Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Infinite Zero said:
who cares??
smileipb2.png
it's repetitive but the pokemon games are simply fun to play and basically one of the best rpg's from nintendo

Yea, but for how long... i love pokemon, they're one of my favourite games, but after heartgold i'm getting tired of them. HG was extremely boring, they didn't change the storyline at all...maybe that was there intention, but it was a dissapointment...

QUOTE(Blaze163 @ Aug 9 2010, 07:44 AM) Don't even know what the Union Room is. So it can't have been that great. The Pokethalon was a worthy addition I guess but that's a minigame, it doesn't help the main faults at all.

My point exactly, they try, but it's not working.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They simply need to start new.
Do you know why some people pirate Pokemon games?
Because there's no point in spending money on the same damn thing.
If they changed a lot in the Pokemon games, I think more people, including myself, would buy the retail copy.
But forcing a storyline and doing the same story you did in the last game isn't exactly fun, it's a waste.
I have yet to beat HG, SS and Platinum cause I already know the story by heart.
When it gets that repetitive, it's time to start new.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I only really play them for multiplayer battles anymore. Though Black and White look like they might be at least a bit of a breath of fresh air.

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just tired of those stupid questions that allow you to pick 'yes' or 'no'. I thought it was cool at first...until I found out that you could only press yes. What's the point of that?

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
admotonic said:
But is anyone else sick of the same fomula that is used in every pokemon game.That's not even a question, but I'll answer it anyway: no. Simple as that. The formula stays because it works, and as DarkWay said, don't fix something that isn't broken. Also, I don't see any other RPG series drastically changing their formula either, so you could start hating on them as well.

Lunatics said:
Personally my problems with the pokemon games are all of the excessive new pokemon that are bassically just copies of older pokemon with a different sprite to represent them. If they would just add maybe 10-20 new pokemon per game and a legendary or two and focused more on bran new places and environments I would like it a lot more.

I will say though that the whole Team Rocket/magma/galactic or whatever the hell they are now trying to always take over the world is in fact getting a little old.

R/B/Y are still the best out of any of them though.They aren't copies of others. They have new abilities, new strengths and weaknesses, new moves, and so forth. Adding only 20 Pokémon per game would make people think the games are a huge ripoff (which they would be), because who would want to pay for a game that only offers slightly more content than the previous one (disregard the upgrade games here)? I most certainly wouldn't.

Again, the formula works so there is no need to change it. And Pokémon is a game for kids, has always been and will always be, so the kids need to understand what the story is all about (so if you were to add a complicated story, no kid would play it anymore because they wouldn't be able to make heads nor tails to what's happening).

Heh. Suuure. Have you actually played all games yet?

phoenixgoddess27 said:
It'd be great if the storyline wasn't so forced.
It needs to be a bit more non-linear, if it's gonna be repetitive, at least give us more than one story to follow.

They keep adding new things except a damn different story.The kids the kids the kids.

QUOTE(felixsrg @ Aug 9 2010, 10:46 AM) I don't really get how every pokemon game can be so popular either, it's just like you must do what the game tells you because if you don't you aren't going anywhere else, and it's always the same gims, the same HMs, the same attacks and in the end the same game. That's why so many people actually like the TCG and Ranger ones, they were something different. Of course as OP says the games aren't bad, they're just so linear and repetitive.
RPG series generalised: it's always the same gims, the same kind of monsters, the same personalities of the protagonists, the same moves and in the end the same game. Next?

I haven't heard of anyone liking TCG or Ranger that much either. TCG is just cards and is only fit for a niche market, Ranger is basically drawing circles on the screen (which essentially is just a big minigame), the other offspins aren't that popular either, only the main series is. Because they are good games, whether you like it or not.

QUOTE(westarrr @ Aug 9 2010, 01:39 PM)
There isnt any difference with the pokemon games except the pokemons themselves, and those LITTLE extras that u hardly recognize...

Ive got this problem that teh game bores me when i hit 7th gym, because then you need to grind too much, and pokemon grinding sux... oh yeah, and also ive got the feeling it gets really rushy at that time... big level difference between areas, story fucks up and stuff
Bullshit. You haven't played any of the latest games, that's for sure.

If you need to grind at the 7th Gym, or even at the Pokémon League, you just suck at Pokémon. Simple as that. And you most likely lack any form of strategy, too. There are NO big level differences between areas, most of the times the Pokémon are only a couple of levels higher than the previous Pokémon. The story doesn't fuck up either. It never fucks up. Remember the kids.

Continued in the next post due to quote limit.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
phoenixgoddess27 said:
They simply need to start anew.
I have yet to beat HG, SS and Platinum cause I already know the story by heart.
When it gets that repetitive, it's time to start anew.HeartGold and SoulSilver are remakes, but even then their story is different from the original games (though that only really becomes noticeable as you further progress). Platinum is the upgrade game to Diamond and Pearl, just like Yellow was to Red and Blue (and Green), just like Crystal was to Gold and Silver, just like Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire. Did you hate on those games? No. Did they have a different story from the two previous games? Yes. Does Platinum have a different story from Diamond and Pearl? Yes. The stories are similar, that's for sure; they're set in the same region after all. But there are a great many differences between them, both subtle and very noticeable.

QUOTE(jimwhat @ Aug 9 2010, 09:30 PM) I'm just tired of those stupid questions that allow you to pick 'yes' or 'no'. I thought it was cool at first...until I found out that you could only press yes. What's the point of that?
The kids the kids the kids.

At anyone else who would like to give this a shot: *points at sig*

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play pokemon alot, nor am I a huge fan (though i used to be), but the formula is traditional, and it works. If you're sick of it, than too bad. It's alot of fun with friends and family playing with you. I just don't like all of the new Pokemon, it looks like they ran out of good ideas..

Ulttimaa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
>Ellie's posts

Holy fuck, somebody that actually PLAYED all of the games.

Seriously, to say that each of the games in the series is the exact same is ridiculous. Gen 2 brought the split of the Special stat, two new types to balance the game, and also allowed you to go back to the older gyms of Kanto. Gen 3 brought Natures and Abilities, and also capped and limited EV's. Gen 4 Split the Physical/Special moves based on the move, instead of type.

And of course new moves, abilities, and pokemon each generation. Play past the first gym before judging a game. Each new set of pokemon are NOT the same as the last set, if you actually LOOKED into the Pokemon. Also, lol@the lacking character comment of the new pokemon. Sure, Magnemite and Voltorb had a LOT of character.

Fail thread. If you don't enjoy the games, don't play them. I don't see why people feel the need to practically insult the series and say that nothing changes each gen, even when there are changes that deeply impact the battle system.

Also, rofl@everyone saying that RBY were the best. Nostalgiafaggotry at it's finest.

dobz

Trophies
XP
Country
Ellie (WOW), Ulttimaa

Two people who sure do liek their pokemanz lol

... And i mostly agree with you two. It pisses me off hearing "oh, noes! All the pokemon are rippoffs" "they all look shit compared to the originals"etc.
Actually fucking take a look at the pokemon from the 1st/2nd gen, some suck, some good, just like B/W, why can't you people see that.

For the more mature players i do sympathise with wanting a different story that isn't the usual team -whatever- plot (although complaining about the remakes is dumb), BUT that doesn't mean i'll ignore the stuff they actually have changed/improved and am happy with.

In response to a few of Blaze's points -
- Your point about triple battles being an unsubstantial change is just ignorance, actually read about the details! once you have, i think you'll find those changes are there to appease the adults, not the fucking kids who'd lap up the same old shit.
- You say why was colosseum never fully explored? i'd say it was and was just never that good to bother continuing with.
Sure, PBR was a steaming pile of shit on the Wii though, i'd of preferred a properly scaled up of version of the stadium games, not colosseum...
The main game will always be better on a portable imo.
- The pokemon sounds.. honestly, who cares about that. I wouldn't want them yelling their names, it seems ridiculous (fuck the anime, i stopped watching that years ago).
- I agree with you with the not caring/worrying about the effort values and that shit, it's tiresome (having to train against specific pokemon and that crap).
But after saying that, i do care about the natures and characteristics which aren't as bothersome (at least, to me it isn't lol) and worth doing for extra strategy.

Don't hate people, just ignore it if it doesn't reach your silly expectations, (at least play them first) jesus!

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a cash cow so they won't stop selling them till atleast all the parents stop buying their kids the game but i've moved on to DQM series myself(it's my prefered catching monster game)aside from the pokemon series being stale the most annoying thing is how they release 2 games up front then down the road release a 3rd game,so some people actually end up buying 3 versions of the same game
laugh.gif

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
admotonic said:
Don't get me wrong, the pokemon games aren't bad. But is anyone else sick of the same fomula that is used in every pokemon game. OK they may make the graphics better and add slightly better multi player and new pokemon, but in the end they are basically the same game. But the main thing I am sick of is the popularity of them. Like I said the games aren't bad but how can people continuously rate them one of the best nintendo games since they first came out when they haven't changed much?
What are others thoughts on this?
The reason why people say "why is pokemon always the same game" is b/c they want to see a change in the game. But when they see the change they are like, "WTF is this? This isn't pokemon, why did Nintendo do this to pokemon." This always happens... TO EVERY GAME THAT CHANGES THERE MECHANICS(well good games anyways.) I mean every Mario game is about the same but no one complains about that do they.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the fact that the pokemon FINALLY move in battle. (Instead of looking like statues), but god.......the new Pokemon look horrible =/. I got a feeling this is gonna be the last Generation (Or atleast the one that happens before they jump the shark)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every Mario platform game has new level design and powerup gimmicks. Even though the formula hasn't changed either, comparing Mario to a turn based RPG is foolish. Pokemon is definitely the worse offender here in terms of stagnation. Mario has a system which relies of clever new level design, instead of outright rebooting the series to create something totally different. Due to this, although the platforming formula may feel similar, every new Mario game feels totally different and imaginative. They put their heart into the level design and create clever platforming challenges to test your skills. Which is more than i can say for sprite swaps and beating the same gym leaders over and over again.

