• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

On this day 78 years ago, the atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, ending the war

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
OP
Trophies
XP
This is an atrocity that has caused thousands of innocent lives to perish under the flash of light. Even though the perpetrators were the victors, this act should be condemned and we should strive to never have those acts of mass destruction ever again.

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an atrocity that has caused thousands of innocent lives to perish under the flash of light. Even though the perpetrators were the victors, this act should be condemned and we should strive to never have those acts of mass destruction ever again.
Truthfully I have had very mixed opinions on the methods used here. Looking back at it though it was clear that Japan's army was not going to stand down. Their own people wanted them to, but they refused. They were literally sending in suicide bombers just because they were prefer to die rather than be dishonored. That was a wake up call for sure. The atomic bomb showed how quickly the world could end. It showed that there is always a method to end a war. And you need to know when to stand back.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those whom wanna know. Nagasaki wasn't the primary target for the second atomic bomb. It was actually the city of Kokura.

This is why the saying "Luck of Kokura" or "Kokura luck" comes from.
FInally, someone who studied this.

Absolutely correct. It was only weather conditions and lack of visibility that made them change their target, literally in the space of fewer than twenty minutes.

It could have turned out much differently. But, most people never research this, and they only kind of care when it makes the news.

If we do not study history, we are doomed to repeat it.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For those whom wanna know. Nagasaki wasn't the primary target for the second atomic bomb. It was actually the city of Kokura.

This is why the saying "Luck of Kokura" or "Kokura luck" comes from.
What an interesting tidbit.
If we do not study history, we are doomed to repeat it.
Medice, cura te ipsum.
Inally, someone who studied this.

Absolutely correct. It was only weather conditions and lack of visibility that made them change their target, literally in the space of fewer than twenty minutes.

It could have turned out much differently. But, most people never research this, and they only kind of care when it makes the news.
So melodramatic. How different do you think it would have been if kokura had been hit rather than nagasaki?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If you want to illustrate how differently everything could have turned out, maybe mention that some people within the military and the Manhattan project suggested demonstrating the bomb on an unpopulated target to serve as a threat and deterrent, but the bomb was too unreliable and too susceptible to failure or sabotage to risk announcing a demonstration to the entire world. So they decided to do it live.

Reactions: tabzer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Better do videos.

Don't know if I enjoy that or the horror of the vegan set more. On that note as well

Re firebombs. There is more than a nice bit of propaganda about Dresden for the curious here

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Haven't heard of that one before. I guess it doesn't count as Schrödinger's Chicken since you are made aware if it's alive or dead.
I wonder why they couldn't use some thermal mass based solution instead of chickens they hope would survive that long. I mean, if the temperature was so low, there's a real chance they would die to hypothermia too?

Speaking of bizarre WW2 tech: pigeon-guided missiles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So melodramatic. How different do you think it would have been if kokura had been hit rather than nagasaki?

The difference of life and death for the people in Kokura. How would you feel if you found out that you were the intended target of kill-strike, but someone you didn't know took the hit instead? I know I am asking too much, but if you could use your imagination, it's pretty wild.

Lives are just a means to an end, though, right?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I can't believe this is real
The world wars were weird. All sides threw all sort of things at the wall to see what would stick. Anything to get an edge over the enemy forces. Anything that showed promise would then be iterated upon as soon as possible. Field retrofits and hacks were implemented into official designs.

Look up "experimental weapons of WW2" and be amazed.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Well, I can imagine the death toll would be a lot higher if the US needed to land on the main island. In both civilian and military lives.
it's the "let's kill their civilians, including their babies and children to keep our volunteer soldiers alive" philosophy

In the end I don't believe that it was not even that, It was just USA showing their power to the Soviets. They kept doing that for 40 years or so after that anyway.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe Putin is doing what he is doing because the US didn't show enough muscle in the US. Or maybe he's doing what he's doing because of it. What point are you trying to make?

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what Putin or Hitler has to do with civilian genocide in 1945 in Asia?

Their genocides are in other places and times.
It is a question about an analogy in tactics, yes? that's possible isn't it, war crimes being perpetrated at different times in history but sharing the same criminal behaviour?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Purple text in chat :blink: