Feedback Misc Restoring my Wii, Any Recommendations?

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hello everyone, this is first post here.
I own a Rvl-101 wii which has been collection dust for 5 years. recently I got a thing for console games and decided to reincarnate my wii and mod it to run Gamecube as well as n64 and GBA games too. My wii is already modded with homebrew and UsbLoaderGx to run wii games from a portable drive. I do know that this version doesn't have the interface for the GC controller but some mod channels like the nintendont support it with a nun chuck (do note I have the motion plus controller) , I am also deciding to use Wiistation as well for some ps1 games as well. this opens up alot of options for older titles to play with. At the time of typing this my wii needs a complete service after which ill go towards the software stuff.
Would you like to suggest me some Mii channels which can enhance the wii experience or make full utilization of the wii in 2024?
(Attached is a picture of my WIi)

Attachments

• Resized-Image-2024-03-03-13-59-43-4003.jpg
    Resized-Image-2024-03-03-13-59-43-4003.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Wow
Reactions: Blythe93

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Run syscheck, then drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do

Modmii.github.io
Here is the Syscheck :
SysCheck ME v2.5.0 by blackb0x, JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 237480455
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v5
Found 127 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 16 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65280): Stub
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 08/03/2148.
And to my surprise, I already had loaded the nintendont and Not64 already which were running as well. didnt check the GC bcs dont have any Rom yet. Is there anything else I should do ?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Feed your syscheck to modmii, you're missing priiloader and bootmii ios (maybe boot2 and nand backup, can't tell)

Your cios's are out of date, but I note that your using v10 beta53 alt in slot 249, if after updating cios you have issues detecting games on your hdd you'll want to switch to that version in Modmii's settings and re-feed it a second time to modmii

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
You can also try installing some enhancements for Wii, such RiiConnect24, WiiLink, the Wiimmfi Patcher for keep playing Nintendo WFC games online in 2024, and like @XFlak said, protection such Priiloader and BootMii.

For WADs, it's highly recommendable to use the new, modern YAWMM ModMii Edition. It's the best WAD manager made for the Wii.

ModMii will help you with updating your Wii mods and also to get more homebrew apps.
http://modmii.github.io

You can also get WADs for Wii Channels, WiiWare digital games and, of course, some Virtual Console games, either official, injected or even Single ROM Loaders.

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Feed your syscheck to modmii, you're missing priiloader and bootmii ios (maybe boot2 and nand backup, can't tell)

Your cios's are out of date, but I note that your using v10 beta53 alt in slot 249, if after updating cios you have issues detecting games on your hdd you'll want to switch to that version in Modmii's settings and re-feed it a second time to modmii
Hey , Yes, I fed the sys file into the modmii and downloaded all the latest file. I'll update it tomorrow and inform here. Thanks for the neat little software you made.
Post automatically merged:

You can also try installing some enhancements for Wii, such RiiConnect24, WiiLink, the Wiimmfi Patcher for keep playing Nintendo WFC games online in 2024, and like @XFlak said, protection such Priiloader and BootMii.

For WADs, it's highly recommendable to use the new, modern YAWMM ModMii Edition. It's the best WAD manager made for the Wii.

ModMii will help you with updating your Wii mods and also to get more homebrew apps.

You can also get WADs for Wii Channels, WiiWare digital games and, of course, some Virtual Console games, either official, injected or even Single ROM Loaders.
I am a little scared with the whole WAD installation as they are prone to bricking the wii . Can you tell me more about the virtual consoles?

Reactions: SaulFabre

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
You're welcome :)

The wads u get from modmii aren't anything to worry about. VC/wiiware can get installed to emunand for safety. Your modmii guide "after modding" section I think has more info on that plus neek and other things
Ohh thats good to hear, I will make a nand backup before doing anything else. Also one question, the last part on the modmii guide instructs to install the hombrew, do I still have to follow that as I already have one installed ? The way I will launch YAWM and stuff?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Can you tell me more about the virtual consoles?
And let's not forget about your question about VC.
VC is the Virtual Console abreviature, which in fact was a Nintendo feature introduced on Wii (but also on Wii U and 3DS) which allowed users to buy/get classic retro/old-school games from past systems, for play them on the Wii, even when offline (unlike the actual retro games catalog from NSO/Nintendo Switch Online).

