When the Switch2 comes out, do you expect it to have full Switch1 compatibility?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the chances that the Switch2 will be able to play all Switch1 games directly, to the extent that the eShop shows them side by side?

And would Nintendo continue to support the Switch1? So like coming out with a Switch nano thats smaller and cheaper then the Switch lite, and encouraging indy devs to make games that support both systems, if they don't need the advanced power of the Switch 2?

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Switch 2 will have any form of BC, knowing Nintendo it will be only with digital games (not physical), because they love to sell you their games at full price.. By some miracle, if the cartridge port in the Switch 2 is the same (or uses the same technology?) as the one in the Switch, they could still charge you to use that feature *somehow* with some BS lock/ drm feature, specially for the ones when you have to DL the game data from their servers.. Of course i could be totally wrong here, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I'll see what the new console will cook. Why are people always saying that it's going to be a switch 2???

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
We know nothing about the next Nintendo hardware.

As player I like the full backward compatibility like the 3DS for example, but nobody is doing that nowadays.
Both Microsoft and Sony have list based backward compatibility, where there is a list of games and those games are compatible on the new system, requiring internet validation (I don't know the technical details of that). This would not work if the switch successor is indeed a portable (or hybrid) console because you don't have always on internet.
No backward compatibility is a possibility too, and the on most successful moment ever for Nintendo, it's not unlikely that they would try unpopular measures.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm hoping it would be like the 3DS where you can insert Switch cartridges into it, but Switch2 carts have a tab or something so they can't be inserted into the Switch1. And I'm hoping you can log into your existing Nintendo account and redownload all the games you've already purchased for the Switch1

Reactions: ScaryHobbit and Xzi

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Honestly, I will wait for when Nintendo unveils mroe of the console because this I don't want to assume that it's going to be a switch 2 or anything like that. While I wish that it could still be a portable device, my expectations are what the company delivers and not off what other people speculate.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the chances that the Switch2 will be able to play all Switch1 games directly, to the extent that the eShop shows them side by side?

And would Nintendo continue to support the Switch1? So like coming out with a Switch nano thats smaller and cheaper then the Switch lite, and encouraging indy devs to make games that support both systems, if they don't need the advanced power of the Switch 2?
I wouldn't hold my breath really. If it does cool.
Post automatically merged:

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo goes digital-only with Switch 2. They hate people buying physical games used as much as they hate piracy. Not to mention how few games actually fit on a 16GB cartridge now.
Nintendo's sales are still 50% physical.

Reactions: Xzi

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then there is hope I guess. IIRC PS and Xbox are down to like 15% or 20% physical sales, so I didn't think it'd be that high.
Sony is one of the few Japanese companies who has standardized modern technology. Most of the country is 10 years behind still faxing documents and using tables to format their webpages. A rather large variety of Japanese PC games are still physical.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo goes digital-only with Switch 2. They hate people buying physical games used as much as they hate piracy. Not to mention how few games actually fit on a 16GB cartridge now.
With the cost of flash memory these days I think they could easily do 64GB carts and still come in under the $70 mark. I think the majority of sales for the new system will be continue to be Switch 1 games for a good while though.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
With the cost of flash memory these days I think they could easily do 64GB carts and still come in under the $70 mark. I think the majority of sales for the new system will be continue to be Switch 1 games for a good while though.
Publishers are refusing to utilize even the 32GB cart currently though. The cost difference is negligible, but they don't want anything eating into their profit margins.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol So now your Kendy?