OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgsfdsyo said:
I was using the wadpacker and wadunpacker from the "New VC Injector."
I had healthii installed but I didn't think of using those files until that error kept on pestering me from completion.
kekeke, I ended up making the NTSC version of Super Smash Bros; with improved controls.

The Japanese VC release of Super Smash Bros made the the controls similar to melee/brawl in that D-Pad is to taunt and Z is to grab.
The Paradox injection of Super Smash Bros had Z as taunt and R was the grab button.

Using this technique, injecting the NTSC version now enables these "better" controls without region differences.
They never really bothered me, but pestered my friends.

Many thanks Masa + WiiBlaster.
I didn't know that... 'Nice to hear.

fgsfdsyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty, I think this ROMC method is only going to work for games of the same type but of different regions with minor differences. I say this because I've tried a handful of games to switch with the ROMC of this, and they all freeze at the classic controller screen. However, the only successful romc switch I've gotten working is that same Super Smash Bros and that was just replacing the same game.

I'm guessing there has to be an updated injector?

masamunecyrus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgsfdsyo said:
In all honesty, I think this ROMC method is only going to work for games of the same type but of different regions with minor differences. I say this because I've tried a handful of games to switch with the ROMC of this, and they all freeze at the classic controller screen. However, the only successful romc switch I've gotten working is that same Super Smash Bros and that was just replacing the same game.

I'm guessing there has to be an updated injector?
I was under the impression that the injector simply automated this process, but it doesn't have romc support. Mischief Makers got through the intro before freezing when you press START on the title screen. The problem isn't the method, it's the fact that these VC emulators are very game specific. :-/

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Apr 7 2009, 01:42 AM) so no dk64? noooooooooooo
Do you have Windows XP? I can't test them on my Vista machine and I've not tested DK64. It shouldn't take you more than 30 or 40 minutes your first time if you wanted to try to test it yourself.

masenko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
masamunecyrus said:
fgsfdsyo said:
[edit] I found the err in my ways, I was using a different wadpacker than masa.
Worked perfectly.
Thanks for the instructions.

I have Vista and (though I haven't tried booting in Safe Mode) HowardC's u8tool doesn't work. I tried using a different tool (u8extr.exe) which did in fact work, but after the whole process was done and I installed the wad and tried to run the VC game, it just gave me data corruption errors. Nevertheless, if you use the tools I posted the instructions for on Windows XP or Windows 7 (or maybe Windows Vista in safe mode, but I haven't tested it), it should work.

i still can't get this to work but with u8tool right clicking and running as admin works for me on vista
edit: got it working, i had to type full path location of my rom as well

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
so no dk64? noooooooooooo

I tried this for you and ,while I'm not sure that the romc tool even works with majora's mask, I did try compressing Donkey Kong 64 with it and injecting it into the PAL wad. (Haven't tried NTSC despite my Wii being NTSC-U, but it was late at night and didn't feel like trying it again.)

The result, a black screen after the n64 logo. But again, it's not certain this is the issue. Because I can't get the romc to unpack a majora's mask rom that will work in an emulator, I'm not confident in it's ability to compress either assuming this game using a new compression standard, something I suspect it is.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering all the time if its possible to inject OCT Masterquest... has this been done already? This would be awesome.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
G0dLiKe said:
I am wondering all the time if its possible to inject OCT Masterquest... has this been done already? This would be awesome.

I actually did this last night, and I can say that yes it is possible.

I got Ocarina of Time, injected it. And once I saw the emulation was fine, I went ahead and took a screenshot to edit the icons to match master quest, change the year to 2003, etc.

The result is almost perfect. It only shows up as white in the channel, but when you select it, it works fine.

I was quite proud of myself. It was my first working inject, and I didn't use Autoinjectuwad. (I hate that app. It never has worked for me and has the most idiotic limitations.)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont need to injected Majora's mask since nintendo released it for VC anyway. Its better than injected into the rom.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:
You dont need to injected Majora's mask since nintendo released it for VC anyway. Its better than injected into the rom.

Still, it's well worth figuring out how the game compression works for injection purposes. This is the only VC release I know of that may allow expansion pack games to work.

I would consider the tutorial valid if the romc tool could produce a rom from the wad that works in project64, but I have not had such luck thus far.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
actually the best rom to inject is sin and punishment it has the best compatibility of all others see my posts on the first page for an entire WIKI of test results n64 games a-z (even hacked roms were tested)

check the bottom of this page:
http://vettacossx.wordpress.com/about/

Note:
(wordpress is a pain in the ass with firefox i use it 2 i know
frown.gif
so you might need to refresh or go from the main page to the about tab)

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
actually the best rom to inject is sin and punishment it has the best compatibility of all others see my posts on the first page for an entire WIKI of test results n64 games a-z (even hacked roms were tested)

Sin and Punishment is a good base, yes. And it's one I've had some success with. But the point here is that some games required the expansion pack to work. If you can inject into Majora's Mask, there is a chance you can get some games to work that needed the expansion pack. (Donkey Kong 64 being my favorite, but also Perfect Dark, and maybe others.)

Sin and Punishment's emulator won't work with games that needed the expansion pack because it itself didn't need the expansion pack. So despite the compatibility of that emulator version, it has its limitations.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
well have a look at that wiki bro thats really the important part of that post
wink.gif
i was just speaking from my own tests pokemon snap isnt to bad ether i used sin and punishment and snap for most all mine and had no problems with exp packs you can usually continue w/ out to much trouble and if you follow that wiki ALL THOSE are fully tested and confirmed
wink.gif
as you can see zelda was used when it could be but its good to try each N64 games that is LARGER IN SIZE because success will very onb the base roms emulation needs keeping in mind EACH GAME HAS A EMULATOR WITHIN THE WAD OBVIOUSLY...If you keep that in mind you realize that if a game like say ki GOLD or Goldeneye (wont happen now but none the less) or conkers bad fur day were ever released we would have with it the PWN of hosts (alot of emulation is required to run games like rares conker or k>i> gold)

Thats what i want is a killer hard to emulate large rom to be released officially and hopefully without any "patches" so we can use it for emulating those awesome high requirement titles (the bigger roms)

There was a guy on youtube who claimed that you can hex edit kirby crystal shards to host goldeneye but he bricked several times testing his wad in the process
ohmy.gif

so there is also room for better injection software if thats the case...

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
well have a look at that wiki bro thats really the important part of that post
wink.gif
i was just speaking from my own tests pokemon snap isnt to bad ether i used sin and punishment and snap for most all mine and had no problems with exp packs you can usually continue w/ out to much trouble and if you follow that wiki ALL THOSE are fully tested and confirmed
wink.gif

The reason you probably haven't had much problems with the expansion pack is because there are very few games on the system that required it to play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_a...s#Expansion_Pak

Even according to the compatibility list you link to, none of the games that required the expansion pack work with Sin and Punishment. And a decent number of games that could simply use it wouldn't work with it either.

The point is, Majora's Mask's emulator may be able to handle several games that the Sin and Punishment and Pokemon Snap emulators can't.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
as i said i am not arguing with you bud im simply saying that list will provide some resource that it organized and all well tested
wink.gif
i was speaking from the fact that if you look through thaT VERY LIST YOU WILL FIND many GAMES ARE PLAYABLE (REGARDLESS) under sin and punishment AND IT IS THE ROM YOU WILL FIND IN THE GREEN MOST OFTEN
wink.gif
that is all...I wont continue to discuss this because i know that without a larger more compatable rom we wont see games like conker and banjo and all the classic rareware (tbh those are the games we all care about the most if someone managed to inject those proper then i bet you would see people caring more to use rom injectors but this thread was dead FOR A LONG TIME...

(seems as though no one cares to do this when we know that the new N64 emulator for wii by emukidd is right around the corner and all other consoles can be emulated its to bad this wasnt bumped months ago because tbh its outdated tech as soon as emukidds n64 is dropped so it would be a waste of time to make a new gui even if it DID somehow allow those roms to be injected like 007 goldeneye. I posted a youtube video of emukidds wii64 playing 007 goldeneye B4 it has a dynamic recompiler
wink.gif
6 months ago!)

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to argue about it either, I was just trying to express a point. I do agree that Sin and Punishment is the most compatible under normal conditions.

Though I'm curious about the size limitation you speak of. I was under the impression that roms of any size could be injected if you used U8tool to unpack the 0000005.app, replace the rom, and repack, then just edit the tmd to have the new checksum using a hex editor.

What tools are you using that have the file size restrictions?

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
its not injecting the large rom thats the issue its getting large roms LIKE CONKER,KI GOLD,TUROK 2,BANJO,GOLDENEYE to be playable after injected that is the point and sin and punishment is the best for that...no?

that are being emulated (and if you have used emulators and saw ANY n64 as it is being deved you KNOW that the requirements to make a game like this work are SPECIFIC
By this i mean that the very fact ANY OTHER GAME WORKS by injecting it is due to the EMULATOR MEANT TO RUN THAT GAME so without a better "emulator within a wad officially" the compatibility remains LOW for those high requirement games like KILLER INSTINCT and 007...

Say nothing of the fact remaining that rom injection is ALL BUT OBSELETE when even emulators can be loaded from a Usb loader...Its just a pointless endeavor IMO to even bother but of course there is always people who feel differently and thats respectable but at the same time self defeating...

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
its not injecting the large rom thats the issue its getting large roms LIKE CONKER,KI GOLD,TUROK 2,BANJO,GOLDENEYE to be playable after injected that is the point and sin and punishment is the best for that...no?

I'm not entirely sure if you mean large rom as in size, or large as in popular. Because Goldeneye for example, is around 12 MB.

If you mean getting popular games to run, then I would agree that Sin and Punishment is USUALLY the best option. But there is always the possibility the newer emulators will get those games to run.

vettacossx said:
that are being emulated (and if you have used emulators and saw ANY n64 as it is being deved you KNOW that the requirements to make a game like this work are SPECIFIC
By this i mean that the very fact ANY OTHER GAME WORKS by injecting it is due to the EMULATOR MEANT TO RUN THAT GAME so without a better "emulator within a wad officially" the compatibility remains LOW for those high requirement games like KILLER INSTINCT and 007...

Yes, I have seen the requirements of some games given my experience with emulation of Nintendo 64 games on the PC with a variety of emulators, so I know what you're talking about. But again, newer VC releases may end up resulting in these games running. It's still hard to say for certain.

QUOTE(vettacossx @ Sep 27 2009, 03:52 PM)
Say nothing of the fact remaining that rom injection is ALL BUT OBSELETE when even emulators can be loaded from a Usb loader...Its just a pointless endeavor IMO to even bother but of course there is always people who feel differently and thats respectable but at the same time self defeating...

Well, if Wii64 works perfectly on the games, then I'm fine with using that. I prefer homebrew emulators, so I'll only really bother with injection if the games won't run with homebrew emulators well. Unfortunately though, Wii64 doesn't have the best compatibility yet. Even with the youtube videos, from what I understand they're compiling development builds. I'd rather use virtual console injects until a homebrew emulator capable of doing the same thing is stable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1