Status
Not open for further replies.

minos55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
yeah i know, i use verbatims and have a plextor 800a but i am geting myself a new one on sata but don't know which one i should get, so that i could test the discs so i find the best posssible burn speed for my backups.

somebody told me that i should get LiteOn LH-20A1L Retail for testing what do you all think about this one or is there any better ones for scaning on sata?

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
Yummy!

Pioneer DVR-110D + 1.41 firmware + Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (TYG02) + 4x burn speed = Quality Rating 98.55%

(PI Peak: 53, PIF Peak 3)

hendu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of good information, some not so good. I would just go over to cdfreaks.com and pour over all the information there. I've increased the quality of my burns many times over since I did research on that site. A few things I've learned though that might help people:
-A good drive makes a big difference, the plextor, and the pioneer on cdfreaks are great, but not everyone wants to pay 3 times the amount for a drive (I don't)
-If you have a mediocre drive you can still make excellent burns just takes a little more trial and error.
-Get the latest firmware for your drive, or cross flash to a recommended FW. (cdfeaks has a thread for every drive you can think of)
-Don't run any other programs or surf the web while your disc is burning, try not to cause too much vibration around your computer while it is burning (don't bang it with your knee
tongue.gif
).
-Get a stack of decent media and start burning a test image (try and make it an image that fills the disc, a wii game is good) at all speeds, and then check them with cdspeed or a similar program. Compare the results.
-Buy some different a few types of media (crap quality, medium, and high quality) and do the same thing. You will probably notice that your drive tends to burn better at certain speeds, and certain media tends to like being burned at certain speeds. You will probably find a sweet spot with a certain brand of media that likes being burned at the same speed your drive likes being burned at.

It takes a long time, but you will save yourself the frustration of DRE's in the future.

Or you could just buy a $75 plextor drive and burn anything at any speed, ok that might be a little exaggerated, but not much, from the graphs I've seen my best burns are at best average for most people with that drive.

My 2 cents
biggrin.gif

tpformbh

Trophies
XP
Country
I've found 4x the best

I bought two packs of Verbatim +R in the new packaging as they'd always been excellent, had a few quality ratings of 40% but that seemed to be more with the file (Mario Galaxy) than the media, tried reburning it three times and got the same result whereas the next image got much higher.

But the new ones are rubbish, not one of the new +r has worked on the wii. Swapped them for -R and they're much better, but nowhere near as good as the old +rs. Found a few of the old +Rs, so thought i'd do a test: (i've accidentally deleted the dvd info pro scans for the new disks but here's the gist)

Piodata 108 (sets the booktype to ROM automatically) on Starfox Assault NTSC
Old +r at 4x: 99.14%, PI avg 6, PIF total 8, with a peak of 6 - works fine

old -r at 4x: 97.89%, PI avg 6, Pif total 103, Peak 6, avg 0 - works fine

new -r at 4x: forgotten the result but it was nowhere near as good as the old disks
new -r at 8x: wii loads the disk then throws up a DRE once it's booted.

new +r at 4x: around 88%, less than 20 PI avg, and 0 average PIF, but the wii resets itself
new +r at 8x: around 30%, full of errors on both accounts, wii resets itself

Interestingly, both the new +r disks reported no CRC errors in DVDinfopro but neither worked in the wii

I'm not too convinced that speed is everything, nor can you read too much into PI/PO when some seemingly perfect disks won't even read. I've found if i rip my own games I get results much higher into the 90s, whereas downloads produced anomolies like the Mario result that still played fine.

Whatever the case, Verbatim's quality has dropped, won't be buying the plastic shrinkwrapped ones again. I've previously found better results with +r but it looks like the new disks have forced me into using -r.

I'm not going to claim my results are conclusive, especially as i've deleted the data and destroyed the disks so can't scan them in again, but after burning many other disks i've found no advantage with burning at a higher speed.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Reading your result, I think your drive PI/PO detection isn't accurate because of the quality you have for your old +r -r. Anyway all results are relative so it's not really a problem.

And as told many times in this thread, there isn't a fixed rule how to burn your media. Some works better at lower speed, other works better at higher speed.
wink.gif

tpformbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Shuny said:
Reading your result, I think your drive PI/PO detection isn't accurate because of the quality you have for your old +r -r. Anyway all results are relative so it's not really a problem.

And as told many times in this thread, there isn't a fixed rule how to burn your media. Some works better at lower speed, other works better at higher speed.
wink.gif

I'd disagree, I think it is accurate as it produces consistent results. The Mario result seems to be an anomaly but as I've stated I get consistently high results if i rip games using my own LG drive. The new media has been nothing but trouble, like I say going back to the old one has returned the same good quality burns. Generally I get between 80 and 95% disk quality burning at 4x.

but like you say it's definitely an experimental science, i'm just posting my results
smile.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hendu said:
-Don't run any other programs or surf the web while your disc is burning, try not to cause too much vibration around your computer while it is burning (don't bang it with your knee
tongue.gif
).

ha tell me about it, when i have friends over they tend to knock about the pc and stuff and i have to shout at them not to touch it while it's burning it.

also it's key to keep the disc drive clean as if you have dust in there it effects the burn and leaves blotches on the finished burned disc, trust me i've been there.

homesickalien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another thing unmentioned here is to never put paper labels on your backups. I had obtained 12 backups that all had paper labels and 10 of them would not read in my Wii. Initially I thought they were all bad burns, but after carefully peeling all the labels off the discs they all worked fine. Some of you might not have this issue, but in my experience nothing beats a felt tipped sharpie to label all yer games. I'm using a D2B wii with a wiikey.

minos55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
ok, now this is silly, i put 1 game in that i burned the last time i didn't have the new drive into it and got almost no pi/po, now i burned the same game on the same settings and i got a hilarius ammount of pi/po what could be the problem Both time's it was burned in a px-800a

Shuny

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
minos55 said:
ok, now this is silly, i put 1 game in that i burned the last time i didn't have the new drive into it and got almost no pi/po, now i burned the same game on the same settings and i got a hilarius ammount of pi/po what could be the problem Both time's it was burned in a px-800a
If your computer is too "busy" it could result in very huge ammount of PI/PO errors. Close every software and retry
wink.gif

Posts merged

QUOTE(homesickalien @ May 5 2008, 06:43 PM) Another thing unmentioned here is to never put paper labels on your backups. I had obtained 12 backups that all had paper labels and 10 of them would not read in my Wii. Initially I thought they were all bad burns, but after carefully peeling all the labels off the discs they all worked fine. Some of you might not have this issue, but in my experience nothing beats a felt tipped sharpie to label all yer games. I'm using a D2B wii with a wiikey.
Added to "media" part
wink.gif

ihatexams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why cant my computer drive read wii isos ('ready' ones)? I mounted but it doesn't regonzie it. Is that normal.....

Shuny

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
ihatexams said:
Why cant my computer drive read wii isos ('ready' ones)? I mounted but it doesn't regonzie it. Is that normal.....
Wii ISOs aren't really PC ISOs but some dump from a disc. You won't be able to read them with PC tools like Daemon Tools or UltraISO. You'll have to use Wii tools like Trucha Signer instead.

Aryudsoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burnt a TY03 with watershield protection (glossy finish on the surface) of Manhunt 2 and had a 99%+ quality rating in DVDInfoPro but I still had a DRE after completing a couple of levels. Using a Pioneer 115D and a D2CKey. Rectified it by ejecting the disc and reinserting it and it continued where it crashed from. Just goes to show you though that no matter how high your quality rating is, it doesn't mean the disc will read perfectly.

Also had another error when I put it in for the first time saying "An error has occurred. Please eject the disc and power off your Wii" or something like that. Don't know what that's about.

Shuny

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Aryudsoh said:
Burnt a TY03 with watershield protection (glossy finish on the surface) of Manhunt 2 and had a 99%+ quality rating in DVDInfoPro but I still had a DRE after completing a couple of levels. Using a Pioneer 115D and a D2CKey. Rectified it by ejecting the disc and reinserting it and it continued where it crashed from. Just goes to show you though that no matter how high your quality rating is, it doesn't mean the disc will read perfectly.

Also had another error when I put it in for the first time saying "An error has occurred. Please eject the disc and power off your Wii" or something like that. Don't know what that's about.
I think the Watershield protection is the problem in your case
wink.gif

And bump.

RetroGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I modded my Wii with a Wiikey Wiiclip, two days ago, and since then I've noticed it's been having a harder time reading my games. (Both backups and originals.) I was burning media on some lame Officemax brands DVD-Rs, but after reading this thread I went out and bought some Sony DVD-Rs. Now, I'm burning a Gamecube Game: Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Disc 1. I burned it on my (admittedly old) DVD-burner, at 8x speed. Then I ran it through a DVDInfoPro test. It was at 88% quality through 90% of the test, when it suddenly crashed to 15% quality. I had nothing else running while I was burning the disk, and was no where around to bump it or cause vibrations.

Now, is it possible that the crash had to do with it being a GC game? I'm not sure whether to just take the disc and go with it, or try to find better media, or try a different speed? A different burner isn't really an option for me right now.

I am going to try a higher speed, but I wanted to post and get some advice.

EDIT1: I tried it on 10x, and got the same thing, but not as extreme. It crashed from 87% to 50% instead of 15%. I'm thinking more speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas