Hacking Banner Editing Tutorial

ppkhoa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think we should change it because they are good enough like showing information directly from the icon to the channel banner so changing Nintendo Original Channel isn't a good idea ...

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lemonadess said:
Can we change the banner of original Nintendo channels such as Photo channel, Internet Channel, Mii Channel?
I extracted the banner.bin file and received error "runtime overflow''
You'll need to decompress the banner.bin file with gbalzss. Tutorial on how to do that is in my first post, but i don't see why you would want to. Like ppkhoa said, they look better as they are unless you can figure out how to decrypt and edit .brlan files
ohmy.gif

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds interesting im gona look into this more! By the way. Is there any possible way to move the disc channel or do something to it, in any way? lol.

exoskelett

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a problem:

If I try to extract the 00000000.app with u8extr.exe, it says "Fichero extraido correctamente" (which should be the right message), but threre's no 00000000_app_out folder anywhere oO

I would be pleased if someone helped me
happy.gif

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
exoskelett said:
I have a problem:

If I try to extract the 00000000.app with u8extr.exe, it says "Fichero extraido correctamente" (which should be the right message), but threre's no 00000000_app_out folder anywhere oO

happy.gif
On the second line of the program change the folder name to something else, then extract again
smile.gif

exoskelett

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
deba94 said:
exoskelett said:
I have a problem:

happy.gif
On the second line of the program change the folder name to something else, then extract again
smile.gif
Thx, the program converted a "." into a "_" so the folder was somewhere else.

Next problem:
If I want to extract banner.arc, the u8extr shows me an error-message. What did I do wrong?
Sry for bothering...

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I plan to update the tutorial very soon, actually. I'm working on an automatic banner creator for homebrew channels. (VC banners have gone a long way and stopped requiring me so i decided to work on the homebrew part
tongue.gif
). Thanks for the english tools anyways, WB3000.
wink.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
deba94 said:
I plan to update the tutorial very soon, actually. I'm working on an automatic banner creator for homebrew channels. (VC banners have gone a long way and stopped requiring me so i decided to work on the homebrew part
tongue.gif
). Thanks for the english tools anyways, WB3000.
wink.gif
Wow that would be a sweet tool! best luck in your development.

One thing i'm thinking is, since a lot of homebrew has support for "return to loader" but not "return to system menu" and this causes the annoying code dump error on unofficial channels, would it be difficult to say build a patcher that modifies compiled apps to change the reboot to system menu instead?
(this question isn't aimed at anyone in particular and a bit off topic sorry but i thought it better to keep it all in 1 post)

Of course it would make more sense to me if more original homebrew devs included this, but only some seem to... i like to have my favourite apps as individual channels rather than having to run through the homebrew channel.

Bo Frost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi ppl!
i really would like to translate this nice tutorial to german and add how to get around the error -4100 ret. i know the tut is originally from eltoraldo but since i dont understand spanish i´m asking you,deba94, for your permission to translate it for some german forums. all credits as in the tutorial of course.

btw. 1 question.: i packed a new sound bin into my wad but the music only plays one time and then stops. how can i make an endless loop ?

greetings from germany!

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bo Frost said:
Hi ppl!
i really would like to translate this nice tutorial to german and add how to get around the error -4100 ret. i know the tut is originally from eltoraldo but since i dont understand spanish i´m asking you,deba94, for your permission to translate it for some german forums. all credits as in the tutorial of course.

btw. 1 question.: i packed a new sound bin into my wad but the music only plays one time and then stops. how can i make an endless loop ?

greetings from germany!
Go right ahead
smile.gif
. The more people know the better. There is just ONE condition... In the credits section, you must link to the origional spanish tutorial (and this one if you wish).

As for the sound, we are still working on getting it to loop. I will definitely update the post on how to once its figured out
smile.gif

Bo Frost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks a lot!
i just linked here and to elotrolado. if anyone is interested you can take a look here.
maybe there are some german speaking ppl here who have just been waiting for this.
if anyone still getting the error -4100 ret, i recommend to use the batch files that come with wwwpacker to patch for your IOS version. this should solve the problem. i had to use the _wwpacker-IOS35.bat, everything else gave me errors. those batch files simplify and speed up the whole process and i use them in the translated tutorial.

Thanks again, i´m very happy now
grog.gif

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bah, I should have said something. The banner editing for virtual console tutorial does not work. I'd recommend removing it before you get flooded with questions
smile.gif

Bo Frost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no problem, i´m going to change it tomorrow. funny,thats the only part of the tutorial that i havent tried by myself because i´m not very interested in vc stuff.

btw.: found this article and some other info about the sound.bin used in the homebrew channel, with the short intro and loop. i guess you guys already know. since i can not handle the c# sourcecode of BNRSound.cs, i´m not able to play around with it. anyway,i think this tool is for ripping the sound only, not for packing it back in the correct format to make it loop. but i´m not sure. does anybody know a little more about this?

Sperion said:
deba94 said:
Bah, I should have said something. The banner editing for virtual console tutorial does not work. I'd recommend removing it before you get flooded with questions
smile.gif

For VC games he can use this topic http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=91206

@Sperion: If it works accurate, i would be interested to use it for my german translation, just to make the tutorial complete. hope thats ok for you. even i´m not really into vc games, others might be very interested.

have to go to bed now, its already 0:30am in germany...

Kind regards, Bo Frost

deba94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The tutorial IS accurate, though every console is different in its own way. Sperion's tutorial works perfectly for SNES injects, not perfectly for anything else. Other consoles will require more tweaking and more hex editing -- which the tutorial does not explain on the first page. If you want to make a proper tutorial, you'll end up rewriting one entirely
tongue.gif
. Best thing to do is wait for HowardC to publish his all in one banner maker. It will have support for every console so the VC tutorial will be ruled out entirely. (Then again, so will my banner editing tutorial for homebrew channels when i release my tool
tongue.gif
).

Bo Frost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok, now i understand better. i think i will just leave it as it is for now.
so theres going to be an all in one vc banner maker and a tool for homebrew channels too, sounds very interesting. i think i ´ll better wait until these get released(hopefully).

another question: i´ve searched for hours now on how to change the title id of my finished homebrew wad. i used the wii homebrew launcher to create it. the title id is WHL. i modified the .tik and .tmd with a hex editor for changing the tilte to WRC. the new created wad gives me an error -2011 ret when installing it on the wii. tried several things but i always get this error.
can anyone help me out? i really dont have a clue how to to this.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deba94 said:
(Then again, so will my banner editing tutorial for homebrew channels when i release my tool
tongue.gif
).

I'd like to get in on that, at least in some respects. I hadn't mentioned it publically because, well I have enough crap to work on with the vcfe, but after it's done, I wanted to make the various open-source homebrew emulators "vc compatable". By that I mean I want to make vc-style custom banners for each with a custom color scheme (still working on the code to alter colors) and add the ability to auto-load a rom if it's placed in the emulators wad along with it. I know a lot of people find that kind of thing counter-productive, (Why not just use the homebrew channel and load the rom in the emulators gui? ect...) but personally, due to the limited space on the wii's drive and the current limitations on flash media, I just like to keep a select few vc games on my wii and it'd be nice to be able to load them with a single click.

Metroid II comes to mind.... There's no gameboy vc releases and I really don't want to have to go into the homebrew channel... wait for that to load... go into the vba emulator... wait for that to load.... select a rom... and wait for that to load just to play metroid II, which is pretty much the ONLY gameboy game I care about.

So long story short.... keep me posted.
smile.gif

Shadowluigi323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question, What Hex Editor was used in those pictures. All the ones i get give me different value's i really appreciate if someone tells me or gives me link to it.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is sad. His 2 movies were good. Informative about our food industry.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This was one of the craziest movies I've seen about our food industry, lots of stuff I didn't know. A must see. https://youtu.be/OqzjC-ENrl8?si=GYxmdY5nShzGniVi
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Oh, that dude?
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?