When the Switch2 comes out, do you expect it to have full Switch1 compatibility?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Until the Switch I'd argue Nintendo had got pretty good at backwards compatibility over the last two decades, even more so when their consoles were hacked.

• GBA is backwards compatible with all GB / GBC games.
  • DS / DS Lite are backwards compatible with all GBA games
  • 3DS is backwards compatible with all DS games and has hardware to natively play GBA games via homebrew (without emulation)
  • Wii is backwards compatible with the GameCube unless you buy the models released towards the end of the Wii's life
  • Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii and can play GameCube games without emulation via homebrew.
Certainly in the 3DS era I did quite like some of the VC re releases Nintendo did also, the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon games got fixed up pretty well, WiFi trading and even IR support for the Gen 2 games. With the ability to bring all Pokemon caught over to the current Gen 7 games on the 3DS.

The Switch merged the home console and handheld consoles lines with zero backwards compatibility. Sure we have Switch online which can emulate some past consoles, however I personally find this a poor effort and don't want to subscribe to play old games. I'd sooner buy the few I wish to play out right and own a digital copy packed up nicely for that console.

This is where I do think Nintendo dropped the ball and could have released past VC titles on the Switch, allowing past purchases to be brought to the Switch. I can play digital games I purchased on my 360 in 2005 today in 2023 on the Xbox Series consoles via emulation. With that in mind Nintendo could have done a lot better. Backwards compatibility was very low effort, the same as their current online functionality.

The Switch 2 really needs to be backwards compatible as Nintendo have no reason to start again, I don't think backwards compatibility will be a sure thing this time however.

I already mentioned the Wii and Wii U. I was also talking about N's history with consoles, not handhelds. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably have to config some bs ini file
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Won't read my added nsps either
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I know on Windows Rpsc3 I just install the game and play it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah basically but mgs4 crashes on my 3060 for whatever reason
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then windows gives me an error about patches even though I add them the same exact way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm hoping to see a rpsc3 port for android next year
    Yikes Ken that sucks it works fine on my RX580 lol
    Best 100 dollar GPU ever....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah there should be no reason it doesn't play probably some more Nvidia driver bs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Will say the deck has taught me some good basics of Linux so that's nice
    Try running DDU and doing a clean driver install?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just all the pre config stuff gets so annoying
    Linux is OK, I used to compile my own versions wayyyy back when it would fit on a single floppy disk lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm at the point where I actually buy games
    Then Mandrake Linux on a CD, glorious!!!
    Lol Ken I buy a lot of games sadly 😭 but play old ones
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Of course if it's on sale fuck preorders
    +1
    Rooting around my storage drive right now for more PSP games.... I am far from a PSP expert so I have no idea what games are good on it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta save some money for some healthy work out stuff docs keep yelling at me about my cholesterol I'm like have you seen Nvidia prices tho
    Lol Ken I tend to buy collections on Steam I have all the Tomb Raider games and a lot of those types of collections
    Like Mortal Kombat collection lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomb raider remaster was ass
    I haven't tried it lol
    Hmm I have probably got like 400 steam games now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm past 200
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Think I'm past 200