Homebrew [Release] ScummVM 3DS

TheReturningVoid

0xAAAAAAAA
Trophies
XP
Country
Time for me to go back to when I was 3 years old and play Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside. I'm pretty sure I still have that disc somewhere...

EDIT: Hmm, can't seem to launch the 3dsx. It doesn't even ask me to choose a target app, which is really strange. Does this not work on O3DS?

Last edited by TheReturningVoid,

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I never played games like DOOM, or old games, so why not

The only thing DOOM/QUAKE etc. games and the ScummVM games has in common are that they are rather old...

Almost all of the ScummVM games are Point N Click games. That is the the total opposite to those raw 3D action DOOM games :P

You will ned a LOT of patience to play through any of these games :)

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
OK, so I've done some initial testing on my New 3DS, so here are the results:

[WORKING]
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Loom
Monkey Island 2
(talkie edition using ogg files)

[WORKING WITH BUGS]
The Secret of Monkey Island (talkie) - Freezes at Lucasfilm Games splash screen. Can skip using the B button and continue playing as normal.

[NOT WORKING]
The Dig - Intro plays through fine, until Low comes out of the ship, then freezes (dialogue stays up on screen, animations continue, but do not progress. You can press B to skip to the other two shipmates appearing, but dialogue will freeze again, and nothing is selectable).

For everything that works (including MI1), it is very pleasant playing on the N3DS! I've tested saving and loading, which works fine, and also worth noting is that the START button will bring up the Global Menu, and SELECT button exists to the ScummVM Launcher, which hasn't been documented yet. Will test more a bit later!

*Edit - I know this is probably a big ask, but is it possible to work in MT32 emulation? Would be interesting to see how this performs on the 3DS. It works really well on a Pi2!

Last edited by jpxdude, , Reason: MT32
Reactions: SLiV3R

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
hmmz, controls for Full Throttle are difficult, have to figur out a bit
Also no talking anywhere in different games?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Full Throttle also works, (so far)
Broken Sword also (so far), but text is very blurry, almost not readable

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, it's great to have Curse of Monkey Island on the 3DS.
It even works, in scenes with many different sounds it has no audio however.
Also the top-screen only shows a fraction of the bottom screen and maybe should be disabled, or what I suggest, should show the text, as the 320x240 display is too small too show both at a readable degree.
Would be really great to add this.

Last edited by Wuigi,

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For everything that works (including MI1), it is very pleasant playing on the N3DS! I've tested saving and loading, which works fine, and also worth noting is that the START button will bring up the Global Menu, and SELECT button exists to the ScummVM Launcher, which hasn't been documented yet. Will test more a bit later!

*Edit - I know this is probably a big ask, but is it possible to work in MT32 emulation? Would be interesting to see how this performs on the 3DS. It works really well on a Pi2!
Thanks for testing those games out. And I forgot to add Start/Select to controls list, thanks for reminding me lol.

MT32 could likely kill the o3ds performance until I optimize it for better GPU usage (a lot of CPU being used for software conversion of palettes atm).

I experience the same problem with The Dig, and I don't know why. I was thinking maybe there is some lib(s) or emulation engine missing, but ScummVM gives no error afaik. I will have to add to list of buggy games for now.

Some things I would like confirmed:

- Full Throttle: There are sound issues for me. Characters talk, but sfx like punching/kicking don't work. I would like to know if this happens for others too.

- Simon the Sorcerer: I would like this tested on n3ds (I don't have one). It's really slow and I'm curious if it runs full speed on n3ds.

- Broken Sword 1/2/2.5: Same as Simon the Sorcerer above, I would like tested on n3ds for speed.

Is the monster hunter 3/4 demo big enough to start it?
I believe so.
I quickly tried my talkie version of Monkey Island 2, and it works brilliantly! That zoom effect thing on the top screen is pretty cool, but a little off putting, is there a way to turn it off? Can't wait to put this through it's paces on my lunch break! Thanks again!

-J
I will add some 3ds-specific configuration options, and that will be one of them along with the ability to just disable the top screen (or turn it into console output for debug) since it's just a duplicate and can be annoying.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK got a CIA ready. I tried Sam & Max and it doesn't have sound.
Also the 3DS has trouble closing it.
It uses DSP service for audio. You need to use the DSP Firmware Dumper which saves the dump to SD card to be used with libctru homebrew. I'm guessing that's the problem.

Also, it's expected to have trouble sleeping/suspending/closing as that it not implemented yet in code. However, does it at least close using the in-game menu to exit the game?

Last edited by TheCruel,
Reactions: hippy dave

MannCo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Full Throttle has some missing sound effects and music for me too. I'm also getting some random freezes at the beginning of the game (when you need to collect the stuff to repair the motorbike).

Sam & Max is working really well. I love to have this game on the 3DS :yay3ds:

Thanks for your work!

Last edited by MannCo,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Time for me to go back to when I was 3 years old and play Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside. I'm pretty sure I still have that disc somewhere...

EDIT: Hmm, can't seem to launch the 3dsx. It doesn't even ask me to choose a target app, which is really strange. Does this not work on O3DS?
works fine for me on my orig euro 3ds

A

a9lh-1user

okay Simon 1 is running in FULL speed.....but no dialouge boxes....no character sound.....
sfx is working from the beginning (intro video / the dog is not barking! and simon is not speaking) and also in the game.
But this is maybe the windows cd version i will try another version asap ;)

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You may not have any of the targets. Try installing one of these: https://gist.github.com/aliaspider/267ec0e67c9a5fb5c6de

I know it works with Monster Hunter 4 and the Youtube app. If it doesn't work with others, let me know.

okay Simon 1 is running in FULL speed.....but no dialouge boxes....no character sound.....
sfx is working from the beginning (intro video / the dog is not barking! and simon is not speaking) and also in the game.
But this is maybe the windows cd version i will try another version asap ;)
Cool, thanks!

This certainly isn't the only game with audio issues. So I think there must be some audio component that I missed...

Last edited by TheCruel,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe noteworthy:
- N3DS
- AuReiNand A9LH EmuNand 10.7
- Running HBL throu CIA from EmuNand 10.7
- Running ScummVM-3DS from HBL (started from EmuNand 10.7)
- Works great!

@TheCruel
- Broken Sword 1 runs fine, but the onscrfeen dialog is really a pain to read cause of the small screen :/
- Audio issues (like in alot of games) like sound FX, craccling sound , etc...

Last edited by DjoeN,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Temp is back back again
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    why were servers down?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because it was telling a friend
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, telling what?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Maintenance most likely.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, understandable
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hopefully it wasn't a DDoS attack.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i was already believing that was the reason it was down
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, The response from the page said it had too many connections. So perhaps, flooded traffic?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it didnt say that for me
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, It only shows that if you do 'View Source', right below that it'll tell you the SQL response query. I feel like a nerd lol.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But for everyone, it said unexpected database error.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just said database error for me
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she said it only said "too many connections" when you view the source
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna try to actually beat touhou 6
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Have fun.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i recall playing some hard undertale fangames way before playing touhou, like the genocide asgore fangame or the mettaton neo 2.0 one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    so atleast im already kinda used to bullet hell games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and yea i played both undertale and deltarune too although those are a piece of cake compared to any touhou game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aaaaaaannnnnnd i already lost all my continues
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only set three default lives btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz of score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i think i first should focus more on beating the game rather than obtaining a high score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night