When the Switch2 comes out, do you expect it to have full Switch1 compatibility?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Publishers are refusing to utilize even the 32GB cart currently though. The cost difference is negligible, but they don't want anything eating into their profit margins.
Yeah, it's possible they maintain the margins by increasing the price of the games to match the other consoles.

Reactions: Xzi

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Switch 2 will have any form of BC, knowing Nintendo it will be only with digital games (not physical), because they love to sell you their games at full price.. By some miracle, if the cartridge port in the Switch 2 is the same (or uses the same technology?) as the one in the Switch, they could still charge you to use that feature *somehow* with some BS lock/ drm feature, specially for the ones when you have to DL the game data from their servers.. Of course i could be totally wrong here, just my 2 cents.
I think you're way off base with this.

Nintendo has a pretty good track record for backwards compatibility. On handhelds, the same gameboy cartridges worked on the original gameboy, gameboy pocket, and gameboy advance. Gameboy advance games could still be played on the original DS and DS Lite. And DS games worked great on the DS, DSi, 3DS, and New 3DS. When looking at home consoles, the Gamecube's games were playable on Wii, and Wii games were playable on Wii U.

I feel like you can't go anywhere in public without seeing somebody's kid with a Switch in hand. Parents have invested a lot of money in Switch games, both physical and digital. If upgrading to a Switch 2 means starting their game collection from scratch, it'll be practically dead on arrival. Xbox and Playstation feature backwards compatibility, I can't imagine Nintendo leaving that behind.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's possible they maintain the margins by increasing the price of the games to match the other consoles.
As long as Switch 2 is DLSS capable that's not unreasonable, but I have a feeling they'll increase games to $70 and still keep using the cheapest cartridges, passing the price of storage on to consumers.

Reactions: CoolMe

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If they still Include a cart slot, yes.

if it doesn't then perhaps DD only unless the architecture is significantly different, the latter I doubt if Nvidia is involved.

As long as Switch 2 is DLSS capable that's not unreasonable, but I have a feeling they'll increase games to $70 and still keep using the cheapest cartridges, passing the price of storage on to consumers.

I'd expect the cheapest games to still be a 'code in a box' like we've seen on the switch later in the gen.

Reactions: CoolMe and Xzi

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Even if it does, it wouldn't have the same CFW access or capabilities (at least not immediately), so I wouldn't care.

Hell, I didn't even get my Switch until a year after release because I was annoyed at its lack of backwards compatibility and shit controllers (along with not having any games that interested me), compared to both the 3DS and the Wii U, and by the time I did get a Switch, Atmo had been developed already so I didn't need to wait.

So when the Switch Successor comes out, I'll judge it based on its controllers, its library (exclusive and backwards-compatibility), and CFW access; if need be, I'll wait a year again - it's not like I don't have a backlog of games I'd very much like to play, along with a job and stuff.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm expecting full (or mostly full) backwards compatibility with the original Switch purely for a few reasons:

1. The port is custom and they already got the infrastructure set up so it's cheaper to just keep using it
2. The theoretical maximum size the cartridges can use still hasn't been scratched, meaning it's still fully future proof for the next 6-8 years
3. The cost to make a successor that is not based on ARM hardware and a similar OS would be pretty significant both upfront in raw R&D and in future profits by artificially cutting off current Switch software

From a business standpoint everything points towards keeping backwards compatibility intact just so they can improve their profit margins further and continue capitalizing on their existing success.
Oh, and they stated they want to keep NSO going seamlessly into the successor, so while that could mean just offering it there too with all new offerings, it'd be a much better sell to have everything move over with as little effort as possible.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If they really opted to use a successor of the Tegra chip that the Switch has, I'd be expecting the Power Switch (name not final) to have at least native support for Switch games internally, just like the Wii U had with Gamecube games.

However, they'd be plain stupid if they tried to cut out a theoretically possible backwards compatibility or even worse go digital-only. But seeing how the Gamecube (despite its great library of games) and the Wii U had poor sales, it seems about time for a failing Nintendo console, though I really hope they broke that curse.

Reactions: CoolMe

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think from what I read on some rumors... It will not be hardware BC, but could be emulation?

Unless they toss in some sort of ARM based co processor or if those rumors of an AMD X86 and ARM hybrid chip are true that would offer a combination of hardware and software for backwards compatibility. IF they go that route it would be cool if the chip could run both sets of code at the same time. I guess it would have too for BC reasons?

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think from what I read on some rumors... It will not be hardware BC, but could be emulation?

Unless they toss in some sort of ARM based co processor or if those rumors of an AMD X86 and ARM hybrid chip are true that would offer a combination of hardware and software for backwards compatibility. IF they go that route it would be cool if the chip could run both sets of code at the same time. I guess it would have too for BC reasons?
I never heard any rumors that they planned a Switch 2 x86 (no pun intended). That would give AMD the monopoly over console hardware... neither would I think it would make sense as Nintendo consoles have always had an eco-friendly level of power consumption. x86 just isn't made for that.

That being said, the only SoC rumors I know of are talking about another ARM SoC from Nvidia.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has not demonstrated that they are an intelligent company when it comes to preserving their library of beloved games and making them continually available to their core base, which are fans who grew up with Nintendo and still love all of their older titles.

I HOPE they do the right thing and make the Switch 2 backwards compatible, or at least open up a proper eShop again that has everything they have ever offered, even at their "Fuck you if you think we're ever giving you a discount" pricing.

This is one of the reasons I have no problem being a pirate. If they won't make it available to me, I will.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously hope that if/when a switch 2 comes out that its more along the lines of going from 3DS to "NEW" 3DS. As in a bump in the processor power, maybe more than 32gb of storage (like really nintendo, why did you do that?) Nothing seriously "ground breaking" or else devs will need to work with that new hardware and look what that got the new 3DS.

ANYWAY back to topic, yes it should have full switch 1 backwards compatibility whether physical game card, or digital download.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: