Homebrew Bootmii Not Working

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really want to extract my nand to play on Dolphin/Retro Rewind but every time I try to load Bootmii it just sends me straight back to Priiloader, I am on IOS80 v54321 so idk if that has anything to do with it. I have tried loading bootmii through the normal way in the homebrew channel, loading it through Priiloader, and running it through DacoTacos Bootmii Booter. It's not set to Boot2, but even when it is it just bypasses bootmii and goes to the wii menu completely ignoring it. I have also reinstalled Bootmii countless times through the hackmii installer to no avail. If there's another method/application I could use to extract the nand, that would be awesome! My SD card is a good 15 years old and it's the standard 2GB Wii one but it works just fine. My PC has no problem detecting it or anything and I have never had any issues. So I am doubtful it is that but open to trying any diagnosis on it if necessary. I have tried to change the video mode in the bootmii.ini file to NTSC and still nothing. I have done a solid amount of research online and nothing has sorted it as to why I am here lol. It is FAT32 format and I just tried completely reformatting it this morning and that didn't make a difference. If you have anything complicated to suggest regarding iOS. Please go slow with me and make it easy to understand if possible. I have been in the modding scene for a while but there are things that I don't understand fully and is a bit confusing. For some reason I am someone who seems to always run into some sort of issue that no one else has and man it's annoying lmao. Worst case scenario I do have soldering skills and have modded Xbox 360s in the past with no issue, so if there is some sort of nand reader I could solder to the system and get it that way, I would do it but would obviously need the info for that and that’s like a last resort resolution so yeah any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :) EDIT: Just noticed that for some reason, changing the video mode from Progressive to NTSC is not saving. When I save it and remove my SD card and put it back in my PC, it goes back to Progressive, so maybe that is it? I feel if it was a display issue though, it would just stick to a black screen and not just instantly go back to Priiloader. I'm not sure. EDIT2: Got it to save by manually ejecting and same problem. :( EDIT3: I would like to add I installed a custom theme years ago. I don't remember what I used exactly, has had to of been at least 6-7 years ago. Just wanting to add anything I possibly can to get some help. From doing research it looks like modded wii themes can screw up Bootmii from the IOS manipulation. EDIT4: Bought a brand new 32GB SD card just to rule that potential issue out and same problem sadly lol. EDIT5: *SOLVED* For anyone that potentially sees this in the future, I could not get BootMii working.. BUT I was able to use DumpMiiNand as a substitute and it worked just fine! Link here! https://oscwii.org/library/app/DmpMiNND Huge shoutout to XFlak for all the help! If I get Bootmii working, I will update this!

Last edited by DevnM11,

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone that can help me with this feel free to add me on Discord (DevnM11). If you can resolve this for me, I’ll be happy to pay whoever.

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know someone who knows a lot about BootMii and NAND backups.

@XFlak, are you there?
I appreciate it! I could easily just buy a new Wii for cheap with a broken drive or something for the nand purely but I hate giving up on things. I would have a huge degree of satisfaction if I can understand the problem and get it fixed lol.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, preliminary matter. Bootmii is a low level hack of how the Wii boots. It replaces the proprietary boot firmware with something that says [look for file to boot instead, on SD]. If it's installed boot2, it's happening before the Wii gets to the IOSes we talk about. If bootmii is installed as an IOS, it's a bit later in the boot process but still rather early.

So, did you keep the necessary bootmii files on the SD?

I don't know anything about custom themes other than to say improper attempts to remove them can lead to bricks.

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, preliminary matter. Bootmii is a low level hack of how the Wii boots. It replaces the proprietary boot firmware with something that says [look for file to boot instead, on SD]. If it's installed boot2, it's happening before the Wii gets to the IOSes we talk about. If bootmii is installed as an IOS, it's a bit later in the boot process but still rather early.

So, did you keep the necessary bootmii files on the SD?

I don't know anything about custom themes other than to say improper attempts to remove them can lead to bricks.
Good to know so assuming that could rule out the custom theme to be an issue. As for bootmii. I installed it with the hackmii installer and from what I'm aware that should install all the necessary files. Also tried just manually downloading the files online and installing it that way. I have a Bootmii folder on the root of my SD card with the files in there (armboot.bin, bootmii.ini, and ppcboot.elf). If there is some other Bootmii files I need to look for, please let me know! It has been a while since I've had it set to boot2 and my memory is a bit foggy on exactly what happened. Gonna try it again in a bit and report back on what happens but from memory it would just go straight to the Wii menu upon boot.

Last edited by DevnM11,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
try running Casper2bootmii.bat from ModMii's support folder, it can help even virgin wii's launch bootmii without installing it via an exploit

the fact that you said bootmii.ini isn't saving is leading me to believe it's an sd card issue, or write-lock-protected or something, but u said u tried a dif SD, so unlikely...

you could also use DumpMiiNand, it's supposed to create an identical file to bootmii's nand.bin, but if you can't access bootmii to restore it, it really only solves your immediate issue and doesn't do much should the need arise to ever actually restore it https://oscwii.org/library/app/DmpMiNND

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@XFlak Was trying to direct reply to what you said but getting hit with "anti-spam". Assuming from that link, but I was able to get it to save just fine, just had to manually eject it and that did the trick. For this casper bat file, can you give me a link on where to get that? In the meantime doing my own research on it haha. I seriously appreciate your time and help!

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://modmii.github.io/
Post automatically merged:

So u managed to launch bootmii successfully?
No. Was just saying I was able to save things to my SD card by manually ejecting.

https://modmii.github.io/

So u managed to launch bootmii successfully?
Upon launching the Casper bat file I am getting

'ModMii.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
FINDSTR: Cannot open temp\ModMii_CMD_LINE_Log.txt

Downloads Failed, press any key to exit

Originally tried just launching it on my desktop and then tried launching it on my SD card. Tried launching as admin aswell. All gives me the same error. EDIT: I'm dumb, didn't realize I had to keep it in the support folder. Sorry lol.

@XFlak Ok so I used the casper bat file and it downloaded everything successfully, I then took everything that was in the "copy to sd" folder and put it on the root of my SD card, making sure to replace everything. I then attempted to launch bootmii through the homebrew channel and same issue. Is there something else I am supposed to do?

Last edited by DevnM11,

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start Casper from the hbc, or launch any exploit
First tried to just launch casper. It launched shows me the SD path and quits out and goes right back to priiloader. Tried using the letterbomb hack again, upon launching it, it goes to casper and exact same thing happens. Idk why the hell this is such a problem man. So aggravating lmao.

Using dumpmiinand now. Seems to be working just fine. So hopefully this will work on dolphin. If so we are good to go. Kind of annoyed I didn't find this before lol.

Last edited by DevnM11,
Reactions: SaulFabre

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's so thishttps://wiibrew.org/wiki/RealWnD
Plus xyyzy for keys

And dumping your nand direct to emunand using gx

But it's strange u can't access bootmii

Edit:
Syscheck?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/
Still waitin for this nand dump and I will forsure do that! I appreciate all your help man seriously! But yeah I have no clue! An actually phenomenon goin on here lmao.

There's so thishttps://wiibrew.org/wiki/RealWnD
Plus xyyzy for keys

And dumping your nand direct to emunand using gx

But it's strange u can't access bootmii

Edit:
Syscheck?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/
SysCheck ME v2.5.0 by blackb0x, JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 51518715
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: Unknown (53)
Boot2 v4
Found 97 titles.
Found 51 IOS on this console. 10 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[37] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[56] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS251[58] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 03/14/2024.

Weird it shows IOS80 in Priiloader and IOS80 v54321in Multi Mod Manager. Oh and no ios was checked for more than 5 seconds. Seemed to check everything pretty smoothly.

The NAND I retrieved from DumpMiiNand seems to be working great on Dolphin so I am happy! Thank you so much! @XFlak I would of never figured this out on my own lol. If you find anything wrong with my system check log please lemme know tho!

Last edited by DevnM11,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Plenty wrong with your syscheck, if u want to sort it out, drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do

Edit: nothing that should be causing the bootmii issues u describe though... hmmm, if u have a bootmii.ini file maybe delete it entirely, it's possible u have it configured to launch the system menu after x seconds

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plenty wrong with your syscheck, if u want to sort it out, drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do

Edit: nothing that should be causing the bootmii issues u describe though... hmmm, if u have a bootmii.ini file maybe delete it entirely, it's possible u have it configured to launch the system menu after x seconds
I’m pretty sure I’ve done that before. I’ll try it when I wake though. Are you 100% positive there’s nothing in the syscheck that could be messing with Bootmii? Cause I don’t have a problem following what ModMii says just in case.

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow modmii's syscheck updater wizard to address other issues

For bootmii, look inside your bootmii folder and see if you have a bootmii.ini config file, if u do, share it here and we'll see if that's the issue
Inside my bootmii.ini is

VIDEO=NTSC
AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU
BOOTDELAY=10

Have tried both progressive and ntsc with no change.

DevnM11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erase the line that says AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU

Edit: for video mode, try all 4 available options, hopefully one will work

NTSC
PAL50
PAL60
PROGRESSIVE

For more information, see the Overview section of this page https://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii_Configuration_Editor
No luck. I did notice something tho.. idk if this is helpful but when launching casper it says ios flags 254 v65281 and after that it just quits out. Edit: Is there like a debugger tool anywhere? That would be handy in being able to tell exactly what's happening.

Last edited by DevnM11,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto