Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It depends on how much you want to spend. I've been fighting this same battle for several week, and as soon as I think I've found the stuff I want, I see something that changes my mind, so I'm holding out for a bit longer.

Either get a Cyclo + 3-in-1, or the M3DS Real Perfect bundle. One is more expensive but has better software and doesn't natively support GBA ROMs (yet); the other has not-as-great software, but natively supports GBA ROMs.

The rest is up to you. And make sure you get a BLACK Cyclo -- that guarantee's it's from the new batch.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Phat DS, and I got a CycloDS with EZ Flash 3 in 1 GBA size all at RHS.
wink.gif

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only mentioned the Phat DS in terms of that, if necessary, I could wait out for a slot 2 cart if it doesn't come with whatever slot-1 bundle.

So I guess the Cyclo is the way to go if I have the money, correct? What is Rudolph's Tool and why may it be a hassle with when dealing with this cart? And um, I guess the DSTT is the way to go if I want to go the more cheap route? Is the EZ 3in1 better as a slot 2 with this cart or the Ewin? I guess I should skew away from the R4? I thought it was well received among the community?

Im starting to lean towards the M3 Real and CycloDS now. Now to find a place that has them in stock.
biggrin.gif

It looks like you need some clarification for slot-2 Expansion packs, I'll address your questions in the order you wrote them:

Yes, if you have the money, the Evolution is the only way to go, and it really isn't that expensive.

Rudolph's Tool is a piece of homebrew software that you will need to flash GBA games to the EZ flash 3-in-1. It is only considered a hassle because the rumble/RAM aspects of the 3-in-1 are already supported in the Evolution software, but not the GBA side, TeamCyclops has plans for adding GBA support though.

sure, why not, get a DSTT if you go the cheap route.

The EZ Flash 3-in-1 is much better in my opinion, it comes in both GBA and lite sizes, has rumble, and much better game compatibility. You do need to patch the games with GBATA or a similar program with the 3-in-1. the ewin has an automatic patcher, which causes a long loading time. Still, the 3-in-1 has much better game compatibility, notably with Pokemon as it does support real-time clock, which pokemon games need to run events and such.

Skew away from the R4? Not neccessarily, it is a decent cart (great for newbies), but the Evolution is SO much better, and has been receiving quick, constant, and feature rich updates since its launch. The R4 has been lacking in this department for the last several months. Games that need updates with the R4 seem to already be working with the Evolution.
wink.gif
Several games have been corrupting the Evolution firmware actually
blink.gif
but TeamCyclops, being the amazing team they are, released firmware v1.3 beta to fix these issues, and add Real-Time Save capabilities. So yes, the R4 is well-received, but it just isn't as good as the Evolution.

RealHotStuff has some evolutions I believe, or will in a short period of time. I would suggest buying from them. Divineo has the Evolution in stock, but they don't ship you everything, and have inflated the price way beyond the average $50-$53 for one.

Keep the questions coming, I'm liking these long posts...
smile.gif

resres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woo, yeah. I think I'm well informed now and I'll try to get a non-defected Cyclo Evolution (and eventually, the EZ 3in1). It seems like a nice choice with all the money I'm willing to spend. I'll try to get it from RHS but they seem to be out of stock for now. As for storage, how much is a enough? If I'm getting a Slot 2, would more than 2GBs be better? Right now I'm deciding between a 2GB Kingston or 4GB A-Data. =d

Much thanks guys, heh. :D

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That depends how many GBA and NDS games are you planning on having on your card at any one time. Any media, like music, pictures, or video?

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The 4 GB SDHC A-Data card is pretty much the same as the Kingston 2 GB Japan. There's a SD card test thread over on the teamcyclops forums. I would get the A-Data if you can afford it.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just telling you, in total that will be pretty expensive. Cyclo DS Evo is $53 on RHS, EZ V 3-in-1 is $22, a 4GB SDHC A-Data is $34+ship @ Fry's, which totals out to be $106 +RHS shipping fees +Fry's shipping fees.

edit: spelling

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just telling you, in total that will be pretty expensive. Cyclo DS Evo is $53 on RHS, EZ V 3-in-1 is $22, a 4GB SDHC A-Data is $34+ship @ Fry's, which totals out to be $106 +RHS shipping fees +Fry's shipping fees.

If he is willing to spend that much then he probably knows what he is doing now. After all, he is going to be able to save $1000+ with a 4Gig SD loaded full of games.

resres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it is a pretty hefty price, but I have 3 other brothers, 2 with working jobs, willing to cash in with me. :D

but thanks guys, I think I'm done for now. =)

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

If he is willing to spend that much then he probably knows what he is doing now. After all, he is going to be able to save $1000+ with a 4Gig SD loaded full of games.

1922 Dumped Games X 25.00 (Just an estimate for costs, although I think that the majority are more expensive) = $48050.00

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but who would BUY 1922 games?
tongue.gif
Besides, a 4GB can't hold that much, only ~100 or so, but who would buy that many?

I'm just saying, there are much cheaper alternatives if you don't need all the features and stuff the Cyclo has.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tongue.gif
Besides, a 4GB can't hold that much, only ~100 or so, but who would buy that many?

I'm just saying, there are much cheaper alternatives if you don't need all the features and stuff the Cyclo has.

Yes, but there are 1922 Releases Available for download. It doesn't stop anyone from getting them all.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tongue.gif

Yes, but there are 1922 Releases Available for download. It doesn't stop anyone from getting them all.
Yes but you have to subtract like 1000 games from the total as there are so many games like Hamsterz Life, Catz, Hannah Montana and Horsez that I wouldn't waste a single byte on. So more like 300ish actual games, times 3 because the main 3 releases are US, European and Japanese releases and you get to around 900 actual game titles in different languages. So in conclusion, there are only about 300 good US language games to get and that is being very lenient on what is a "good" game. To me, there are only 120 games on the DS worth playing right now.

geekface

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys I'm new to all these flashcards and was wondering if i could get some help choosing one for my little brother. I'm after something fairly reliable with good game compatibility and simple to use. Don't need much features. Also i've heard that the M3 Real has slower load times compared to others. Is this true?

Use? Games
Price Range? $60~
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
GBA compatibility? No
Special features? Easy to use
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: R4, M3 Real or maybe Black CycloDS (but rather not)
Support slot-2 GBA? No
Support slot-2 rumble packs? No
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Not sure on this

Edit: Would also like to add that i plan on buying a 2gb micro SD card so SDHC? compatibility isn't much of an issue

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to interject here, and not answer any specific questions, but right now divineo.com and mod-chip.com are ripping people off by charging(last check) more than other vendors. Divineo.com is the worst offender ATM, $70 for Evolutions, $50 for a Datel Games'n'Music, $58 M3 DS Real Perfect combo, etc. Just absolutely assinine prices compared to ANY other retailer.

If you're in the US, I've had good luck with Realhotstuff.com 2 orders, 2d shipping both time for the USPS shipping option. The initial pricing on RHS may be a little higher, but by the time you add in shipping charges v. a supposedly cheaper retailer, RHS usually comes out cheapest total cost, and believe me, in the US, the $6 USPS shipping WILL arrive in 1-2d. 1d near NJ, 2d everywhere else except Alaska/Hawaii...

Modchipcentral.com is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've never ordered from them.

Dealextreme.com is supposedly ok(never ordered from them either), but delivery will take a LONG time.

bamboogaming.com is, agaib, supposed to be good, but shipment to the US will be slow again(from China like Dealextreme), but it is one of the few places to have carts like the Acekard RPG... IIRC they also don't ship the packaging of your items, just the cart and whatever else came in the package.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I'm new to all these flashcards and was wondering if i could get some help choosing one for my little brother. I'm after something fairly reliable with good game compatibility and simple to use. Don't need much features. Also i've heard that the M3 Real has slower load times compared to others. Is this true?

Use? Games
Price Range? $60~
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
GBA compatibility? No
Special features? Easy to use
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: R4, M3 Real or maybe Black CycloDS (but rather not)
Support slot-2 GBA? No
Support slot-2 rumble packs? No
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Not sure on this

Edit: Would also like to add that i plan on buying a 2gb micro SD card so SDHC? compatibility isn't much of an issue

You won't need $60 for a flashcart where all you need is to play games
biggrin.gif

I think you should get the r4 even though they are a little obsolete due to lack of the new features such as SDHC compatibility. The r4 is supposedly the easiest to use. I don't know much about other carts and how easy they are to use, but believe me, the r4 is VERY easy to use. All you have to do is copy files over. They even include a CD, but that may not be the latest FW. The r4 is also cheap and has 100% game compatibility, and you can definitely count on the r4 team to keep this, if nothing else. Tons and tons of people use the r4 (more than any other flashcart) so you can also expect many people who can help you if you ever come across a problem using the r4. R4 also plays music, movies, and homebrew well.

Only thing I need to ask you is: do you need Wii-DS connectivity (namely Pokemon Battle Revolution)?
Just to interject here, and not answer any specific questions, but right now divineo.com and mod-chip.com are ripping people off by charging(last check) more than other vendors. Divineo.com is the worst offender ATM, $70 for Evolutions, $50 for a Datel Games'n'Music, $58 M3 DS Real Perfect combo, etc. Just absolutely assinine prices compared to ANY other retailer.

If you're in the US, I've had good luck with Realhotstuff.com 2 orders, 2d shipping both time for the USPS shipping option. The initial pricing on RHS may be a little higher, but by the time you add in shipping charges v. a supposedly cheaper retailer, RHS usually comes out cheapest total cost, and believe me, in the US, the $6 USPS shipping WILL arrive in 1-2d. 1d near NJ, 2d everywhere else except Alaska/Hawaii...

Modchipcentral.com is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've never ordered from them.

Dealextreme.com is supposedly ok(never ordered from them either), but delivery will take a LONG time.

bamboogaming.com is, agaib, supposed to be good, but shipment to the US will be slow again(from China like Dealextreme), but it is one of the few places to have carts like the Acekard RPG... IIRC they also don't ship the packaging of your items, just the cart and whatever else came in the package.
Only thing I can confirm here is that dealextreme is a good site. Unfortunately you have to wait 2 weeks-1 month for ship. However, they'll never run with your money and leave; if your product is lost during shipping they'll refund you. But don't worry, that usually doesn't happen, it's just a matter of waiting for it to arrive.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^I can also confirm that BambooGaming is a trustworthy site. Ordered my Acekard from them and it came in 15 business days. The shipping is a little steep however, be ready to pay $10-$12 for shipping if you want to get stuff from them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ohh, Don't tell me lEOTck did it to you? :O:sad: