Atmosphere CFW for Switch updated to pre-release version 1.7.0, adds support for firmware 18.0.0

switch-atmosphere.png

After a couple days of Nintendo releasing their 18.0.0 firmware update, @SciresM releases a brand new update to his Atmosphere NX custom firmware for the Nintendo Switch, with the new version being a pre-release v1.7.0, which adds basic support for firmware 18.0.0, as well as adding some improvements and bugfixes along the way.

The changelog for version pre-1.7.0 is the following:
Atmosphere NX pre-1.7.0 said:
1.7.0 is Atmosphère's seventy-eighth official release.
Please be sure to update fusee when upgrading to 1.7.0. fusee-primary no longer exists, and will not work any more.
Please note: Atmosphère 1.7.0 is currently in pre-release, and issues may be found that need to be fixed before full release.
  • If any bugs are reported while Atmosphère is in pre-release, they will be fixed and the build will be updated.
  • 1.7.0 will transition to release after a short amount of time has passed without pressing bug reports.
With thanks to the @switchbrew team, Atmosphère 1.7.0 is bundled with hbl 2.4.4, and hbmenu 3.6.0.
The following was changed since the last release:
  • Basic support was added for 18.0.0.
    • The console should boot and atmosphère should be fully functional. However, not all modules have been fully updated to reflect the latest changes.
      • There shouldn't be anything user visible resulting from this, but it will be addressed in a future atmosphère update, once I am not traveling so much.
    • exosphère was updated to reflect the latest official secure monitor behavior.
    • mesosphère was updated to reflect the latest official kernel behavior.
    • spl was updated to reflect the latest official behavior.
  • fusee no longer supports applying IPS patches to KIPs.
    • The only KIPs that are ever present are a) atmosphère modules, b) custom system modules, or c) FS.
    • The IPS subsystem was originally designed to make nogc patches work for FS, but these are now internal, and it appears the literal only kip patches that exist are for piracy.
      • I could not find any kip patches posted anywhere made for any other purpose.
    • It fundamentally does not make sense to slow down boot for every normal user for a feature that has no actual use-case, especially when fusee seeks to be a minimal bootloader.
  • Minor improvements were made to atmosphere's gdbstub, including:
    • Support was added for QStartNoAckMode.
    • An issue was fixed that could cause a fatal error when creating too many breakpoints.
  • A number of minor issues were fixed and improvements were made, including:
    • pt-BR (PortugueseBr) is now accepted as a valid language when overriding game locales.
    • A bug was fixed that could cause atmosphere to incorrectly serialize output object IDs over IPC when using domain objects.
    • A bug was fixed in pm's resource limit boost logic that could potentially cause legitimate boosts to fail in certain circumstances.
    • loader/ro will now throw a fatal error when using invalid IPS patches that go out of bounds, instead of corrupting memory.
    • Support was fixed for booting using a memory configuration of half of the true available memory (e.g. forcing a 4GB configuration on an 8GB board).
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
For information on the featureset supported by 1.7, please see the official release notes.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: GBATemp's Atmosphere NX Discussion Thread

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything working perfectly on my side with the pre release. Just glad the AIO still keeps everything up to date. Only had to grab the new $igpatches manually with ftp.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My emunand backups are Far more space than all games I have saved on my HDD since I don't like most nintendo games...

I probably have already around 1TB or emunand backups and have to do a cleanup, already compressed them to the max with winrar which took 4 ever, but some saved me like 20 GB, sadly this compression method doesn't work with games, their format even makes winrar at max compression to have like 1KB more than the game it self LOL, it would need other compression method that could better support them but would likely take for ever to unpack in my slow 4TB external HDD...

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My emunand backups are Far more space than all games I have saved on my HDD since I don't like most nintendo games...

I probably have already around 1TB or emunand backups and have to do a cleanup, already compressed them to the max with winrar which took 4 ever, but some saved me like 20 GB, sadly this compression method doesn't work with games, their format even makes winrar at max compression to have like 1KB more than the game it self LOL, it would need other compression method that could better support them but would likely take for ever to unpack in my slow 4TB external HDD...
Do you know that you can't compress encrypted data? That is kind of the whole point of encryption, to increase entropy ( which means chaos )
Post automatically merged:

The backup of the games I had «buy» is 1.9 TB :P but well 512 GB SD is more than enough for me.
That's 4 sd cards worth of games, nicely fitting into those typical Switch carry case and you still have plenty of space for another 7 years of Switch game

Last edited by TomSwitch,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know that you can't compress encrypted data? That is kind of the whole point of encryption, to increase entropy ( which means chaos )
I have completely no idea about it, but I know there are crazy compression methods by the community which WinRAR would also only save a few MB and they have a ton less of GB.

The problem was the worse of them took me almost 2 hours to install and way less time to download it:ph34r:

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I simply store all my backups on a external 4tb hdd. I have a 1tb micro sd card in my Switch but when it gets full, I delete games off the Switch and install others from the external. No reason to have the whole Switch collection on your Switch. What happens if that sd card goes bad, or if you lose your Switch? All your backed up games are gone also.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, bro worked fast!

All told, I am okay waiting until a new build of atmosphere, or at least not a pre-release edition. Or suddenly a new game I care about requires the new firmware. Hopefully the former, before the latter.

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
All told, I am okay waiting until a new build of atmosphere, or at least not a pre-release edition. Or suddenly a new game I care about requires the new firmware. Hopefully the former, before the latter.
That's totally fine. From my own experience, everything worked right off the bat except for a few sys modules, MissionControl being the one that I use regularly and one (or both) of those overcloking modules that I don't use. Other than that, I'd say that it's fine to update at this point. Regular users shouldn't have any issues with the latest Atmosphere, despite being in pre-release state. Again, that's just me saying from my own experience. No games yet require 18.0.0 so you're still fine being on a lower firmware.

Reactions: BigOnYa

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
a 512 GB SD give you 60+ games installed, so why do you need a HDD?
I already have a 256 GB SD and I don't have half of installed games. Heavy games are still taxing on the SD and I don't really want to buy another SD (if I do I would want to use it for Android or something else)

It would avoid me the hassle of deleting and downloading games, and when I have friends at home or when I bring my console at a friend's house, it would be neat as hell to have a pretty huge library. Among my friends I'm probably the only one with a hacked console (or at least, nobody has hacked it « as much » as I did) and there are times where one asks me if I game said game or not and I usually say that I used to have it but removed it to make space, which is a bummer

I also remember having that back on my Wii when I hacked mine in middle school, something about the feeling of opening GX loader and seeing the library I had installed on my HDD, it was cool and we were able to play anything we wanted, no lack of space or whatever

Sure, maybe this wouldn't be an issue if I had a bigger SD card, but that's expensive you know :(
And I think that SX OS had some UI to launch the games on HDD ? Makes me think of GX loader too, I think that kind of stuff makes me feel nostalgia, might be weird but hey

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yes. And?
And SciresM do not condone piracy at all. so if something is solely used for piracy will be removed from Atmosphère.

Someone dares to tell what the Hardware overclocking is used only for piracy, but that's no true, some homebrew takes advantage of that.

Even Big N enabled it after sometime later Atmosphère created it.

NotUsingAnAltAccount

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Piracy topics all the time. For me sysdvr was the main reason to get a modded OLED as I'm hooking it up Switch with my pocket projector (Android) and playing with mates on the city walls after work mostly. Now without any cables thanks to the new version + Android app. Beer, pizza or something else and a big screen gaming on a fresh air. Huge microsd card lets me keep everything that I want/have + titles for (at least) 2 players.

That being said, please buy the games you're playing. Buy physical, sell, add some money, buy new one and so on or simply swap with someone. I know they're expensive. Just ignore that it's on a console from Nintendo (if you hate them), look more at devs. Especially when it comes to indie games as they really, really need the money.

Reactions: Blythe93

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed the new Atmosphere version with success, then I updated to 18.0.0 with daybreak and now I get a fatal error when I boot atmosphere :unsure:

Code:
A fatal error occurred when running Atmosphère
Program ID: 01000000000bd00
Error Dec: std::abort() called (0xffe)
Report saved...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtS4xlffyuI