Hacking Rominator v2008

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I was down for a while due to a hardware issue (as in my Hughesnet dish crapped out and I didn't have $300 to have a technician come out and fix it so I had to figure it out myself) but there's an update to 4693 with boxarts. Getting the information I needed via dialup is darn near impossible, much less downloading the actual roms themselves to test the database with.

I have had someone volunteer to help out over in the Rominator database thread. We'll have to see how that goes.
smile.gif
At this point, I'd like to have a backup person to go to so I can take some of the workload off for a week or so without depriving users of another update. Luckily, I'm at a point where I've hard to learn enough "the hard way" that I can actually write a short tutorial for others to go by.

I'm glad people are liking the boxart updates. I know it was driving me crazy too. I was dragging my feet on it waiting to hear if/when I might be able to start uploading stuff to the Rominator server. Eventually I just got tired of waiting and tired of seeing the error screens too. I also load all the uncompressed roms into my personal database so there is actually an updated iconcache database: I don't upload it because the only people who really need it are people like me who have all the roms compressed in WinZip so Rominator can't read the headers/icon info directly.

The biggest undertaking I'd had with the database is that I'd started updating the metacritic info, so I have to keep checking their site to see what's new. I tried using an extension in my browser to monitor the page, but it's a massive fail so I manually have to keep checking the site. I have no idea if the (broken) update software checks the site or not as I've never actually seen the update software. Probably going through and doing the renumbering job wasn't necessary either, but I hope it makes it easier on people. Eventually, there might be an OfflineList .DAT as well (not by me) that uses the same numbering. I'm still waiting for the official announcement on that one, though. Also awaiting for a status update on Rominator 2010 but I haven't asked hankchill directly.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New database is up link here. It's now current through 4726 and has some updates/fixes thanks to the keen eyes of various Rominator users.

4713 from the previous database was wrong as the database was released before the info sites had been updated, so 4713 was really 4714. I double-checked them the sites this time and stopped where they stopped.
wink.gif

FrankSinatra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for doing this. Anyway, to make sure I'm doing this right, starting with Rominator only updated from within the app and no manual .rod updates yet:

First I download Rominator Boxart update 4637, and put the boxart in whatever/Rominator Data/NDS Box Art, overwriting any that already exist.

Then I add the boxart from ds.rod 4660, ignoring the ds.rod file. I then do the same with ds.rod 4693 then 4713, always overwriting any duplicate files with the newer one.

Finally, I add the boxart from the newest update, 4726 and overwrite whatever/Rominator Data/ds.rod with the new ds.rod file.

Is that about right?

*edit* The only thing that gives me pause, and why I'm not just going ahead and testing it, is that the ds.rod files in each successive update seems to get bigger, which makes sense, as more games are added... but the 4726 ds.rod file is smaller than the previous 3: 800KB vs 836, 844, and 848KB, so I'm a bit confused.

*second edit* Well, I bit the bullet and went ahead, and it seems to be working fine.

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
so tell me, is the maker of this app still updating it?

else i think its about time somebody made a new one yes?

im a coder, not nds stuff, but in vb.net, i can make something like this
smile.gif

Damian666

edit:

nvm, i just now saw there is allready another one xD

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damian666 said:
UltraMagnus said:

yep, look here ^^

www.dsromorganizer.com

Damian666

Too bad it's Windows only, at least Rominator is multi-platform and hankchill said something about maybe restarting development...

Also, hehe, totally off topic, but are you the same damian666 who was working on NodEnabler?
tongue.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Salamantis said:
Damian666 said:
UltraMagnus said:

yep, look here ^^

www.dsromorganizer.com

Damian666

Too bad it's Windows only, at least Rominator is multi-platform and hankchill said something about maybe restarting development...

Also, hehe, totally off topic, but are you the same damian666 who was working on NodEnabler?
tongue.gif

Bugger, may have to think about writing one myself in java when I get time.

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Salamantis said:

tongue.gif

yeah... thats me xD

i see my stuff preceeds me
tongue.gif

Damian666

ulao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you create a missing list? I see the bottom tells you how many are missing but what files are they?

>>Ahh I didnt see rom stats before, got it now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Roshambo wants real life Dungeons & Dragons gameplay in his house. :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ted Bundy edition
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was that one guy that built a "murder hotel" where he'd hunt and kill guests.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why's it always a doctor
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Because it takes a certain kind of personality to become a doctor.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The we want to see you death kind
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The superiority complex / "I AM A GOD, EVERYONE IS BENEATH ME, I GET TO DECIDE WHO LIVES AND WHO DIES" thing.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ceo?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Worse.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    America? :ohnoes:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not that bad.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah Mexico
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Worse.
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Brazil?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Are you kind like p1ng?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @linuxares, No. Detroit.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I am a vengeful God.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Full of venge.
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    IM THE DARK MESSIAH!
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    IM THE VENGEFUL OOOOOOOOOONNE (Can't you see what you've become?!)
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yup, someone losts their nuts?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Deez.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    nuts
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    How we doin' in here?
    OGSniper @ OGSniper: How we doin' in here?