Hacking Banner Editing Tutorial

Destian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me why the TPL Converter greatly reduces the number of colors I've used? Is there a predefined color chart?

EDIT: Nevermind, RGB565. : / Does anyone know if there is a way to edit in this mode in photoshop?

EDIT Again: I don't know much about image formats, but according to Wikipedia, RGB565 has 65,535 colors and I seem much more limited than that. Could it have to do with the way we are replacing the images (the same reason we are limited in image size?)

EDIT Again: Ok, maybe not more limited than 16-bit, but Nintendo's Disc Channel seem to have no problem with the gradient on the bottom. I don't get it.

SH&E

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo are probably laughing in our faces right now with a program that does it all in one click xD
Still, great tutorial
smile.gif

Shame it won't come in handy for me, I don't need to edit any banners atm... Interesting however
smile.gif

AetherMaster

Aether
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about something, maybe somebody could help me.

I was editing a WAD and opened ZlphaahplA.tpl in banner_bin_out\timg by accident. It was in fact an image. It had credits on it, was set to have an alpha color and unlike the other images, it used RGB583 instead of RGB565. Is this important that I shouldn't touch it, or can I freely edit it? Thanks

Josie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
AetherMaster said:
I have a question about something, maybe somebody could help me.

I was editing a WAD and opened ZlphaahplA.tpl in banner_bin_out\timg by accident. It was in fact an image. It had credits on it, was set to have an alpha color and unlike the other images, it used RGB583 instead of RGB565. Is this important that I shouldn't touch it, or can I freely edit it? Thanks

I suggest you not to touch it unless you know exactly what you're doing. A small error can easily cause a bricked wii.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Just to let people know. If you do not follow directions well..especially if you can't read and look at the translation right...then don't even attempt this!! There has been way too many people out there editing stuff and posting it on GBATemp.... test it yourself! Posting a wad that bricks someone's Wii should be automatic dismissal of membership here. People are being to careless and impatient and causing a major ripple in the world of Wii Hacking... so stop! You know who the hell you are. I haven't bricked mine..but I have seen some good members here get their shit bricked because of some careless editing.

TEST YOUR WAD YOURSELF BEFORE LINKING IT! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Not trying to be a dick..just be careful!

Harlay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
How to compress the banner.bin and icon.bin for homebrew with u8pack?
I'm use u8pack 0.08, it supports compress with lz77.
But it don't show me the icon and banner in the wii channel.
It's ok if I don't compress the banner.bin and icon.bin.

Nintendog66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having a problem, I get to step 7.5 where I have to overwrite the 00000000.app file but when I try do it I get "Error: El archivo no esta firmado con MD5"(Error: The file is not signed with MD5). Can anyone help me please?

Harlay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
The compressed of banner.bin and icon.bin for homebrew work fine now.
I just use the c.exe in the "Easy Banner Maker - BETA2 (PARADOX)" instead of the gbalzss.exe call by the u8pack.exe.
I think that Wii used LZ77 to compress file, but the gbalzss.exe is LZSS.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does anyone know how to fix the video in a .wad??? I can hear the audio but there is no video signal, unless I use the normal A/V cable that came with the Wii; with the component cables, there is no video signal only audio, Damn..!!
frown.gif

Keeley

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mrkinator said:
Quick Question, I see some channels (like the gamma channel) that don't use 112x32pixles.

The tutorial says you must, is there something they're doing different?

yeah i was wondering bout that 2 cuz it looks my edit looks kinda gay switching to a smaller pic of it xD and i was also wondering if i can stop it from switching from a normal sized pic to a smaller size pic (like the homebrew channel)

EDIT: But the homebrew channel's kinda different cuz it was installed as thru Twilight Princess so i'll use another example the GeckoOS channel i have doesn't change pics.

nanook

Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
This is my first GBA Temp post ;-)

I'm late to the party... I'm trying to edit a banner (opening.bnr) in an ISO. I keep getting a dark blurry picture :-(

I'm just trying to prove it works by extracting the files, then packing them back up. No editing as yet. I've managed to get the original banner to load as well as the tetris one. Both are dark and blurry. :-(

I hope you can help.

Here's payment in advance for your help...

TPLConv & U8Pack - Spanish to English conversions (All Text, I think).

If you have any suggestions with non perfect translations please PM me. I just knocked them up yesterday before I started using them. Feel free to post them in the main archive for this post.

Thanks,
Nanook

nanook

Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
I've just discovered that the compression is causing it (I think). If the opening.bnr file size is larger than about about 500k the wii will hang (I read this in this thread and I've seen it myself).

I took the Tetris channel from the first post. Extracted the banner.bin and icon.bin. Replaced them in my opening.bnr. I compressed the banner and did not compress the icon.bin. The Banner was dark and blurry, the Icon was perfect.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Nanook

nanook

Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
Harlay said:
The compressed of banner.bin and icon.bin for homebrew work fine now.
I just use the c.exe in the "Easy Banner Maker - BETA2 (PARADOX)" instead of the gbalzss.exe call by the u8pack.exe.
I think that Wii used LZ77 to compress file, but the gbalzss.exe is LZSS.

Ha, the answer was staring me in the face. Well done to Harlay, this fixed the compression. I was able to take a disc banner and extract all the files, rebuild the whole thing (with compression) and it worked perfectly...

I wrote a simple little exe to replace gbalzss.exe all it does is display a message box displaying the commandline passed to it. This allowed me to pause the banner.bin creation from the parent program. I then used the c.exe mentioned above to do the compression manually. Pressing ok on the messagebox let the rest of the work happen (header being added etc). The resulting banner ended up 8 bytes less than the original and worked perfectly.

I may get my exe to ask if you want to call the other compressor so things can be done a bit simpler until people update their apps (if ever).

Hope this helps some people.

Cheers,
Nanook

nanook

Trophies
Website
www.scorehero.com
XP
Country
Here's a tiny app to allow apps using gbalzss.exe to use c.exe for compression.

1. Download
2. Run it, it will tell you what to do.

gbalzss.exe to c.exe

ALSO: The users who are getting the overflow error when opening banners. It's because U8pack.exe doesn't appear to work when importing compressed banners. HowardC's U8tool9.0 works really well. Tested with this app also ;-)

Be careful when using U8pack and U8tool as U8pack doesn't export the "meta" folder, so when packing files with U8tool the internal structure is not correct.

EDIT: I meant to write U8extr.exe doesn't create the "meta" folder. U8pack doesn't do the extracting. Oops.

Cheers,
Nanook

bozzer123

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone update this tutorial or point me in the right direction of a tutorial about editing banners on a disc?

thanks!
ps can you tell me where to get the "c.exe" from easy banner maker beta 2 as rapidshare wont work for me
sad.gif

Well?

OMIGHTY1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, this tutorial highly failed for me. I couldn't read a word, and all of the filenames, even at the start, were all wrong.
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf