Hacking preloader v0.1 by crediar

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait a minute, if there's a way to autoboot a dol on startup why not just make the dol be a custom backup launcher that auto-loads the menu with patches on ios 249 for you? then you could just use the old menu loader if you wanted the default menu on ios 30 or whatever. this should work for everyone except those on 3.4 to use preloader and still have access to the system menu. someone try this please, it might just be enough to convince me to install. the only problem is that you'll be dependent on the sd card (unless you can find a way to have it load from the nand)

wait- but this would require changing backup launcher to load the menu from a different file (since preloader moves the executable).

why not just turn bu launcher into a better preloader? all we really need is a good installer and some changes to backup launcher (which i think won't be too hard). hopefully we can use the system menu loading code to load the homebrew channel. it might even be easier programming wise to simply change the system menu's title id # (to 3 or something). then we can just install our backup launcher/preloader to title id 2.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Now we're cooking!

I am thinking of setting my ntsc console to pal and trying this...anyone want to send me a 3.2e (PAL) wad?

Appreciate it, in advance.

And also, since it would autoload the dol from (root fo sd card, right?) Then I would just copy the menuloader.dol to root and rename it boot.dol, is this correct.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
ppc_gba said:
wait a minute, if there's a way to autoboot a dol on startup why not just make the dol be a custom backup launcher that auto-loads the menu with patches on ios 249 for you? then you could just use the old menu loader if you wanted the default menu on ios 30 or whatever. this should work for everyone except those on 3.4 to use preloader and still have access to the system menu. someone try this please, it might just be enough to convince me to install. the only problem is that you'll be dependent on the sd card (unless you can find a way to have it load from the nand)

wait- but this would require changing backup launcher to load the menu from a different file (since preloader moves the executable).

why not just turn bu launcher into a better preloader? all we really need is a good installer and some changes to backup launcher (which i think won't be too hard). hopefully we can use the system menu loading code to load the homebrew channel. it might even be easier programming wise to simply change the system menu's title id # (to 3 or something). then we can just install our backup launcher/preloader to title id 2.
menu patcher doesnt work, it just give a black screen upon boot

IronMask

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
Take it easy on me if this is old news.

Listen up everyone i finally have figured this damn preloader out, and how to get it to do what its a post to, Like autobooting the HBC and System menu, and autobooting dols.

once you have it installed go into settings here it says autoboot dol and press LEFT to RIGHT it has different options i didn't know about like autoboot the system menu or autoboot the HBC also i tried installing a SMS emu dol and it worked autoboots it great

Now i've got it setup to autoboot the system menu so when i turn on my wii it will load stright to the system menu, not the preloader menu, and if i hold reset when turning on your wii it will load straight to the Homebrew channel\Preloader menu, which is awesome I didn't know it had these options anyways this is 100% better than starfall if you set it up like this.

Also for those wondering I (HAD) a NSTC wii, yep i got it working everything, you may not like my method of getting it to work, but i'll tell ya how to do it, If your already 3.2 its easy if not get there

Anyways once your on 3.2u just install the PAL 3.2 system menu wad, I know (but i'll semi brick) false not if you follow these next steps, next use the program anyregion changer no wifi needed, and change and only change your Console area setting to PAL, doing that you wont get the Opera error screen in the wii settings and you can still play your NSTC Wii games like always now just re-install starfall and next install preloader, thats exactly how i done it.

And also if you setup preloader to autoboot the system menu, If you set it up like that, it will now power off when you hit the power off button unlike it did before,
I can't even tell preloader is on my wii, until i hit reset, which from there i can boot HBC or my installed DOL which i got working, Hell i don't even need the TP hack any more to unbrick from a banner brick, but i'll still leave on my wii for safe keepin
I've got my wii setup just how i want it now

I thought that this was autoloading the MenuLoader this way... no??????
huh.gif

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so would this have any benefits to a chip owner other than being able to boot direct to HBC from what i gather every-ones fiddling with this to boot backups without having to load apps?

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wiisel: yes it's another brick protection, assuming you get it working right.

@linkinworm, thanks for the info but i wasn't expecting it to work without modification, we need to change the dol index number to whatever crediar has changed the menu to.
normally it's autodetected: bootindex = ((tmd *)SIGNATURE_PAYLOAD(ptmd))->boot_index;
maybe you could post a listing of the files in /title/00000001/00000002/content/. (i have not yet installed it myself)
for me, 3.3u menu, i have title.tmd, 5b.app, 58.app, and 57.app (all the apps are padded to 8 digits with preceding zeros: 0000005b.app). i'm guessing he's used a hardcoded number (like zero) for the original menu which we need to set bootindex equal to in the backup launcher.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been able to get emulators and stuff like that to autoboot, But i really don't need that, All the good stuff like menu patcher and wad manager, stuff like that i can't get to autoboot, I think its best to just to set it to autoboot the system menu from the settings and use it for the ultimate Starfall,

Skarface05

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Question: If you don't install starfall and just leave preloader installed, can you still access the rescue menu via GC Controller?

i'm only wondering as if you still can, is there any meaningfull reason to still having starfall installed?

Many thanks in advance!

Happy Holidays from Bath, England.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without startfall you can't access the Recovery menu, but you really dont need it if you install the preloader and set the system menu to autoboot, its just like having a Starfall recovery built in, I just added the starfall protection also for extra protection, My wii is wearing two rubbers

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
ppc_gba said:
@wiisel: yes it's another brick protection, assuming you get it working right.

@linkinworm, thanks for the info but i wasn't expecting it to work without modification, we need to change the dol index number to whatever crediar has changed the menu to.
normally it's autodetected: bootindex = ((tmd *)SIGNATURE_PAYLOAD(ptmd))->boot_index;
maybe you could post a listing of the files in /title/00000001/00000002/content/. (i have not yet installed it myself)
for me, 3.3u menu, i have title.tmd, 5b.app, 58.app, and 57.app (all the apps are padded to 8 digits with preceding zeros: 0000005b.app). i'm guessing he's used a hardcoded number (like zero) for the original menu which we need to set bootindex equal to in the backup launcher.
as i said its only a guess, stuff like wadmanager relies on the IOS system (249 to be correct), but im pretty sure(reading about bootmii n stuff) that it wont boot a IOS to allow more control(no starlet to mess with security if im correct) but other things that dont "rely" on IOS will boot fine, im kinda drunk so if i sound off thats why. hence no wad manger, i tink menu patcher is just something to do with the reset of the wii, (you cant reset the wii and boot at the same time)

IronMask

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
That makes alot of sense for a drunkard, Linkin... It would be nice to double wrap the system with this though... especially if bootmii somehow shields us from getting the menupatcher as well or wad manager for that matter. It's a shame Marcan just can't admit that he is really a backdoor pirate and let's get on with the "show". But.. I don't want to get him stirring again, because we know how it bitterly ends, a few words about how ignorant I am or whoever is to how the starlet/hollywood structure works under a microscope. And the silly morals and values of how it is wrong. Although, I truly wish I did know how to code. All I can do is ride the homebrew waves to a far better horizon than what they limited this remarkable unit to. And try to respect others opinions and play dodge ball with the rest.

Happy Holidays

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
I just installed this 0.2 preloader. It's so cool. Can't think of anything else I need on my unmodded Wii now.

Bootmii what now?!?! Sorry, never heard of it.

What's the message I get about a CRITICAL update 0.24? Where's that then?

pika9323

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fishears said:
I just installed this 0.2 preloader. It's so cool. Can't think of anything else I need on my unmodded Wii now.

Bootmii what now?!?! Sorry, never heard of it.

What's the message I get about a CRITICAL update 0.24? Where's that then?

What you got Version 0.2? Where can i find it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/iqu132vTl5Y?si=MZw4KpDtlawLZNEF