Overall, the real reason Mario games never feel stagnant is due to the level design. They could keep releasing Mario games for years without rebooting the core gameplay mechanics and it would always feel fresh as long as they continue to innovate in the level design and suits. Mario is the perfect example of a series that should never be given any sort of reboot and that can survive and prosper with just platforming innovations. I've not seen anyone who wants to change the Mario formula, and they'd be fools to want to destroy something so successful. In fact, when Nintendo DOES end up trying something new (Sunshine's water pack), people just end up hating it.

Unlike Mario fans, Pokemon fans have been clamoring for a retooling for ages, something fresh. I don't know where you're getting your info about fans being angry about a change in formula.

darkranboria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkWay said:
Don't fix things that aren't broken. Simple as that really.

they have the formula and mechanics down the best thing they can do now is bring it up several notches with a next gen release (not gunna happen).

You got it all wrong. It's fix it until it's broken and then break it some more. It will end up fixed.
8D

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everyone says pokemon should change. Pokemon does have changes, its just that its small but they are noticable.(B/W has double wild battles now! Maybe triple...) I wasn't comparing mario games with pokemon, i was just stating that even though the story of mario ( Big turtle takes peach and mario saves her) is ALWAYS THE SAME, but yet there is no one to complain about that. Also if you didn't realize, that Mario and Pokemon are on different types of consoles, Pokemon is for Nintendo's handheld, and Mario is mostly just Console gaming(unless they port to the handheld.) so you can't say that Gamefreak and them aren't trying their hardest to make a Pokemon game. Everyone tries their hardest and puts all they got into the games they make, pokemon is on a handheld and has their limitation, just wait for the pokemon 3ds to come out.

Also about level design for Mario, same with Pokemon they aren't always taking place in Kanto now are they?
QUOTE said:
In fact, when Nintendo DOES end up trying something new (Sunshine's water pack), people just end up hating it.
This is what i was trying to point out. When Nintendo changes pokemon, people will just end up hating it (As they do to every series with the new pokemon, but in the end people get used to it). Also read most of the comments on this thread, a lot of people want the formula of pokemon to be changed, not just the story. For example, they want battle mechanics to change. I mean if they change that then its not pokemon anymore. It would be just another spinoff of pokemon.

QUOTEI don't know where you're getting your info about fans being angry about a change in formula.

Have you seen that thread about getting metroid or not? There are angry beast on the loose there!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People complain about the story all the time for Mario, where have you been? They don't bother to make an epic story because that's really not the point in a platforming Mario game. The RPG side is where they do a funny and charming story. The story in Mario platformers though is lame, but Nintendo knows it. They purposefully don't try. And if you think people don't complain, just go watch every video review for Mario Galaxy 2. They simply don't focus on that because the point is awesome and creative level design, not story. I think Nintendo KNOWS they'll end up screwing it up if they try a good story.

I've not read the Metroid thread, but this is about Pokemon, not Metroid...

Changes in the battle, if done right, would be a good change. I'm actually somewhat more impressed with Black and White than any Pokemon game before it, so we'll see how that turns out. It's anything between Red/Blue and the new generation that i'm talking about. Obviously i can't judge a game that isn't out yet, and i intend to try it when it arrives (because it looks a bit different this time).

Lastly, i don't agree with your limitations argument at all. If you mean graphically, Pokemon DS games are some of the more primitive DS games i've seen. If you mean something else, i don't know what you're talking about. Gameplay is limited only by creativity.

UnseenHero

The UnseenHero
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I have been a huge pokemon fan since it came out. I grew with it literly..I am 14.... I still love the game and franchise. The thing is you must post challenges for your self or do something to amuse yourself. Example after I beat a game completely. I always try to finish the minigames and BF (Battle Frontier) ALSO I get into very cool pokemon communites where they battle onlien and I get into that.

Pokemon doesn't have to change the formula it is very good. But the fans and players have to change there perspective of the game. And how to play it.

shiningnegro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try this play pokemon plat/ss/hg fresh game beat the main game then go and play dragon quest monsters and just imagine if that you were actually playing pokemon and it made a sudden change think how ppl would deal with it

Cokeman999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shiningnegro said:
Try this play pokemon plat/ss/hg fresh game beat the main game then go and play dragon quest monsters and just imagine if that you were actually playing pokemon and it made a sudden change think how ppl would deal with it
Wow, i've never thought of that.. DWM 1 + 2 + DQMJ were among my favorite games, but indeed, it would be a shame to see pokemon tranform into that.
It may/may not be a better game, but it wouldn't be that same pokemon feel that people want.

Pokemon's story is fine. I've never really cared. If there wasn't gym leaders/team rocket/elite four, what would be a replacement?
Or rather what should be kept? I do think they got carried away with the 400+ pokemon though.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I´m a pkmn fan since I have 9 years old... and I DONT want any changes!!!
If I want something different.... I play another game.
Pokemon is pokemon... leave it that way.

The only thing that gamefreak SHOULD add is a ingame difficult option, so experienced players can have a good challenge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU +1