kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
i only see the need for XBMC really if you could intergrate usb loader like the xbox version and launch games and maybe a WebKit browser

but i'm getting ahead of myself here.

stiansoftcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, XBMC was great. But do we really need it for the Wii? A little more work on mPlayer CE, and we've got everything we need.

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is mplayerCE could be set up to have a game launcher or something, XBMC wouldn't be needed, but I don't think that's the plan for it. Now, an integrated browser like Firefox or something could be pretty sweet. And if XBMC was running on a linux type base, updated flash might even be possible. Not that I know anything about programming to help.

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
stiansoftcore said:
Yes, XBMC was great. But do we really need it for the Wii? A little more work on mPlayer CE, and we've got everything we need.

Agree but XMBC has some dozens of nice features

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the wii just wouldn't cut it.. xbmc@xbox was great because of the GREAT upscaling to 720p.. Now you're better of with an nmt (networked media tank) like the popcorn hour.. or still an xbox 1
wink.gif

The wii goes up to 480p, after which the tv has to upscale, which sucks

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
manias said:
the wii just wouldn't cut it.. xbmc@xbox was great because of the GREAT upscaling to 720p.. Now you're better of with an nmt (networked media tank) like the popcorn hour.. or still an xbox 1
wink.gif

True but it will be nice to have

well im debating over iobox or western didgital tv

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
ganons said:
manias said:
wink.gif

True but it will be nice to have

well im debating over iobox or western didgital tv
Xboxes are cheap (I modded 2 on the weekend) but you have to hunt down the remotes and component cables. I ended up spending ~$80/per. You could probably find better deal if you looked hard enough.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont get what everyone's love with XBMC is. Personally I like things the way they are. The Wii is a WII, not a X-Box, not a PSP. I paied 263.80-something (249.99+tax) for the WII experience! I love Nintendo's system menu UI. As for multimedia, M-Player CE would be perfect if it just went through a UI upgrade that supported IR pointing. Seriously, All I want is a version of M-Player that actually had a decent, animated banner channel and a new UI and maybe some better file support. We still dont have decent support for disc with folders.

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand that the quality isn't quite as high for output with the Wii as an XBox, but since I don't waste my bandwidth downloading my TV eps in HD (it's not that important to me) and I watch DVD's that I own through my upscaling DVD player, I would just love an integrated system, in something as tiny as a Wii, and light, and with so few moving parts. Also, I just love making something do things it wasn't supposed to. I just installed a hacked FW on my first PSP last night, and I think it's great. Make things do stuff they shouldn't. It's my favorite.

Dev anything you can. I'm going to try a little Wii coding again, just for fun.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
drmarvin said:
I understand that the quality isn't quite as high for output with the Wii as an XBox, but since I don't waste my bandwidth downloading my TV eps in HD (it's not that important to me) and I watch DVD's that I own through my upscaling DVD player, I would just love an integrated system, in something as tiny as a Wii, and light, and with so few moving parts. Also, I just love making something do things it wasn't supposed to. I just installed a hacked FW on my first PSP last night, and I think it's great. Make things do stuff they shouldn't. It's my favorite.

Dev anything you can. I'm going to try a little Wii coding again, just for fun.
upscaling has nothing to do with downloading tv eps in HD, watch xbmc xbox @ 720p while watching a normal avi

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is going to happen, let this be a Wii application and not a totally new Wii system menu. I want a media center to do just one thing, play media. I dont need a game loader or a web browser stuck into it. If I wanted those things I have the Disc Channel and Internet Channel for the features. I will admit, I do appreciate some of the features of XBMC like movie covers, text previews, things that allow for better organization of my media but I DO NOT want a new system menu.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
drmarvin said:
phrozenfeonix said:
drmarvin said:
...We currently stream downloaded TV with the XBox360...
o.0 what? You mean you view your downloaded tv with it? Streaming means you aren't storing any content aside from possibly a cache...

You can stream video downloaded to your computer over your network to the 360, just like with XBMC, but being about to do that with a Wii would be great.
you can do that with MplayerCE, its just slow. (for me anyways, probably the crap computer i have lol)

also, if a wii version could load up direct like a dashboard on Xbox1 then it'd essentially be a custom system menu as well right? lol

QUOTE(LightyKD @ May 25 2009, 08:44 PM)
I dont get what everyone's love with XBMC is. Personally I like things the way they are. The Wii is a WII, not a X-Box, not a PSP. I paied 263.80-something (249.99+tax) for the WII experience! I love Nintendo's system menu UI. As for multimedia, M-Player CE would be perfect if it just went through a UI upgrade that supported IR pointing. Seriously, All I want is a version of M-Player that actually had a decent, animated banner channel and a new UI and maybe some better file support. We still dont have decent support for disc with folders.

agreed. I can live with Mplayer

although it could do with some better DVD support... of course i have DVDx installed, but for DVDs with menus and options (retail discs) it manages to crash before loading them EVERY time...

personally on xbox i've always used DVD regionX which auto loads any DVD video you have in the disc drive. and finding chapters is so easy. L for back a chapter, R for forwards, B to stop, A to play...

but on Mplayer, navigating a DVD is slow and confusing... and you cant scan through when fast forwarding, only 5-30 seconds or something with no preview of what is in between that time period.

and like i said above, the SMB will work at full speed for about 10 seconds and then major skip and glitch. after 5 mins of pressing the home button constantly it'll go back to the HBC. but i also said, the SMB problems may be just my computer, and the fact that the anime i'm watching is in alot of subfolders lol

EDIT: just saw what LightyKD said about a new system menu XD
EDIT2: ... @ QKid below

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UranusKiller said:
the lot of yas really are talking "ambitious" it isn't going to happen, a basic port *possibly* nothing more nothing less.
Any way, why would you want game loaders/browsers with it? it's for media nothing else. just isn't happening, sorry to spoil the party.

so optimistic.

they said the USB Loader was impossible at one point also... and now look at that!

i realise that this would be an insanely different project to take on. and if memory space is required there is HDD/ USB access for homebrew now so there really is no issue with that (i meant it could be used for program files, i dont know how big XBMC is as i never had it
tongue.gif
)

QUOTE(PNo4 @ May 25 2009, 11:03 PM) Xbox 1: $360-375
ohmy.gif

Xbox360: $240 and up depending on SKU.
ohmy.gif
what the hell?? why is an XBOX1 more expensive than XBOX360??

my mates laugh at me when i say XBOX1... lol

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
matriculated said:
Xboxes are cheap (I modded 2 on the weekend) but you have to hunt down the remotes and component cables. I ended up spending ~$80/per. You could probably find better deal if you looked hard enough.

Checked around today...

Xbox 1: $260-375
ohmy.gif

Xbox360: $240 and up depending on SKU.

There is no shop anywhere selling Xbox1 for $80 or even close where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: How you doing today K3Nv2?