Hacking Can anyone help me identify these Wii-U files?

XRGBFanatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean we won't have access to cdn. we can create installers for retail discs, so don't worry.

There are patches and DLC and download exclusives that cannot be found on retail disk images.

So take advantage of it still being there and use it. Then instead of copying them to a Wii U when downloaded just copy them to a storage drive and keep them forever.

That works for now, but what about in 5, 10 years time when the eshop is gone? Ideally I'd like to preserve access to this content forever.

but, this is going off topic, can I use the files I've downloaded or are the just duds?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remember: tik2sd will even dump the ticket of the disc inside the disc tray. afaik, you just have to tweak that to make an installable file that will work.

XRGBFanatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what you mean, I've already been able to successfully dump my store bought disk games, I just want to figure out how to use these files I've downloaded.

XRGBFanatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Paranoia is the feeling that you're being threatened in some way, such as people watching you or acting against you, even though there's no proof that it's true. I'm not being paranoid, if anything I'm being over-cautious, but the Wii U eshop WILL close sooner or later.

XRGBFanatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something, the content that Wii U USB helper downloads comes direct from Nintendo's servers, so it won't work after the eShop is turned off, unless Nintendo leave the servers up just for pirates, which seems rather unlikely.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eh?? Once you download the content it is yours.... It does not rely on any servers being active for you to use it! I'm not sure where you get your information from but I have to say it is completely misinformed I'm afraid!

Once the servers are off, you will not be able to access it.... Hence why we have told you to get what you can while you can.
If you want eternal access to it online, you are free to set that up yourself of course!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're worrying too much over what might happen. btw, those files of yours appear to be encrypted, so they will not install anyway. whoever put that torrent together didn't know what they were doing. encrypted files will not have the app extension but will be named the same thing.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

XRGBFanatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eh?? Once you download the content it is yours.... It does not rely on any servers being active for you to use it! I'm not sure where you get your information from but I have to say it is completely misinformed I'm afraid!

So unless we can preserve this information somewhere other than Nintendo's servers, one day it will be gone for good, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

you're worrying too much over what might happen

Tell that to folks who now want to play e-shop games from the Wii like Castlevania Rebirth.

btw, those files of yours appear to be encrypted, so they will not install anyway.

Ok but I have the title keys and my consoles key, there's no way to decrypt them?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a large chunk of the wiiware collection (all regions). I downloaded it from the wiiso before that network shut down. I wouldn't worry, because nintendo is likely to say something, giving you time to download everything. this is what I put together for all games installed that I bought and all games I didn't:

upload_2020-10-25_16-49-41.png

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
There are patches and DLC and download exclusives that cannot be found on retail disk images.

That works for now, but what about in 5, 10 years time when the eshop is gone? Ideally I'd like to preserve access to this content forever.

but, this is going off topic, can I use the files I've downloaded or are the just duds?

Thats why I said download and KEEP the files. How is that different to what you are doing now? The difference is you know these ones work.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't do that with wiiware, but I did with ps3 and 4. I kept the pkg files on multiple hdds. I only play new super mario bros wii and dkc returns while on cbhc. I don't play any other games I don't own, so I may only download what I bought.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
That tool is extremely useful but it downloads content directly from Nintendo's Store, which will be shut off at some point in the not too distant future. My aim is to ensure I can still access this content after that date.
I don't know where you heard or read that, but nintendo doesn't plan atm to shutdown the eshop or gaming "servers". And don't worry about their cdn. Someone from the internet will exactly do this. I mean, download all games from their cdn and keeping it on his/her computer.

Reactions: Alexander1970

XRGBFanatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My aim was to have a complete archive, because I do not know what I might need access to in years time, when the original e-shop has closed down.

Perhaps archiving and preserving video games is of no interest to you and that's fine, but surely you can understand where I'm coming from?

Anyway, if there's no way to decrypt or use the files I've downloaded I guess that's it then.

I don't know where you heard or read that, but nintendo doesn't plan atm to shutdown the eshop or gaming "servers". And don't worry about their cdn. Someone from the internet will exactly do this. I mean, download all games from their cdn and keeping it on his/her computer.

Let's hope so or very many files will be lost forever. As I've said previously, obviously it will happen eventually and since the Wii-U was not a success like the Wii, probably sooner than happened with the Wii.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how it works on the wii, but it does give a 404 error with the ticket if downloading with nus. the wii u/possibly wii as well use fake tickets, but you may need certain things from the ticket. I wouldn't worry quite yet.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
My aim was to have a complete archive, because I do not know what I might need access to in years time, when the original e-shop has closed down.

Perhaps archiving and preserving video games is of no interest to you and that's fine, but surely you can understand where I'm coming from?

Anyway, if there's no way to decrypt or use the files I've downloaded I guess that's it then.

Let's hope so or very many files will be lost forever. As I've said previously, obviously it will happen eventually and since the Wii-U was not a success like the Wii, probably sooner than happened with the Wii.

You can archive the downloads from Wii U USB Helper

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to turn those raw files into decryptable format. when I downloaded from nus without a ticket, they came out like that (no .app/.h3).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to reply, it's very much appreciated.

The files are not recognised by the WUP installer.

So how do I obtain h3 files? I'm not asking for a link or anything, but I assume I can't use a tool to make them?

Ok, what is the purpose of this the torrent I have then, if you do not mind me asking? Why would anyone put up a torrent full of missing files? Just to troll newbies?

I'm well aware what I'm doing here is piracy I do not deny it.

I used the Coldboot Haxchi method.

Yes I looked at that but I still don't understand how to use these files.

That tool is extremely useful but it downloads content directly from Nintendo's Store, which will be shut off at some point in the not too distant future. My aim is to ensure I can still access this content after that date.
There is nothing missing, you downloaded files in CDN format... The way the Wii U installs content from CDN is different from how it installs content from a SD card.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Poor and jaundiced is he!