Hacking ncWBFSTool

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, 243 games extracted (to .wbi) from my WBFS drive to an NTFS partition perfectly...after many hours
smile.gif
Great job! Next to add them to another WBFS drive.

I would like to second the request for the app to download covers. Actually, it would also be nice for it to inject .png for uLoader (like WBFS Intelligent GUI provides).

Also, would it be possible to add a tool to the manager to scrub/compress ISOs on the PC drive? FOr example, if I were to download a scene ISO and I want to scrub and compress to .wbi *before* adding it to my WBFS drive? The way I have pretty much been handling it now is to simply send the iso to the wbfs drive, then backtrack and extract it from the drive back to my ntfs partition to store a backup. Basically something like the PSP's "YACC" incorporated into the app would be very cool.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
twig123 said:
What about support for RAR and ZIP files (I didn't see any mention in the Readme file)?
Who is zipping or raring their backups tho? These are just too big for that, and I really don't think you'll get the maximum compression you would out of wbi/ciso anyway.

Well, I have my backups in password protected rar's with recovery records...
This was from when the USB Loaders first started coming out, and scrubbing and then zip/rar was the only way to compress the size of the image (before wbi/cios was an option). I don't have a large enough WBFS drive to be able to transfer all of my images and then re-rip them in wbi/cios format, so I was hoping this feature would be reconsidered (I can't be the only one that has zip/rar files of backups...) as it would be useful once I actually upgrade to a larger WBFS drive.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
i this is up top with the best WBFS managers if no the best, ive used it to tranfer over 30 .iso's off my drive and ive checked them all with wiiscrubber and the partition/s are still intact and working once burnt to dvd

excellent app cant wait for the update

Neversoft

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm really liking the look of this program. The addition of ripping from DVDRom is a key feature for me. As a few other people have said, many people have collections on disk and it's much quicker and easier to rip those to WBFS on the PC than download it again or use the Wii to rip it.

Fantastic app, thanks
grog.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn straight this is an awesome app
smile.gif

I did find a slight bug however...but it is related to the naming. If two games that reside on the WBFS partition are named the same, when you select to extract them both the first one will write to the drive and when completed the second one will OVERWRITE the previous one. It does not matter that the Game IDs are different, because it is simply using the gamename from the WBFS partition for the extracted file.

I only noticed this because when I extracted the 243 games I have on there, only 242 resided on my drive (I could have sworn all 243 were there...but I was mistaken). When I checked back I found this. I have MLB Power Pros and MLB Power Pros 2008 on the drive, but the internal name on both of these games was simply "MLB Power Pros".

This could be totally repaired of course if an option were added to the app to add game ID to the filename of extracted files or perhaps a warning that one extracted game is about to overwrite another.

Not a big deal and the chances of anybody running into this is extremely slim (as the internal name of two seperate games would have to be the *same*) but it can happen. Just a heads up
wink.gif

Edit: Actually, when I think about it, it would be very likely for someone that wanted to retain a PAL release alongside an NTSC release and the internal names were the same.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops...found an even LARGER bug:

Getting unhandled exception error simply when clicking the "add games" button. I tried the mini-deployed version and it did allow me to access the dialog for adding backups, but when selecting the folder with 243 games, it freezes for a efw seconds and then again unhandled exception.

nubecoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
Quick post, no quoting...

@zektor

Problem 1 - duplicate game titles:
I did a quick fix for that by adding the GameID to the extraction filename.
I'll add extraction naming options soon in the future, this is just a quick temporary fix.

Problem 2 - unhandled exception when attempting to estimate a file. (my QC tester brought this to my attention today as well):
I added a try / catch statement to the code so it will pop a msg box naming the offending file and report the exception message.
This will at least allow identification of the offending file(s), and a nice side effect is the offending file(s) are skipped and the list of "valid" files are still populated into the game list.
I'm not sure why this is happening, but I'll do my best to get it fixed.
There is a chance I will request the offending file(s) from you so I can see exactly what is happening. (Maybe just the smallest one you have a problem with.
wink.gif
)
As a side note, the reason this exception occurred for my QC tester, was because the offending ISO file was corrupted (WiiScrubber showed it was missing a decent chunk of the partition).
It also should be noted this corrupted file was extracted with WBFS Manager 3.0, but we are unsure why it was corrupted at the moment.
Unfortunately he wont be able to test more until tomorrow, since it was a friend's HD the game originated from.

Your problem is slightly different in the fact that you are using my tool (to extract) and extracting to wbi (aka ciso).

I'll post a new testBuild in a few minutes for you to use.

--------------------------------
@Everyone

A couple extra notes:

When the games are populated into the Add Games window's game list, files with the same GameID will be skipped.
That means that if you have extracted a game to ISO format, and then extracted a game to WBI format, the program will only show the first one it encountered in the list.
While this is "acceptable" for the moment, I see it bringing problems in the future when, for instance, one to one adding / extracting is implemented.
I thought I should bring it up before someone else does.

My QC tester Simply Bob, has been nice enough to offer a section of his forums to me as an official support forum for my software.
Once I get things set up, it'll be a nice easy way to have feature requests, bug reports, polls, etc.

(lol, this was a "quick post" from me.)

=]

Edit
New test build with the above mentioned features.

nubecoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick update.

Changes since testBuild5:
  • Implemented a FilterMode for the add games window (filter by CISO, ISO, or WBI). (usability fix)
  • Implemented Drag and Drop to the Add Games button on the main form. (feature request)
  • Implemented Backup Image Title and ID changing (CISO, ISO, and WBI supported). (added feature)
Still to come (probably in this order):
  • Change Game Title on WBFS Drive. (need to implement into GUI and test)
  • Change Game ID on WBFS Drive. (need to implement into GUI and test)
  • Add game list exporting, from wbfs drive or local game folder.
  • Add support for titles.txt game name displaying.
  • Add "expanded view" (game list in main window).
  • More...
Backup Image Game Title and Game ID changing thanks to nIxx (I modified his code to also support CISO / WBI).

I haven't tested the new features much, so I wont be posting the new build just yet.

Also, still waiting for some feedback on the Unhandled exception zektor was having.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested and all seems good now. I once again navigated to the folder of games with the new test build, and they all displayed in the add dialog as far as I can see. I didn't get any error on an invalid file however. Whatever it was, looks like you squashed that bug
smile.gif
Initially I was getting that error without even getting to the point in which I selected the folder of games (just clicking on the button for extract gave me the error)

nubecoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
Tested and all seems good now. I once again navigated to the folder of games with the new test build, and they all displayed in the add dialog as far as I can see. I didn't get any error on an invalid file however. Whatever it was, looks like you squashed that bug
smile.gif
Initially I was getting that error without even getting to the point in which I selected the folder of games (just clicking on the button for extract gave me the error)
That's good news I guess?
wacko.gif

The problem I have is that I didn't change anything except handling the exception.

It still should have given an error, but instead of crashing, it should have popped up a msg box with some info about the error. Grrr.. That is going to bug me..

Oh well, if it ever happens again, it will at least tell you (me) which file it caused the error.

Anyways, I have some more stuff to do before the next release, but it should be sometime later today.

=]

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did do one thing differently. My drive had the uLoader CFG file on it, and when I extracted all of my games, the cfg also had extracted to a .wbi. I deleted that config from my extracted backup folder last night after testing your app and having it crash when reading the folder. Perhaps it crashed reading that file? I wish I hadn't deleted it now. Maybe later when I get home tonight I can try to re-extract just the uloader config and add it to the folder of games and try again.

On another note, maybe the uloader cfg should be hidden by the manager. BUT, it is also good to be able to see it in case someone would like to remove it. Maybe a toggle switch to hide/unhide the config?

nubecoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the extra info, and I can guarantee that is what caused your problem.
(The prog was trying to estimate the config as a game, and ended up crashing.)

"when I extracted all of my games, the cfg also had extracted to a .wbi"
I'll have to play around with that, I've never tried uLoader, but I have hermes' source so I should be able to figure it out.

Guess I might as well add support for his cfg and png code stuff.. (more stuff to do...)

But thanks a ton for this info, otherwise it woulda been nagging me in the back of my mind forever!
smile.gif

=]

kalhua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried this program on Vista and have found it to be very good so far. When I tried it on Windows 7 64 bit it doesn't work. The drives do not show up like they do in Vista. I don't know if you are concerned about it or not but if you need me to test a fix I would be happy to, until then I will stick to the PC with Vista
frown.gif

Thanks

nubecoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
kalhua said:
I have tried this program on Vista and have found it to be very good so far. When I tried it on Windows 7 64 bit it doesn't work. The drives do not show up like they do in Vista. I don't know if you are concerned about it or not but if you need me to test a fix I would be happy to, until then I will stick to the PC with Vista
frown.gif

Thanks
Could you help me by telling me if you are using one of the test builds or the original 1.0 release?

The original 1.0 release was confirmed working on Win7 x64 by my QC tester Simply Bob. He leaves UAC enabled and has confirmed that it does request admin privileges.

Actually the only problem he ever had that was Win7 related was drives not showing up, but running as admin (and now the auto admin privilege request) has fixed that.

Also, could you let me know which version of Vista it was that you did not have the problem with (x86 or x64).

Thank you.

=]

kalhua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vista is x86

I tried both version with Win 7 x64 and also had it set to run as administrator although it was already asking at launch.

It would start up ok but didn't see a drive or drives

nubecoder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
kalhua said:
Vista is x86

I tried both version with Win 7 x64 and also had it set to run as administrator although it was already asking at launch.

It would start up ok but didn't see a drive or drives
Thanks for the info. So to confirm, neither the format area nor the select drive area showed anything for you to select.
Seems like a rather major bug.
frown.gif

I find it strange that some people are having issues with partitions being detected (even with the newest testBuld5), while others are not.
All I can say at this moment is, I'll do my best to figure this all out.

I kinda got side-tracked trying to figure out how to get DVDROM reading working, so I haven't got around to adding the debugging code that seems to be needed.
But, with the help of a good friend, I made a breakthrough that will surely lead to having DVD -> WBFS support.
My lack of C/C++ experience is really showing through here.
frown.gif

Bear with me here, as I try to get this all sorted.

=]

kalhua

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it again when I started my computer and it seems to be working! I will do some testing and report back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    for $200? rofl.
    well as far as metroid prime 4 is concerned, the next system probably is similar enough to the current gen they can probably easily just slap it onto a next gen cart and call it good :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The switch was about 350 in 2017
  • Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0:
    mabe where you live
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will launch globally on March 3, 2017 for $299.99—earlier than some had expected at the price many suspected. https://time.com/4632820/nintendo-switch-nx/
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES launched at like 250 and the rob and light gun kit was like 350 or something
    I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory
    next system rumored to launch at $400
    but I don't really believe any rumors yet
    need to have official info from N
    The 3DO and Neo Geo where like 700 bucks hmm the PS3 was stupid expensive at launch lol
    But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch
    My opinion is that 199.99 is the sweet spot but that spot is long gone lol
    Just played some Micheal Jackson Moonwalker.... Those poor parents trying desperately to protect their children
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    400 is a decent sweet spot if we get enough out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how it was when we were locked down to a few options and that's it
    For me just buying a Pi and some accessories fills that not a PC void new consoles have just put them close to PC prices and all the patching and updates makes me feel like I might as well just get a PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Were talking new Gen consoles at launch here
    Yeah they just are glorified mid range PCs these days
    The age of home consoles has passed, they got assimilated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still serve a purpose for people that don't want to dive deep into it and just buy something that works
    I think the PS3 was the last console that was custom and felt at least slightly home console to me, although the constant updates pissed me off to no end.... "I got a day off from work let's play some games..." Well maybe after the hour long firmware update.... Shit the game needs an hour long update too??
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsofts giving us options the other two should've followed with tbh not everyone is going to give a damn about 4k 120fps
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Microsofts giving us options the other two should've followed with tbh not everyone is going to...