Two more classic NES titles join the list of fan-made SNES ports

GLOpDIVW4AAxsyH.jpeg

Recently there's been an increased interest in taking classic and beloved Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) titles and porting them over to its more technologically superior brother, the Super Nintendo (SNES).

One of these people, who has already ported quite a few other NES titles to SNES, like the original Megaman and Metroid to name a few, is renowned romhacker and developer infidelity, who has just released a brand-new SNES port, this time taking in the challenge of porting over an NES title that used the exclusive Konami VRC2 mapper, this one being Contra. This includes the entirety of the original games being ported over to the superior SNES hardware, with some slight changes and even MSU-1 music playback.

But infidelity isn't the only romhacker being involved in porting over NES titles to the SNES, as romhacker rumbleminze has also worked on other titles on his own, like Super Dodge Ball, and released another port of a classic NES title, with the title being Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Ranger. This port also supports MSU-1 music playback, and also video playback with the help of the MSU-1 code.

Both infidelity and rumbleminze have created great SNES ports so far, and it's most likely that they'll jump into another NES :arrow: SNES port once they're fonde squeezing out bugs and glitches from their current releases, and while it's still unknown what port infidelity might work on next, rumbleminze has already shared his next title, that one being the original Double Dragon.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whats next? Castlevania 3?
Castlevania 3 is one of the most advanced games on the system; I wouldn't expect that to be up next.

the title being Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Ranger. This port also supports MSU-1 music playback, and also video playback with the help of the MSU-1 code.
So what exactly did they do with this one? Music synthesized with higher quality instrument samples? Carefully-selected clips from the cartoon? It's not like there's a higher-quality port that can be drawn from.

ETA: Looks like it's just the cartoon intro. That's... nice, I guess?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hope this allow new generations to discover those games that mean so much to many of us in terms of beloved memories and joy.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hope this allow new generations to discover those games that mean so much to many of us in terms of beloved memories and joy.
Well... In this case both of these games happen to be readily available for purchase for modern platforms, so there is already ample opportunity for new generations to discover them. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So... You need one of those expensive flashcarts to use this, or can you use a basic one that doesn't support the special chips?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I truly do not understand the appeal of these SNES to NES projects, just seems like a waste of time and resources. How many people have access to only a SNES emulator or hardware, but no access to a NES emulator or hardware?

To me the really wasted opportunity is to not make then SNES remakes instead of plain NES ports.
The entire engine and physics from the original game are there, all that's needed is some graphic flare and you have gold.

Reactions: k7ra and Lostbhoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The home just confuses your wardrobe
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    How are you doing today K3Nv2?
    You did? By whom?
    Ohh, Don't tell me lEOTck did it to you? :O:sad:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah we all know luke is who leo's smashing
    +1
    Oh :shit:! And I didn't get to 📽️ it! :angry::sad::cry: :hateit:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT THAT ULTERIOR MOTIVES WAS FOUND YESTERDAY, AND IT WAS FROM P O R N 💀😭
    +1
    😱 .............................. :evil::tpi::evil:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, what's ulterior motives?
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    it was a lostwave song
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @zeith_7, 1) what's lostwave? 2) give context
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    lostwaves are like songs that became lost
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    they are partially or never found
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    ulterior motives is one of the internets lostwaves
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Ok read the Wikipedia article
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    and basically people were trying to find it for a while after a post with the lost songs only snippet
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @zeith_7, and an obscure norp film had the song
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    correct
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    the orginal snippet was from a pirated verison of the film basically
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    or so i think
  • zeith_7 @ zeith_7:
    i never expected it to get discovered this year/month
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: