Hacking preloader v0.1 by crediar

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
nutta_nic said:
i might be being a bit lazy here because i can't be arsed to read all the thread but i've read a lot of it lets say 50-60%, but has anyone thought that crediar may have made it incompatible with the rebooters on purpose because he doesn't wantit used for piracy purposes? maybe it's ment as a brick saver or helping the homebrew scene
i think that the rebooter is more to do with the fact that it has to patch the menu while its running, then it reboots the menu with the patch, with pre loader it cant load because it has nothing to do, in a sence
i'm no expert, i can't program, code or do anything clever but i can read, search, and learn, un-like most noobs like myself, my pointless point is i'm pretty sure one of the last posts i read from marcan in this very thread is that team tweezers will make sure bootmii is useless for pirates maybe crediar was ahead of the game

EDIT
found the post

marcan said:
ppc_gba said:
oh no, not another piracy discussion. if bootmii is gimped somehow im gonna be disappointed. remember, we don't need to create any more roadblocks, nintendo has done enough of that already.
Depends on your definition of gimped.

If your definition of gimped is "with deliberate, explicit limitations", then no.
If your definition of gimped is "will not deliver everything we talked about because we reconsidered things" then probably yes.

We're not creating the roadblocks. But I fully intend to leave Nintendo's roadblocks in place (that is, not do anything about them) if I can work around them for homebrew purposes. Especially when removing those roadblocks would help piracy. I also intend to steer the homebrew path away so pirates have to travel a long way across to use it for piracy.

To be more precise, if I can create a workable or better homebrew platform without hacking IOS, without fakesigning, etc, then I will. Because piracy fundamentally relies on working with Nintendo's stuff (you're running pirate Nintendo software after all), whereas homebrew can just say "screw it" and just not use any of it, limitations included. If the pirates want to pirate, they're going to have to do the work themselves.

this being my main pointless point

If your definition of gimped is "will not deliver everything we talked about because we reconsidered things" then probably yes.

Ga1l0w

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just read most of this thread... Love the drama. But what happens when something even more dangerous is leaked? Epic fail would ensue.

Anything recent on this project?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a theory to get the menu patcher to work on the pre-loader,
The preloader will autoboot the HBC which requires a IOS but not the Menu patcher, Curious?
I'm wondering if you make a channel of the menu patcher and then give it the same title ID that the Homebrew channel has and then remove the Homebrew channel from your wii and install the Hack Menu patcher Channel if the preload would autoboot the Menu Patcher thinking its the HBC? but more than likely its a stupid idea, cause the wii would more than likely just keep rebooting if it did work.

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiBlaster said:
I have a theory to get the menu patcher to work on the pre-loader,
The preloader will autoboot the HBC which requires a IOS but not the Menu patcher, Curious?
I'm wondering if you make a channel of the menu patcher and then give it the same title ID that the Homebrew channel has and then remove the Homebrew channel from your wii and install the Hack Menu patcher Channel if the preload would autoboot the Menu Patcher thinking its the HBC? but more than likely its a stupid idea, cause the wii would more than likely just keep rebooting if it did work.

good point someone to test could just back up your HBC to sd then if it does keep rebooting hold the reset button to boot normally then delete the rebooter channel and put HBC back on via sd, what code does the HBC have anyway? would a wad manager channel be usefull to have installed too do you think? to uninstall rebooter wad

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
me neither, i'll try it too so we have ntsc and pal results!! whats the unique id for the HBC is it just HBC?

EDIT
i think i found the channel id HAXX

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Could someone tell me, what's the point in having menu patcher autobooted with this hack? Since it's actual use should be for recovery purposes...

I don't think any reason this app coded to prevent the menu patcher... In essence the reason it doesn't work is just related to how menu patcher works... it reads the system menu dol from nand, patches it and boot it... The behavior will not change if you make it into a channel...or if you replace it with the hbc channel...

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
yep it loaded the patched system menu over and over and over over and over..... you get the point
tongue.gif

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
Could someone tell me, what's the point in having menu patcher autobooted with this hack? Since it's actual use should be for recovery purposes...

I don't think any reason this app coded to prevent the menu patcher... In essence the reason it doesn't work is just related to how menu patcher works... it reads the system menu dol from nand, patches it and boot it... The behavior will not change if you make it into a channel...or if you replace it with the hbc channel...
why so serious dude, it didn't work and you knew it wouldnt well i didn't being a noob and all , i essentially bricked my wii, but because of this genius bit of programming i recovered in about 30 seconds and it only took that long because i was laughing so hard seeing "loading system memu into memory [+] " over and over again i could even reinstall the real HBC through the prog because its on the root of my sd,

Preloader FTW
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Why don't you patch the system menu wad to use custom ios instead?
Theoretically installing that with wad manager should result in a system menu with backup reading capabilities...

Though it's risky... Guess I have given the answer already
smile.gif

Or the best you can get a chip...

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats a good idea, and i do already have a chip,

But hea it does sound risky cause if it didn't install or if it didn't work correctly you would be permanently bricked, not worth the risk.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiBlaster said:

But hea it does sound risky cause if it didn't install or if it didn't work correctly you would be permanently bricked, not worth the risk.

That's why that kind of stuff should only be experimented by those having an infectus chip soldered to their nand...

Marcan once said waninkoko had that setup, you may bug waninkoko to try it at least
tongue.gif

ps: by the way, messing with an unreleased application (preloader) is much more risky imho...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiBlaster said:
So a infectus chip can backup and restore your Nand?

Yes, exactly... though I've not encountered any software or hardware schemas to do it... guess it's internal...

The easiest is to ask waninkoko as to what menu patcher actually does... if that custom ios works with the system menu flawlessly then I don't see any problem with that...

Only, system menu could be reloading the ios itself.. in that case the attempt of just changing the system menu's tmd will be futile...

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
WiiBlaster said:

That's why that kind of stuff should only be experimented by those having an infectus chip soldered to their nand...

Marcan once said waninkoko had that setup, you may bug waninkoko to try it at least
tongue.gif

ps: by the way, messing with an unreleased application (preloader) is much more risky imho...
no he bricked that wii beyond repair lol, but its a good idea for someone else who does have the setup, it would be good if we could emulate the wii system not to play games but to test out stuff like this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: "BULLSHIT ARTIST!!!" lmao. Have to see it to understand.