Not open for further replies.

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pumkinut said:
kLiNiKaL said:
what i've seen of the new GUI for mplayer_ce we dont need XBMC anymore, mplayer_ce GUI is gonna be alot better...
Until you want to view something at greater than 480p.

HD is where everything is moving. I love my Wii, and I live XBMC. I've been using it on two Xbox's for 4 years, and I just built a dedicated HTPC and run Ubuntu based XBMC on that. I gave up the XBox route because of HD content. The Wii, unfortunately, is a non-starter in this arena. I also have a little trouble believing that mplayer_ce will be as easy to set up and get going as XBMC on the XBox on through XBMCLive.

first its pretty sucky to use xbmc on a linux machine since there are much better htcp-options(software) when using a pc , it was just cool because it ran on the xbox1...

what i´d love about a wii-mediacenter is that the wii only sucks 10 WATTS of power per hour , while a pc or 360 suck about 180 WATTS per hour.

if you have to pay energy for yourself and not by your mom/dad then thats a very big argument for the wii...

anyways i´m looking forward to the new m-player!

hd , imo, only makes a difference in highly cgi movies, nomaly i watch these 700MB avi movies like probably everybody here..

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
you just aren't gunna get HD in any form to run smoothly on the wii, it doesn't even run smoothly on the xbox1 aswell as many other codecs/container video's. < Besides that the xbox1 is gigantic, looks stupid and consumes way too much power for what it is. If you wan't HD buy a real media centre and use it, otherwise play you're normal state rips? ...

Oh and if you wan't to look at the draft gui of mplayer_ce just browse the source-checkout, you never know you may read something interesting.

pumkinut

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
goku21temp said:
first its pretty sucky to use xbmc on a linux machine since there are much better htcp-options(software) when using a pc , it was just cool because it ran on the xbox1...
No, it's cool because it's easy to set up and will handle just about any type of codec and/or container you throw at it. It can also act as a front end for MythTV. It's skinnable and very extensible e.g. python scripts to stream youtube, internet TV, weather info, Apple Movie trailers, etc. My mini-ITX system is dual boot (Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows 7). The default boot option is Ubuntu with XBMC running as the only X interface. It boots in about 30 seconds and "just works", plus I get to use a Wiimote to control it. It plays 1080p content without a hitch i.e. no dropped frames or framerate declines thanks to GPU decode offloading. About the only thing that doesn't work on XBMC is Blu-Ray movies, but I rip them to my network anyway. On the Windows side, I can play Blu-Ray movies natively if I want through an external USB attached slim-line BD drive. This setup also allows me to have a full blown PC connected to my HDTV for web-surfing, moderate gaming, whatever.

QUOTE said:
what i´d love about a wii-mediacenter is that the wii only sucks 10 WATTS of power per hour , while a pc or 360 suck about 180 WATTS per hour.
My mini-ITX system, while not sipping a measly 10W, only needs about 60-70W, maybe a little more if I'm playing a 3D game on Windows.

QUOTE said:
if you have to pay energy for yourself and not by your mom/dad then thats a very big argument for the wii...
I'm 37 and own my own house...I pay my own electric bill, thank you very much.

hd , imo, only makes a difference in highly cgi movies, nomaly i watch these 700MB avi movies like probably everybody here..
You're entitled to your opinion, but more and more, my content is moving over to HD. My last DVD was purchased early last year. It's been Blu-Ray disks since, or HD television content, with everything stored on my network. Because of this, the Wii would pale in comparison, and just not work for me. I'm not saying using the Wii as a media-player front-end is a bad thing, it just will not take the place of XBMC.

pumkinut

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kLiNiKaL said:
what is the point of attempting to use XBMC to play HD material on the Wii

you do know the Wii doesnt support HD right? lol

just a thought
In case you missed it, that was my point. Using the Wii as a front end is fine, but it has some pretty significant limitations for anyone with an HDTV that doesn't want to stick with SD content. Plus XBMC on the Wii would be nice for anyone who has used it on the Xbox, because the control scheme and setup would basically be identical.

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Wii hardware physically is limited to 480p.

Xbox1 hardware can output 720p and 1080i.

Whatever the content HD or SD, using Wii on a LCD or Plasma HDTV will never ever look as nice as even the 8 year old Xbox1. Why?

Cos when you set Xbox1 to 720p and play normal SD content, it actually upscales it beautifully to your HDTV.

Thats is something a Wii can never match.

Maybe the question should be why even bother porting XBMC to Wii? Its going to make XBMC looks bad (literally), XBMC deserves a better platform than Wii.

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
While the Xbox1 (NTSC) can output 720p and 1080i with a component cable, XBMC will stutter at 1080i because of the lack of memory.
It also struggles when playing 720p encoded Xvid / DivX content.
But SD playback is perfect.

I just retired my own Xbox1 machine in favor of a ASRock Ion 330 box.
You can find a review of the box at the XBMC homepage.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
DEagleson said:
I just retired my own Xbox1 machine in favor of a ASRock Ion 330 box.

I have one of these, great machine.

Edit : EXCELLENT news on the new bios with the LED kill option. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to stick a bright blue LED on the front of the box needs shooting!

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yes almost every XBMC on Xbox1 user like me know 720p is the best setting, besides 1080i actually lose more resolution than 720p due to interlace.

And of cos you don't expect Xbox1 733MHz CPU to handle HD AVC content but for the scene's normal releases, yes its perfect and I'm still using it.

threestripes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't see how XBMC on the Wii could hold a candle to it on the OG Xbox? I've got three currently spread around my house each with 250Gb HD's added. These all link up to my PC where there are TV, Movie, and Music shares. All have NTSC and 720 outputs. I love it, the missus loves it, the kids love it. In fact, whenever people come round and enquire about why I have an old Xbox sitting next to my Wii, I simply fire it up and let it do the talking.

I love both consoles but would only ever use XBMC on the xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Brazil?