the IPS v2 screen was the top of the line, and it still pretty much is, but now they make laminated displays so that there's no chance of any dust falling between the lens and screen (not that I have any, but a screen pressed directly against the lens will always be a better display). And there are even extra mods you can do that give the GBA AV out, and now even HDMI out. People have added bluetooth audio, made the L and R buttons more clickier for better feedback, changed the power LED color, and put LEDs in the GBA itself which can look great for systems that have a solid colored shell but with translucent buttons (mine being all translucent would not make it an ideal fit for that kind of mod). And I'm sure there are other clever mods I've omitted to mention here.

I suppose the point is, while Nintendo didn't ship out the GBA of our collective dreams, and were never going to, we now live in an age where we can pretty easily and affordably turn our old GBAs into our personal ideal versions we always wanted them to be.
Did the USB charging require soldering?

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope. Adding a wireless Qi charger did, but that was a real easy solder job. I mean I'm a novice at best with soldering and I didn't have any issues for that, but just USB charging doesn't even require soldering.
Nice. I have an old GBA sat around gathering dust somewhere. I think I might look into replacing the screen and adding the USB charging at some point. I don't know if that would actually make be end up using it to play games but it'd be nice to have. Atm I use my phone with a controller and phone clip to play GBA and they look really good on a small OLED screen.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have a source on that? I suppose it's conceivable, but it seems unlikely given the size of the component and the voltages involved. Besides, it doesn't seem to have been nearly as prominent an issue with the original GB models and the GBC. And why should mods accelerate things to an appreciable degree?
Consider that the metal springs inside the switch are touching the contacts on the bottom. Every time you move the slider the springs are making bad contact but the gaps due to surface roughtness are so small that arcing can still occur at this voltage. The black gunk in dirty switches is a mix of whatever made it into the shell and carbon buildup.

You can also hear the arcing for dirty switches if you move the slider slowly. The speaker makes noises as you move the slider.

JDRS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There simply was no such technology at that time.
It was still an improvement over game boy color.
The next model then (ags-001) had a front-light, not a back-light, little better than its predecessor, with watered-down, dull and hazy colors, and annoying light reflections. Ags-101 is undoubtedly the best, with bright and vivid colors: but its life was short-lived, as it was soon supplanted by the DS Phat (and then DS lite), which as you know also reads GBA cartridges.
Yes there was. The Sega Game Gear, Sega Genesis Nomad, and the NEC TurboExpress all had backlights, and thus, those systems were older, from the 90s. Nintendo should've been on the ball by 2001. I mean, C'mon man!!!! Nintendo's 1st Gen. Game Boy Advance had a much superior color display compared to those of Sega and NEC, which were absolutely terrible, and not sharp. All the 1st Gen, GBA needed was a backlight, and they would've killed the handheld gaming market . The 1st Gen GBA would've been known as the GBA Phat, and the GBA SP would've been known as the GBA Super Slim.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes there was. The Sega Game Gear, Sega Genesis Nomad, and the NEC TurboExpress all had backlights, and thus, those systems were older, from the 90s. Nintendo should've been on the ball by 2001. I mean, C'mon man!!!! Nintendo's 1st Gen. Game Boy Advance had a much superior color display compared to those of Sega and NEC, which were absolutely terrible, and not sharp. All the 1st Gen, GBA needed was a backlight, and they would've killed the handheld gaming market . The 1st Gen GBA would've been known as the GBA Phat, and the GBA SP would've been known as the GBA Super Slim.
Sure, sure. I noticed that this is your first post! Welcome among us. Don't tell me you registered just to quote yours truly. 🤣
If so, you are off to a great start! You showed up by attacking a bigwig; good strategy! 😉

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the first GBA had no backlight. This was a terrible decision, because it forced developers to make the artwork overly exposed. Why did they do this? Only to save money? You would think if they saved money on removing two facebuttons, they could include a backlit screen. Was it the right move?

Please share your thoughts?
Likely just an extra cost measure to keep the console price low and save heavily on battery life. You would be shocked how much backlights burn through battery life. Even when we did get one on the first GBA SP it wasnt good. The second model of the SP however was much better.
1711739997666.jpeg

Post automatically merged:

Overall the main reason was battery life. The thing would die extremely quickly.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah and they drained like 6 batteries in a few hours.

Last edited by Ryab,
Reactions: Kwyjor

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two reason - cost and battery life.

NIntendo want to sell GBA for $99.99 in 2001 so they had to exclude backlit.

By 2003, it was possible to have backlit and rechargeable lithium-ion built-in, however Nintendo went with frontlit for mysterious or weird reason, so backlit version of GBA didn't come out until after Nintendo DS came out.

I had to use lamp attach and it wasn't pleasant experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...