N64 VC Judder/Stutter

chookstata

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently modded my wii to play N64 games on VC, but all of the n64 games that I load up *Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask* have this weird juddering. This issue almost seems like a frame pacing issue, and at first I thought that it might just be a problem with these VC games, but after checking out some youtube videos of people playing these games on Wii VC they don't have these problems. I also tested Majora's Mask by loading the collectors edition version through Nintendont and it doesn't have the juddering issue like the VC version. I would just play the collectors version but speedrunning these games require the VC versions. I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Edit: I made sure that I am using NTSC wads and that the wii is NTSC.
Edit 2: I tried another wad file of the same games to make sure the roms were not corrupted, but this did not solve anything. Also, the Ocarina of Time juddering goes away if I pause and unpause but this solution does not work on Majora's Mask.

Last edited by chookstata,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your edit addresses my first thought.

My second thought is: my setup involves using an emunand to play various VC games, to overcome the Wii's internal storage limitations. Emunand, particularly when using neek2o (as you have to for Majora's Mask, if it's on emunand), has its own video settings.

If you're doing that, is your emunand NTSC and configured properly?

When I first set up, I actually boot into the emunand to set video settings.

chookstata

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your edit addresses my first thought.

My second thought is: my setup involves using an emunand to play various VC games, to overcome the Wii's internal storage limitations. Emunand, particularly when using neek2o (as you have to for Majora's Mask, if it's on emunand), has its own video settings.

If you're doing that, is your emunand NTSC and configured properly?

When I first set up, I actually boot into the emunand to set video settings.
Thanks for the advice, but I haven't set up emunand on my wii yet. One weird thing about this problem that I just recently found is that if I pause in Ocarina of Time VC and unpause then the juddering goes away, but this "fix" does not work in Majoras Mask. I also installed other wads of these same games to see if maybe the roms were corrupted but this didn't solve anything either.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The in-emulator pause (to clarify, pressing start or pressing HOME?) fixing the issue in one game seems very strange to me. It's probably worth testing more widely - you said 'all' of the N64 games show this behavior, but have you tried very many? Try some less-demanding games. Mario Kart 64 VC on moo moo farm appears to have uncapped framerate, so I think of it as a convenient performance test for a Wii. I wonder if your hardware is impaired in some way, such that it's choking a bit. Bear in mind I don't even know if the Wii does that, under such circumstances.

I have no other specific advice, so general troubleshooting: disable non-default settings and features. Custom Wii menus? Overlays? Cheat software? I assume you're testing this from a wad installed to the system menu, from the system menu, to rule out a loader (many of which have settings that can affect how Wiiware loads/performs).

Last edited by Exidous,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...