Over the years, countless people figured out also how to modify VC games to insert another roms to those VC releases, calling them "injects".

Originally only 5 systems were avaliable on the Wii VC, NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and TurboGrafx-16, but later also added more systems such Sega Master System, Commodore 64 (USA and Europe only), MSX (Japan only), TurboGrafx-16 CD, NeoGeo and some arcade games in the Virtual Console Arcade.

In the last years, iNJECTS along with SRLs (Single ROM Loaders via homebrew emulators) became popular on all three systems (Wii, Wii U and 3DS), which means some people made more advanced tools for injecting into VC releases for almost all systems, but also tutorials for do it by yourself, if you like.
Just look at FriishProduce, NSUI 3DS, UWUVCI AIO, and other tools.

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To play GC games just buy one of those classic controllers. They hook up to the back of the Wii motion +
Another thing
You have a Wii motion +
You need an 3rd party remote ( off brand remote) otherwise you can't run anything.
These remotes eat the living cells out of batteries no matter the brand batteries, the cheaper the battery the shower the fuse (lol) -um anyway
So no high brand name remote, that includes Enezier

This all can be bought from
Amazon Ebay GaneStop ebganes
I got mines from Amazon and it was very cheap

Rumor has it you can use a classic controller plus :-?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
At OP: First of all... clean that ashtray you call a Wii. I'm assuming it's equally horrible in the insides. So, take it apart and clean it, if there's dust on Capcacitors, they might overheat, reducing the lifespan of your ashtray.
Once you've cleaned properly everything inside, it's time for the software side of things.

First, "rehack" your Wii by using any method of your choice. By "rehacking" you'll update the Homebrew Channel, which is very important. After you've reinstalled the Homebrew Channel, make sure to install PriiLoader (avoid BETA versions) and BootMii.
Make a NAND copy with BootMii, and make sure you can access PriiLoader by holding RESET while turning on your Wii.
Then, install cIOS d2X. Some people say you no longer need to install Waninkoko's and Hermes cIOS, but I personally never had a problem with my Wii and I strongly believe it's thanks to those two cIOS (Waninkoko + Hermes + d2X) so I can't recommend this enought, but I do suggest people to install Waninkoko and Hermes too alongside d2x... of course, if you want to.

After these steps, you are pretty much free to do whatever you need with your console... in other words, install games, channels and what not.

Be aware that some homebrew apps needs cIOS versions for them to work properly, one example I can think of is Riivolution, that needs a special cIOS installed in order to function properly, another example I can think of is IOS60 that enables loading channels from SD Channel in Wii Home Menu. On this note, emuNANDs seem to be a popular choice over official SD Channel, so that's another option (emuNAND).

Regarding old console emulation... there's been many achievements in the last years, for instance, almost full compatibility with PS1/PSX games. So many branches/forks of the old branches/forks of the original emulator that It's pretty honest quite confusing to keep up with the latest versions. But I utilize WiiSXRX Preview 4.0 version and I haven't had any problems with PS1 games.
RetroArch is interesting too, since it allows you to load old Arcade games now from the Full Non-Merged MAME2003 romset, and also I'd dare to say 99% compatibility with NEO-GEO roms.
CPS3 emulation is possible too, but it's choppy.
Regarding other systems, such as CPS2, CPS1, FBALPHA and MAME2000, it really depends on the version of RetroArch you download. Here's my old RetroArch Wii "guide"/"tutorial" if you ever want to try Arcade games.
Regarding other systems, such as NES, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA and SEGA Genesis, you're better off with the standalone emulators rather than using RetroArch's cores for said systems. It's a hit or miss thing with speed/audio issues/random crashes... but then again, my RetroArch thread will give you an insight of how RetroArch Wii behaves. You don't have to read the whole thread, just use the Threadmarks as I made important posts regarding RetroArch updates.

For N64, you're better off using official Virtual Console games (21 N64 titles) and you can expand a little bit your N64 library by utilizing Not64 and Wii64. Both has different compatibility issues, so use both if you want.

Nintendont is the GameCube loader by default. It's pretty good, never had an issue with it. So I can't recommend that enough times. It even allows you to load TRIFORCE Arcade games!

Regarding Wii games... I use both USB LoaderGX and CFG USBLoader. Never had an issue with both, and if I'm honest, I prefer CFG over GX, but lately I've been using GX a lot more than CFG because of some video improvements.

Other things you can try are ports of old games to the Wii, which won't be hard to find if you use WiiBrew or take a proper extensive look at the Wii Forum. You might get surprised at all the things the Wii is capable of doing nowaadys.

EDIT: Grammar issues.

Last edited by JuanMena,

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hey, sorry for the long delay, wasn't getting time to do the mod. I did everything correctly and they all got installed. However, I cannot access the HackMii menu, as soon as I access it from the Homebrew app, my display loses input signal while the Wii stays on, So I am just stuck without making any NAND update.

At OP: First of all... clean that ashtray you call a Wii. I'm assuming it's equally horrible in the insides. So, take it apart and clean it, if there's dust on Capcacitors, they might overheat, reducing the lifespan of your ashtray.
Once you've cleaned properly everything inside, it's time for the software side of things.
Hey that's not an ashtray, It gets really dusty here and it's been sitting for 2 years so yeah maybe a dustray would fit the picture description, anyway the Modmii guide suggest that cIOS (Waninkoko + Hermes) isnt required anymore so i dunno about that. I just installed all the ones provided by the modmii.

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Adjust the video mode in your bootmii.ini file to play nicely with your tv, modmii can do this, or bootmii config editor fan as well, or u can do it manually using notepad

After doing this, you should be able to see the bootmii menu and make a nand backup
SO that's the case, alright Ill check it out. another question is which forwarder should I use to load directly into Homebrew channel? I looked into your forwarders thread, but none seem to suggest it for homebrew app.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey that's not an ashtray, It gets really dusty here and it's been sitting for 2 years so yeah maybe a dustray would fit the picture description, anyway the Modmii guide suggest that cIOS (Waninkoko + Hermes) isnt required anymore so i dunno about that. I just installed all the ones provided by the modmii.

Sure, fair enough. Waninkoko and Hermes are quite old, and it's saved couple compatibility problems before.
And as I said in my post: I've never had any issues with my Wii because I think I have "everything covered" because I do have Waninkoko + Hermes + d2x.

Just have it in mind if you encounter some problems. :lol:

Reactions: Blythe93

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Sure, fair enough. Waninkoko and Hermes are quite old, and it's saved couple compatibility problems before.
And as I said in my post: I've never had any issues with my Wii because I think I have "everything covered" because I do have Waninkoko + Hermes + d2x.

Just have it in mind if you encounter some problems. :lol:
Alright ill keep that in mind if I find something fishy going on with the wii in future.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO that's the case, alright Ill check it out. another question is which forwarder should I use to load directly into Homebrew channel? I looked into your forwarders thread, but none seem to suggest it for homebrew app.
Forwarders are channels that appear on the Wii system menu that launch homebrew. Homebrew Channel is installed to the system menu, so a forwarder would be redundant.

I think what you're asking for is autoboot - instead of going to the regular Wii system menu, when you turn on your Wii you want to boot directly into Homebrew Channel.

If that's the case: Priiloader is the simplest solution, it has autoboot settings.

Reactions: HaelStorm and XFlak

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Forwarders are channels that appear on the Wii system menu that launch homebrew. Homebrew Channel is installed to the system menu, so a forwarder would be redundant.

I think what you're asking for is autoboot - instead of going to the regular Wii system menu, when you turn on your Wii you want to boot directly into Homebrew Channel.

If that's the case: Priiloader is the simplest solution, it has autoboot settings.
Oh I see, so how do I set the priiloader to go directly into homebrew? I think the autoboot only takes an installed dol file to work for forwarder?

Oh I see, so how do I set the priiloader to go directly into homebrew? I think the autoboot only takes an installed dol file to work for forwarder?
Never mind I found it, it was the next option to the forwarder. Thanks for the Tip!

Last edited by HaelStorm,

HaelStorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
The guide tells u if u already have the hbc installed that u can use that to launch the hackmii installer instead of an exploit. It doesn't hurt to reinstall, but if you are certain it's already up to date then no need to reinstall
Another thing Xflak, any guide on the emunand? safe way to test wads ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto