Hacking Trucha Bug Restorer release

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
Just came over and signed in specificly to say thanx for this 1.11 update WiiPower your the wii homebrewers best friend! my buddy was on a downgraded 3.2 wii...he then updated to 3.4...this messed up his HBC for whatever reason....I then got it with that info and updated to 4.2 (via settings update) and then ran banner bomb and that went swimingly then i ran the 1.11 build of your TBR and followed the video below....Next i ran Cios rev 14 and tried Usb Loader CFG it all worked out gr8 and it was a FAST operation as well as efficient i just want to say...

thank-you-very-much-gold-on-blue.jpg

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1.11 -> 1.12:

- added version check patching (this prevents error -1035 on downgrading titles)
- forces the patched ES module to be NOT shared (will reduce used nand space eventually if the installed IOS is overwritten)
- disabled all patches except the hash check for IOS37, the patches either don't work or are useless on a patched IOS37

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tj_cool said:
So if I'm correct, this will now allow us to install cIOSs using IOS36 without having to remove the stubs first
smile.gif

Yes. But there's another(better) question you should ask when reading the changelog...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Piggybacking on the other question, this means we should be able to install the patched IOS36 over the IOS249 stub, right? It sounds like it's time to bring my tutorial back to using TBR instead of TBR Mod too... (turns out I already did that when you released 1.11)

Oh, and would this 'better' question have something to do with checking what's previously been happening to space on the nand if it hasn't been reducing when the IOS is rewritten?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dr. Clipper said:
Piggybacking on the other question, this means we should be able to install the patched IOS36 over the IOS249 stub, right? It sounds like it's time to bring my tutorial back to using TBR instead of TBR Mod too... (turns out I already did that when you released 1.11)

Oh, and would this 'better' question have something to do with checking what's previously been happening to space on the nand if it hasn't been reducing when the IOS is rewritten?

I heard that shared contents are not deleted when deleting a title. If that's true, it would explain why i have few free nand space with only 3-4 VC installed.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is a ioctl to delete shared contents. i remember reading about about it on wiibrew but i never looked into it. basically you give this ioctl the hash of the content to be removed and it deletes it. IIRC, it checks to make sure that the content is not needed by "important files" which i assume means that it will not delete contents needed by current IOS and the system menu.

i dont know exactly when this ioctl is designed to be called. probably by the system menu itself after the upgrade process? but it is not called by any homebrew ive seen, so we just let the shared contents pile up even if they arent needed.

EDIT>>
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki//dev/es#.2Fdev.2Fes_IOS_Ioctlv

0x38

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok, i think either the system menu calls it during the update process, or it's one of the ioctls that is not used by anything. Thanks for the hint, i'll take a look.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I changed my tutorial yesterday to use the new TBR and I've already received several responses from people getting the 1035 error. This is occurring when trying to use the downgraded IOS15 to install a fully patched IOS36 over the IOS249 stub installed by Nintendo.

I'm going to do some testing a little later myself to determine if I can reproduce the errors myself, but this should be working without the 1035 error now, right?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installing the downgraded ios15 doesnt have the patch to allow it to skip the version check. so it wont be able to install a ios over top of one with a higher version. you are applying the patch to ios36. so you must first install this ios36 before you can install any other ios over top of one with a higher version. you can change the version of ios36 before you install it and it should work. otherwise all it will allow you to do is install fakesigned content.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, I thought that might be what the problem is. I guess I'll move it back to using the 236 slot as I really don't want to modify people's IOS36 if I don't have to. This is especially true given the theories that a modified IOS36 is responsible for the weird, random crash that occurs with the HBC launching certain channels without waiting for the network.

@WiiPower: Is it possible to add the versioning patch to the IOS15 downgrade? I realise it probably isn't, but it's worth asking...

Edit: Hmm... I guess I can at least remove the AnyTitle Deleter steps of the tutorial as they won't be needed any more.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
giantpune said:
installing the downgraded ios15 doesnt have the patch to allow it to skip the version check. so it wont be able to install a ios over top of one with a higher version. you are applying the patch to ios36. so you must first install this ios36 before you can install any other ios over top of one with a higher version. you can change the version of ios36 before you install it and it should work. otherwise all it will allow you to do is install fakesigned content.

does this also apply to Dop-Mii's fakesign restorer...

speaking of which... is one better than the other (TBR vs Dop-Mii's fakesign restorer)?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
XFlak said:
giantpune said:

does this also apply to Dop-Mii's fakesign restorer...

speaking of which... is one better than the other (TBR vs Dop-Mii's fakesign restorer)?

You have to explain better what exactly you mean.

With TBR you are able to skip the delete stubs step now, did you mean that?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
nvm, I think I understand the differences now...

but I'm a little confused about what is causing the 1035 error dr clipper mentioned though, what steps should I take to avoid that
As I understand it at the moment, this is the process you need to use to install 222/223 and 249/250 without having to delete the stubs on a virgin 4.2 Wii and without touching IOS36:

Downgrade IOS15
Install patched IOS36 as IOS236
Restore IOS15 (keeps Wii normal)
Install IOS249(Wanin) using IOS236
Install IOS222/223 using IOS236
Delete IOS236 if you want

What I'd prefer to be able to do is the following, but it won't work at the current time:

Downgrade IOS15
Install patched IOS36 as IOS249(Trucha)
Restore IOS15
Install IOS222/223 with IOS249(Trucha)
Install IOS249(Wanin) with IOS249(Trucha)

That way, you leave no trace of the patched IOS36 on your system and your Nintendo IOSes are pure. It requires the downgraded IOS15 to be patched to allow it to downgrade IOS249 from the stub, as otherwise you get the 1035 error I talked about. It's only the patched IOS36 that can have this bug fixed currently, not the downgraded IOS15. TO avoid it, don't try to overwrite any stubs with the downgraded IOS15.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
One could either use the downgrade "trick" TBR uses in the cIOS installer, or one could patch IOS15 with the patch with the same method the tmd gets changed during the downgrade "trick".

I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just change the version number of the patched IOS 36 before you install it to 249. you really are only using this IOS 1 time. once you use it to install wanin's 249, it is gone. so you can give it whatever version you want. it will only be there for 2 minutes anyways.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
or just change the version number of the patched IOS 36 before you install it to 249. you really are only using this IOS 1 time. once you use it to install wanin's 249, it is gone. so you can give it whatever version you want. it will only be there for 2 minutes anyways.
That would work too. WiiPower, if I were to edit the source to allow one of these techniques (optionally, of course), could it become part of the main TBR line, or would I have to release as a new TBR Mod?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm too lazy for now, so you might want to create a mod. Just using revision 0xffff for the patched IOS249 should be the fastest way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol