Country
Canada
Use? games, homebrew, mp3 player.
Price Range? $20-40
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
GBA compatibility? no
Special features? SDHC, cheat support
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular R4, M3 real, DSTT, Supercard SDHC.
Others:Preferably fast

I can't afford a cyclo or a RPG. Any suggestions?

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe I'll look into a CycloDS instead.  Spend about $30 more than the M3 Real package ... a quick search on Divineo shows it at $69.99; plus the EZF-V 3-in-1; plus a 1GB card.  OK, more than $30 more, considering the M3 bundle on Divineo is $58 w/ the GBA expansion.

So what would my advantage be to going with a CycloDS and the 3-in-1 over the M3DS Real package?

... Just to reiterate my question
smile.gif

The Cyclo has Real Time Save and the m3 real doesn't. That's pretty much the only difference that I know of, ut spending $30 more for the cyclo+ 3in1 isn't worth it IMO. Can someone else maybe help ask this question?

QUOTE(ojsinnerz @ Jan 1 2008, 06:52 PM)Use? games, homebrew, mp3 player.
Price Range? $20-40
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? no
Special features? SDHC, cheat support
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular R4, M3 real, DSTT, Supercard SDHC.
Others:Preferably fast

I can't afford a cyclo or a RPG. Any suggestions?
Nice job, glad someone is using the new format
smile.gif

You should get either a DSTT or a m3 real. Although the DSTT has many nice features already including autoDLDI and SDHC support, the DSTT is the new kid on the block and may end up having little support, we may need to wait and see. The m3 team has a good reputation, and tons of new firmwares have been coming out for the m3 real, so the m3 real's got good support. If you want SDHC don't get the r4 cuz it doesn't support SDHC. But I recommend either the DSTT or m3 real if you might like rumble (cuz they come with rumble pack), and I also recommend those two for price. Not sure if the SCSDHC fits that price range. IF you want cheap, choose Dealextreme.com. But if you can't wait 2 weeks to 1 month, don't use DX. What do you mean by "preferably fast"? Fast game loading or fast shipping or what?

basilisko

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi! It's a nice idea to use a form... It makes all easier
biggrin.gif

Use? Roms - Homebrew - Video - mp3 - Agenda
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular (R4 + EZV 3 in 1) or DSTT or M3 real
Other? No problem with saving
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should get either the DSTT gba, rumble, and RAM bundle; or M3 Real gba, rumble, and RAM bundle. For an "Agenda," you need the DSOrganize homebrew app, which is supported by both of the aforementioned carts.

basilisko

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you!
biggrin.gif

I think that I'll get the M3 real because it seems to be more updated than the DSTT, and I can't see a big difference between the two cards.

Last question about the M3 real, is the ram expansion inside the Gba expansion card?
Because I didn't find a bundle with Gba expansion card and rumble ram card.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you!
biggrin.gif

I think that I'll get the M3 real because it seems to be more updated than the DSTT, and I can't see a big difference between the two cards.

Last question about the M3 real, is the ram expansion inside the Gba expansion card?
Because I didn't find a bundle with Gba expansion card and rumble ram card.
Hm, I'm really not sure. You can ask on the m3 forums on GBAtemp. Let me try to search it up for you.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Essentially, they're very similar cards. The DSTT being newer of the two. The one thing I like about the DSTT is that it loads games very quickly. The M3DS Real has much better features for the GBA portion. That said, M3DS Real would be a much better "all-around" card because of how easy it is to get GBA games working (and the fact that the GBA portion is part of the M3DS Real's loader so you don't need an external app and the M3DS Real manages it's saves compared to using the Ewin or Rudolph's 3-in-1 tool).

Also, the M3DS Real has built in GBA cheat support. Which not many other cards have.

The DSTT comes with the Ewin expansion pack but has no instructions on how to use it. (Although all you have to do is download the Ewin Loader)

You get the GBA Expansion and Rumble Pack from the M3DS Real Perfect Bundle.

resres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to the scene so I hope you don't mind me asking questions if I don't know what you guys are talking about. ;D

Use? Games, Homebrew
Price Range? Max I'll probably spend will be $80
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
GBA compatibility? Yes
Special features? Not really, I just want it to play homebrew well enough (SNES/NES + other stuff like Scumm)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: R4, DSTT, M3 Real
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Need input
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Need input

What's the advantage of having RAM besides the web browser? I'm guessing you arent able to stream videos, so I guess I wouldn't need that. I'd really like a rumble pack, but my main question to why I need input is, don't bundles come with both RAM and rumble? My main concern is if I can buy it separately.

Right now, I have a phat DS, but I'm planning to get a Lite. So, the slot-2 can wait unless it's bundled? =/

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to the scene so I hope you don't mind me asking questions if I don't know what you guys are talking about. ;D

Use? Games, Homebrew
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? Yes
Special features? Not really, I just want it to play homebrew well enough (SNES/NES + other stuff like Scumm)
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

What's the advantage of having RAM besides the web browser? I'm guessing you arent able to stream videos, so I guess I wouldn't need that. I'd really like a rumble pack, but my main question to why I need input is, don't bundles come with both RAM and rumble? My main concern is if I can buy it separately.

Right now, I have a phat DS, but I'm planning to get a Lite. So, the slot-2 can wait unless it's bundled? =/

Get a CycloDS Evolution.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Get a MS DS Real, since you wanted GBA support, and that card has the best compatibility for GBA games so far. I would recommend a CycloDS, but they're hard to get right now and they don't come with a GBA Expansion.

You could also try the DSTT + Ewin Pack.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get a MS DS Real, since you wanted GBA support, and that card has the best compatibility for GBA games so far. I would recommend a CycloDS, but they're hard to get right now and they don't come with a GBA Expansion.

You could also try the DSTT + Ewin Pack.
Ya, if you wanted GBA support you should get something that comes with a expansion pack. I recommend DSTT as they are VERY affordable and seem to work well.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Use? Games, Homebrew
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? Yes
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

What's the advantage of having RAM besides the web browser? I'm guessing you arent able to stream videos, so I guess I wouldn't need that. I'd really like a rumble pack, but my main question to why I need input is, don't bundles come with both RAM and rumble? My main concern is if I can buy it separately.

Right now, I have a phat DS, but I'm planning to get a Lite. So, the slot-2 can wait unless it's bundled? =/
Only the M3 real, EZ V, and DSTT have bundles from their respective teams, and only bundles from the teams make them significantly cheaper. It's also better because you know that the bundled slot-2's will work better with the slot-1 than any other slot-1 because the bundles are made for that specific cart.

The m3 real's bundles are: rumble, rumble+ram, and rumble+ram+gba. The Ez V can be bundled with the Ez V 3-in-1 which is rumble+ram+gba. The DSTT is bundled with rumble and gba+ram+rumble I think. However, GBA slot-2's usually already have RAM, and you want rumble, so you should get the ez 3-in-1. I recommend the EZ V + 3-in-1 bundle or the DSTT bundle for the cheap factor, and the ez v really isn't a bad cart. However, if you want to steer clear of that path, the m3 real rumble+ram+gba bundle is good too.
smile.gif

However, you have a phat, so if you don't get your lite soon you should get a GBA sized ez 3-in-1 with either the m3 real or DSTT OR the DSTT with its GBA+rumble+RAM bundle

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ The only expansion that works with a phat is the phat 3in1 so just buy any slot 1 guess with 3in1. If you can confirm it is a batch 4 cyclo then get it immediately.

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Use? Games, Homebrew
Slot 1/2? 1
GBA compatibility? Yes
Support slot-2 GBA? Yes

Yes, I would also suggest the Evolution, it is an amazing cart with an amazing team behind it. The Evolution has a very clean, fast loader, supports the EZ Flash 3-in-1's (more on that in a second..) rumble and RAM functions natively, has SDHC support (first cart to do so), and well...just look here for the full feature list.

As for the EZ flash 3-in-1, it is a GBA expansion pack (cheap little sucker at $20) that can play GBA games/homebrew, has RAM for opera browser (and since you are interested in emulation, SNEmulDS and other emulators utilize extra RAM to help game compatibility)
, and has a rumble pack. TeamCyclops was nice enough to integrate the rumble and RAM features into their software so you do not need to patch games to use either feature, you will still need to use Rudolph's tool to use the GBA function, but they are planning on adding support for it as well. Keep in mind that the Evolution, arguably, has the best software out there, and they keep their promises about it.

If you have any other questions to ask about the Evolution, please do so. It really is the best flashcart out there, but once again, this is my opinion. (and is for many other people as well)

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want the phat sized EZV 3in1, use RealHotStuff. It's the only online merchant I know of that sells them, plus they're based in the US (New Jersey), and they have been known to ship lightning fast and are very reliable. Plus that price is good, too- $22.

resres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only mentioned the Phat DS in terms of that, if necessary, I could wait out for a slot 2 cart if it doesn't come with whatever slot-1 bundle.

So I guess the Cyclo is the way to go if I have the money, correct? What is Rudolph's Tool and why may it be a hassle with when dealing with this cart? And um, I guess the DSTT is the way to go if I want to go the more cheap route? Is the EZ 3in1 better as a slot 2 with this cart or the Ewin? I guess I should skew away from the R4? I thought it was well received among the community?

Im starting to lean towards the M3 Real and CycloDS now. Now to find a place that has them in stock. :D

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only mentioned the Phat DS in terms of that, if necessary, I could wait out for a slot 2 cart if it doesn't come with whatever slot-1 bundle.

So I guess the Cyclo is the way to go if I have the money, correct? What is Rudolph's Tool and why may it be a hassle with when dealing with this cart? And um, I guess the DSTT is the way to go if I want to go the more cheap route? Is the EZ 3in1 better as a slot 2 with this cart or the Ewin? I guess I should skew away from the R4? I thought it was well received among the community?

Im starting to lean towards the M3 Real and CycloDS now. Now to find a place that has them in stock.
biggrin.gif
Cyclo DS is best if you can find a batch 4 one. Batch 3 ones suck and most of them are defective and you'll end up screwing yourself. Rudolph's tool is a app that let your slot 1 card communicate with your slot 2 expansion so you can use it. It is tedious for some because you have to launch it every time you want to use your expansion pack. Cyclo, EZ flash V, and Acekard RPG have built in 3in1 support so you don't have to use any program. You can just launch GBA stuff from the menu. It's very convenient. DSTT is a good cheap cart that the people on budgets should choose. It comes with the eWin expansion so that I am guessing is the best for it. The R4 is popular as well, if you decide to go for the R4 it is basically a DSTT with no SDHC feature and no included expansion. You will have to get rudolph's tool and ez flash 3in1. M3 Real is also a choice with an included GBA expansion that doesn't need rudolph's tool. Consider M3 too if you want. It is decent but it has no real feature that makes it stand out except for excellent GBA support. Note that the included M3 and DSTT expansion packs are all DS lite sizes and don't fit in the phat. If you want a phat sized expansion your only choice is the 3in1 phat size and a slot 1 with either built in 3in1 support or a slot 1 and rudolphs tool.

Hope I helped. That took awhile to type.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Full of venge.