Not open for further replies.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
LightyKD - the solution is simple: don't use it if it ever comes out and stick to one of the mplayer variants. There's no use in complaining about software that doesn't exist anyways.

XBMC was created as a frontend for whatever media the Xbox supported back in the day and that media included games.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
matriculated said:
LightyKD - the solution is simple: don't use it if it ever comes out and stick to one of the mplayer variants. There's no use in complaining about software that doesn't exist anyways.

XBMC was created as a frontend for whatever media the Xbox supported back in the day and that media included games.

I'm not completely hating on it I'm just trying to point out that they way everyone is going about with this thing might not be the logical one. Its known that XBMC uses M-Player as a base. Ok theres a start. We have the ability to use boxarts with the USB loaders, thats another piece of the puzzle. Maybe we should be focused on taking the boxart feature of the USB loader and a new GUI and sticking it in M-Player. It seems a lot easier then trying to port code from another source that might take twice as long to do it.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
LightyKD said:
matriculated said:

I'm not completely hating on it I'm just trying to point out that they way everyone is going about with this thing might not be the logical one. Its known that XBMC uses M-Player as a base. Ok theres a start. We have the ability to use boxarts with the USB loaders, thats another piece of the puzzle. Maybe we should be focused on taking the boxart feature of the USB loader and a new GUI and sticking it in M-Player. It seems a lot easier then trying to port code from another source that might take twice as long to do it.
This.

Mplayer CE will get better for playing stuff. Eventually it will have a kick ass interface. XBMC wasn't magically amazing the day it was created, it's taken a LOT of time and effort to get it where it is today.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here's a suggestion, If infact Mplayer is getting a gui make over, would it be possible to somehow intergrate the XBMC skinning engine so that we can use any of Xbmc's skins?.
XBMC default skin "PM3" I think would work well with the Wiimote or the new skin Blackbolt is making "Ellipsis" would be perfect for the Wii.

And for the people who havent seen the Ellipsis skin...

http://blackbolt.x-scene.com/

You have to admit this skin would look awesome as the Mplayer gui
tongue.gif

wiiman123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ellipsis looks really great.

PM3 would definitely look amazing if you could get it for MPlayer CE. Although a 4:3 version would need to be created as PM3 is designed for 16:9

screenshotu.jpg

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
MPlayer CE does not need a GUI makeover, it needs debugging, debugging, debugging. Right now it still crashes randomly when streaming basic low-res Xvid via SMB.

XBMC is light years ahead because it has dozens of active contributors and a whole army of fans running it on at least four different platforms. It is more robust and feature complete than probably any similar commercial product.

Also, the Xbox version of XBMC is compiled using a pirated Xbox Development Kit, so they have much fuller access to the Xbox hardware than a few GNU tools for Wii that are still very immature.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
MPlayer CE does not need a GUI makeover, it needs debugging, debugging, debugging. Right now it still crashes randomly when streaming basic low-res Xvid via SMB.
send us all a usb gecko each
smile.gif
can't understand it, I never experience crashes and i "only" use smb. I have near enough max speed we can get on the wii for the moment till a modified driver is used with mini, but that's too long to wait, so a speed between 350-550 is good i personally am always hitting 600-630 (630kbps) max.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
Back on topic... If M-Player is indeed getting a new GUI, shouldnt we just simply ask the M-Player crew to stick in the more important XBMC features into their project. I really dont think doing a whole port is necessary when we already have the most important overall feature... media playing. The extra fluff might be easier to tack on to what we already have.
Come on, the team behind mplayer-ce will never get something like even XBMP (the predecessor of XBMC). They are just playing with some sources of the already ported mplayer and other tools to get SMB and such things.
My XBOX is working here since 2002, at the beginning unmodded, then with XBMP, then XBMC, and it's becomming greater with every (SVN) release.
Give it 7 years and we will have some nice Meida Player on the Wii, too.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I still hope for XBMC...I don't realy need Game Loading, for that I have the Loaders. If the others need that, they could probably change something in the source, it shouldn't be that hard...but the whole Media Player is just awesome in the look (look at all the great Skins) and the feel. The best one I've ever seen...I would realy love it, I would even buy it...but sadly...
QUOTE said:
OpenGL wrapper for GX on WII or Gamecube Development is currently on hold until a new maintainer is found.
frown.gif
. I realy hope someone step up and work on this...wouldn't Tantric be a good choice
tongue.gif
? And then I would have to hope that they will realy do a port...huh...looks like it will take ages
frown.gif
. Until then, I'll play around with XBMC on my PC...but I would realy love one for the Wii
wink.gif
. Good things take while, and I hope with the time this will come...

BTW: MPlayer-CE will get a GUI with LibWiiGUi...not more to say...let's keep the comparing between MPlayer-CE and XBMC quiet...this isnt the Topic...the Topic is about XBMC, right?
wink.gif

riahc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
Back on topic... If M-Player is indeed getting a new GUI, shouldnt we just simply ask the M-Player crew to stick in the more important XBMC features into their project. I really dont think doing a whole port is necessary when we already have the most important overall feature... media playing. The extra fluff might be easier to tack on to what we already have.
The MPlayer team is the original idea from which XBMC and MPlayer CE were born from. XBMC based itself on MPlayer and grew from there into a huge project (a dashboard replacement). I was there in the XBMP days and it has grown to a huge scale. I think sooner or later MPlayer CE should looks towards making itself the "WiiPlayer" or (better yet) "Wii Media Center" route and further distance itself from just being a simple MPlayer port to something better and larger.

But all of this takes time and dedication of course.

grox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope also there will be an XBMC for the Wii! Using now still the XBOX form this (but using it less and less because the Wii streams movies great!!)
The only thing is that XOT is in XBMC on the XBOX (for Dutch: uitzendinggemist).

When this will be integrated also (this is an script) this will be the day that I will sell my XBOX. Hope it will be released soon! Really looking forward to this!
But I will not complain; there is so much others already achieved for the Wii, so this will be soon there, i think!

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
i think USBLoaderGX is gonna be OUR xbmc, i myself ama strong advocate of XBMC since i'm a MythTV user.

GX loads HBC apps now, and also channels and games, intergrate mplayer_ce and hey presto
biggrin.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
kLiNiKaL said:
i think USBLoaderGX is gonna be OUR xbmc, i myself ama strong advocate of XBMC since i'm a MythTV user.

GX loads HBC apps now, and also channels and games, intergrate mplayer_ce and hey presto
biggrin.gif
MPlayer-CE isn't XBMC. The creators even said that MPlayer-CE isn't XBMC. Obviously you don't know how XBMC look and feels. XBMC is perfect, it is one perfect piece, not 2 things tacked together, like it would be here. They both aren't that stable (GX is more unstable more than MPlayer-CE, which is pretty stable). Hence, MPlayer-CE even has no random play, no visualisations, no Image displaying, no Scripts support, no GUI (yeah, I know shure well that one is upcoming, belive me. I made the Images. Still it won't be better than the XBMC Surface) and many other things that are in XBMC. And I'm also shure that porting would be easier than coding from the ground.

Summary: MPlayer-CE probably will never be able to replace (completely) XBMC. A port would still be awesome and needed. And some (like me) even don't need games support.

!!! Important: I have nothing against MPlayer-CE, hell, I even contributed what I could to it, and I still use it with pleashure. It's a great piece of Homebrew already, which will get even better. Right now, you can't compare the both, that's it. Compare them in around a few months/a year, when MPlayer-CE has grown !!!

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Compare them in around a few months/a year, when MPlayer-CE has grown !!![/u][/b]
Let's say in 6,5 years (provided that XBMC wouldn't get new features in this time)
tongue.gif

XBMC started in 2002 (XBOX was released in late 2001) as XBMP and houndrads (maybe thousands?) of people are contributing, they also have the full XDK.
The mplayer-ce team used the already ported mplayer (so the hard work was already done) played with the code and added other already coded features (USB and so on), they don't have a full Wii SDK but only libogc which is not nearly as complete as the XDK (IMHO).

Yes, I would like to see a port of XBMC because we can't get anything near XBMC in the next 7 years...

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
grox said:
any update about XBMC for wii????
Is it so hard to go to the first post, search the Link, go to the official XBCM-Forum Thread and look? Is it so hard to read, and then search?
QUOTEGL2GX - Can't get it to work, just exceptions to hell. Without this the endevour to port it will be a big one, not impossible ofc but then I don't think the time taken is worth the gain.
GL2GX (on Hold)

A bit of work saves a post
ph34r.gif
. I'm going even to say we can forget XBMC for Wii (sadly). Live with it, until someone fixes GL2GX, and asks again in the Forums, there's no chance.

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who said we even need a ported xbmc?

i´d rather have a wmbc, custom tailored to the wii...

there just needs to be someone who combines mplayer , usb-loader and triforce in one application with a nice gui ,

the apps available on wii-homebrew are already of much higher quality then any outdated script you find for xbmc... they just need to run inside one application for which we use preloader to automatically boot into the dol

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
what i've seen of the new GUI for mplayer_ce we dont need XBMC anymore, mplayer_ce GUI is gonna be alot better and i'm willing to go on record as saying that even going on the look of a beta

be patient fellas, its worth the wait

pumkinut

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kLiNiKaL said:
what i've seen of the new GUI for mplayer_ce we dont need XBMC anymore, mplayer_ce GUI is gonna be alot better...
Until you want to view something at greater than 480p.

HD is where everything is moving. I love my Wii, and I live XBMC. I've been using it on two Xbox's for 4 years, and I just built a dedicated HTPC and run Ubuntu based XBMC on that. I gave up the XBox route because of HD content. The Wii, unfortunately, is a non-starter in this arena. I also have a little trouble believing that mplayer_ce will be as easy to set up and get going as XBMC on the XBox on through XBMCLive.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kLiNiKaL said:
what i've seen of the new GUI for mplayer_ce we dont need XBMC anymore, mplayer_ce GUI is gonna be alot better and i'm willing to go on record as saying that even going on the look of a beta

be patient fellas, its worth the wait
hmmm, where can i catch a sneak at this new GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder who will survive in prison I wonder who it will be!
    Jared and his blood covered foot long
  • meowie13 @ meowie13:
    hellooo everyone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/7FN990Y lol flip my switch
  • Veho @ Veho:
    How to automate the un-automatable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kind of useless now considering my cat probably has a wifi chip inside it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I guess it's useful if your landlord doesn't let you rewire the apartment or change the switches.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Smart plugs and bulbs are already around the same price
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi power strips even becoming common
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Having a remote servo that can push/pull something for you is still useful.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It could operate a latch.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    On the other hand there are those chandeliers with like 50 lightbulbs and that would be a bit expensive to replace with smart bulbs.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Maybe if your hands are decapitated
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe if I'm lazy.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have a number of geriatric relatives.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Anbernic's SP clone will be $60 and I think I'll buy it. Looks decent enough and it will stop me from drooling over every single new handheld that comes out.
    +2
    It does look fun lol
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I love the GBA SP and this is the GBA SP on steroids. WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI out, two microSD card slots, sleep mode on screen close, it has everything :D
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hey guys. What's new about the Anbernic SP clone?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    They announced the price.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here's an overview:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
    Veho @ Veho: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY