Hacking Majora's Mask VC Injection tutorial

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys stop arguing and just make DK64 work dammit!
smileipb2.png

On the plus side, I found my N64 power adapter and can play it for real now, but it would be nice to have it on the Wii.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
You guys stop arguing and just make DK64 work dammit!
smileipb2.png

Believe me, I'd be trying it if they figured out the compression method for this game completely. Newer VC releases are using a new compression type that I don't believe has been figured out yet. Once they figure it out and can make a decompressor/compressor, we'll be in business. Then we just need to hope the emulator can handle it.

QUOTE said:
wii64 is almost ready just have patience

I normally would, but I see no reason to wait if I can get a few games running perfectly by injecting them. The Wii N64 emulator is sort of like the PSP N64 emulator to me. They both say they'll be coming, both have development builds of people getting better and better speeds. And all the time I wonder, why the hell bother if you can't get playable speed?

I have nothing against emulator developers. But I think that unless you can get games running at a playable speed on it, it's not a very useful application.

Now, the Wii N64 one shows more promise, since they may actually have something getting decent speed. But until I see a stable or at least official build with these speeds, I'll use injects instead. (Or play them on my PC..... The Wii is more of a convenience in this case.)

The Nintendo N64 emulator is and always will be better than the homebrew ones. Not saying that the homebrew ones are bad, but Nintendo is, you know, a big company with a lot of resources and a larger knowledge of the system.

That depends on what you would consider to be better. Snes9xgx, for instance, is able to load roms from usb, sd, DVD, network. The Nintendo one is only able to load only one game without major reconfiguration, and God help you if it'll run many other games. (They do have a different emulator for each game.) So when you think about it, Nintendo's emulator isn't really efficient.

Now, generally officially released games with Nintendo's emulator are emulated perfectly. But many of them, the snes and nes ones are ones I can think of off the top of my head, were playable perfectly or with very minor issues on a variety of platforms before Nintendo's efforts.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
i dont thingk its hardley fair to compare EMUKIDD (a coder with a rep of doing EXACTLY as he promises) to STRMNRMN the coder who admitidly takes 6 month breaks in between deving and has never coded SHIT before that and has about 1% of the rep EmuKidd does ....

MAY I JUST POINT OUT 4 min into the second video for you
wink.gif
to prove the point that emulation has already far surpassed injection methods.. (im trying to save you and others time but what else can i do other than show you right?)

This is like comparing the sun and moon...while they are boith alike there also both very very different lol Please beleave emukidd isnt fuckin around if he bothers to help a project he has ALWAYS saw it through to the end and let me just show you this:

THAT IS 6 MONTHS AGO SO YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT ITS LIKE NOW SEE THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST..

or i can show you? compare f zero and then tell me the wii64 team devs as slowly as the psp daedlious emu by strnmnrmn (you will note on his blog in his first release i was one the first comments so yes i do keep up infact i contributed to the psp scene long b4 the wii scene existed
tongue.gif

THE WII IS IN MUCH BETTER SHAPE MAN! LOL (though i know what you mean with the psp that shit has dragged on far to long IMO but lets not have to take out the old "your wii is not a psp " thread
tongue.gif
lmao)

I was curious where did you read up about the new games having different compressions? Has anyone said they are working on that atm bro?

http://emulatemii.com/

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
i dont thingk its hardley fair to compare EMUKIDD (a coder with a rep of doing EXACTLY as he promises) to STRMNRMN the coder who admitidly takes 6 month breaks in between deving and has never coded SHIT before that and has about 1% of the rep EmuKidd does ....

A very good point. I have used some of emukidd's things and they do work as they say.

Again, I have nothing against developers. I just tend to only really trust stable software. I'll be more than willing to use Wii64 once it's stable and will play a decent number of games.

QUOTE said:
THE WII IS IN MUCH BETTER SHAPE MAN! LOL (though i know what you mean with the psp that shit has dragged on far to long IMO but lets not have to take out the old "your wii is not a psp " thread
tongue.gif
lmao)

Mostly. My PSP can still emulate PS1 games. Not something I hold against the Wii though. PS1 games are something I've heard will be improved too.

I was curious where did you read up about the new games having different compressions? Has anyone said they are working on that atm bro?

Well, some of it I read up on from various places on here. One topic has a guy mentioning difficulty with injecting the original rom into Super Mario RPG due to the new compression. (USA version has a new compression type.) And another topic mentioning difficulty with injecting the gamecube Majora's Mask into the normal Majora's Mask wad. In each case, they tried using standard compression tools, and they were not able to produce a rom that could work on a PC emulator, nor were they able to produce a rom that would inject into the game. (And you know if the compression was figured out, it would work. It's like the same reason Master Quest works perfectly injected into normal Ocarina of Time. Almost the same game underneath.)

I believe there may be someone working on the new compression, but I'm not entirely certain. I just recall seeing a google code page mentioning it.

http://code.google.com/p/dsdecmp/

Someone mentioned it in the issues, but I'm not sure where the author is in dealing with it.

In any case, both of those games are good candidates for rom injection. Majora's Mask has the expansion pack, potentially allowing expansion pack requiring games to work, and Super Mario RPG was a very advanced game for the Super Nintendo since it had an SA-1 chip, and several games requiring that chip may be able to work.

Of course, in the snes's case there is snes9x. But that's more of an example. I'm mostly interested in getting Donkey Kong 64 to run. And I can't really attempt that using Majora's Mask until the compression is figured out.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country

\My own wii using a compiled version of the OLD RELEASE

The WIISX emulator is being developed AT THE SAME TIME by the SAME TEAM
wink.gif
so thats good news for ya bro
wink.gif
the fact they can dev 2 emus in the time it takes most to do 1
wink.gif

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
The WIISX emulator is being developed AT THE SAME TIME by the SAME TEAM
wink.gif
so thats good news for ya bro
wink.gif
the fact they can dev 2 emus in the time it takes most to do 1
wink.gif

Yeah. It looks like they've improved that a good deal. I'm glad they're taking the effort to improve it.

Hopefully Wii64 will be able to replace the virtual console emulator. I would prefer to use a homebrew emulator after all.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
im going to see if i cant source the newest (released) code to compile for the wii64 and check to see if DK64 runs your right that sure would be alot of fun to play again on the wii
smile.gif

Do let me know how that runs. I may actually compile a dev build and put it on my Wii if it works with that game.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i dont think the svn source has been updated since last november
frown.gif
they must just be working on it locally

just looked through the issues page and i see a lot of - "Consider this fixed when beta 1 is released" so beta1 source is under wraps

edit: last svn update Mar 20, 2009

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty